Processing Poultry

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I haven't processed chickens in a few years, but I know that some of you do. However, I have watched a few people talk about processing their chickens and how they do it.

One of the best things that I have seen is this guy, Herrick Kimball, who sells books and parts for what it takes to make your own tools to help people process their chickens. He has designs for a plucker and a scalder. He says that anyone can make them . He sells other stuff to help with poultry processing.
He has worked on designs for scalding, plucking, shrink wrapped bags.

He also has a few good videos to help process poultry.

POULTRY PROCESSING | Planet Whizbang

Maybe some of you have or have used a chicken plucker. He sells the materials to make your own. I think there are other places that sell them.

He sells the parts.

I haven't processed chickens in a few years, but I know that some of you do. However, I have watched a few people talk about processing their chickens and how they do it.

One of the best things that I have seen is this guy, Herrick Kimball, who sells books and parts for what it takes to make your own tools to help people process their chickens. He has designs for a plucker and a scalder. He says that anyone can make them . He sells other stuff to help with poultry processing.
He has worked on designs for scalding, plucking, shrink wrapped bags.

He also has a few good videos to help process poultry.

POULTRY PROCESSING | Planet Whizbang

Maybe some of you have or have used a chicken plucker. He sells the materials to make your own. I think there are other places that sell them.

He sells the parts.

He has a YT channel and has an older blog and a current gardening blog. He has other "whizbang" products also.

He has an engineering mind, so he likes to take tasks and make them easier and precise.
I was willing to pay $2 each for his clothes pins several years ago. To this day, they are still in excellent condition and my favorites.

I have one of his Whizbang books somewhere, and ordered a copy for our son, too. Alot of people like chicken pluckers, and they sure cost alot. I've never used one. Alot of the time I just skin them. The meat chickens (cornish) I just did, I skinned. Although the turkeys I usually pluck, unless I'm just doing ground meat, then I don't bother.

I got a plucker straight from China 3 years ago. I can't order stuff from N. America because of shipping costs. Postage usually costs more than the item. A whiz bang 6 years ago would have cost $600. I got a plucker for far less than that.

This year I went to use it and the mice had chewed off every last finger. I go on line and fingers from the US would have cost $70
plus customs and duty and $78.00 postage. I ordered from China, postage free for $46.00.

I can do 25 birds a day with a plucker and six to ten without. I always pluck. Skin is high fat and I want that fat for cooking all things chicken.

Latest posts

Back