Quest For Salt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@elkhound look, they are doing the best they can, they are trying, there’s the hope. But doesn’t look like enough for anything. Barter and trade at the market. Some are so very thin.
Do you know what country this is in? What year this was? I wonder what else is in the salt they are mining.
Meanwhile, in other places we’re stacking up food for the future. :(
I don’t use much extra salt but I do have some.
Significance of Roman soldiers’ salary in salt. Imagine that. (Salary means salt).
Also imagine an expiration date on salt…there isn’t. Salt that’s been in the earth for hundreds or thousands of years and it’s a pretty color, package it up, put a pretty label on it proclaiming exotic origins and an expiration date. You can check for it in the craft aisle at Wally World.

@elkhound look, they are doing the best they can, they are trying, there’s the hope. But doesn’t look like enough for anything. Barter and trade at the market. Some are so very thin.
Do you know what country this is in? What year this was? I wonder what else is in the salt they are mining.
Meanwhile, in other places we’re stacking up food for the future. :(
I don’t use much extra salt but I do have some.
Significance of Roman soldiers’ salary in salt. Imagine that. (Salary means salt).
Also imagine an expiration date on salt…there isn’t. Salt that’s been in the earth for hundreds or thousands of years and it’s a pretty color, package it up, put a pretty label on it proclaiming exotic origins and an expiration date. You can check for it in the craft aisle at Wally World.

Not sure what look they are doing best can means..i am not pointing a finger at them...i am pointing out the IMPORTANCE of salt...and what we humans do for it if and when we dont have salt.

fully aware of origin of our word salary came from word salt too.

this video should show us how important salt it..i know you know its importance...others might not...so i posted it here...this is just a short clip to a much larger documentary show..i dont know if or when it will get posted by Slice(name of utube channel).

years ago i told family how much better Himalayan salt tastes.they thought i was crazy till they tried it. then they started getting it themselves. during c-19 the source they bought from went away and they ran out of salt and started worrying...lol...i had to fill salt reserves up and keep them in salt till they could find it again. different salts have different tastes to them. i keep multiple types around.

@Patchouli

from video description

The Borana are semi-nomadic pastoralists who live in southern Ethiopia, along the Kenyan border. They have extracted salt from this enormous deposit formed by the volcano as long as anyone can remember.

It lies at the bottom of the El Sod crater lake. The men use poles with pointed tips to break up the lake bed. The mud forms a hard, compact and thick crust; they have to work hard, and hit it as hard as they can to crack it.

Documentary: Becoming a man among the Borana

Directed by: Jean Queyrat

Production: ZED

We fully own the rights to the use of the published content.
Any illegal reproduction of this content will result in immediate legal action.

SLICE wants to fill up your curiosity! Accessible to anyone from anywhere at any time, this channel is your weekly dose of short docs about curious facts, discoveries, astounding info, unusual stories, weird, fun and instructive. Be smart, have a slice!

full documentary here...48.13 minutes...went and looked for date and found it...December 1, 2019

In Southern Ethiopia, 11 year-old Wario belongs to the Borana, a semi-nomadic tribe renowned for salt trading in the region. It is time for him to prove himself and his family, that he is a real Borana, and can take on important responsibilities in the community.

He will undergo a 200 km initiatory journey to learn the difficult labor of salt trade. Accompanied by his father, he will face the many dangers of the desert: heat, thirst, fatigue and threats from enemy tribes. Will he make it across the desert to sell his precious white gold?

"Becoming a Man among the Borana"
Direction: Jean Queyrat
Production: ZED & France Télévisions

Not sure what look they are doing best can means..i am not pointing a finger at them...i am pointing out the IMPORTANCE of salt...and what we humans do for it if and when we dont have salt.

fully aware of origin of our word salary came from word salt too.

this video should show us how important salt it..i know you know its importance...others might not...so i posted it here...this is just a short clip to a much larger documentary show..i dont know if or when it will get posted by Slice(name of utube channel).

years ago i told family how much better Himalayan salt tastes.they thought i was crazy till they tried it. then they started getting it themselves. during c-19 the source they bought from went away and they ran out of salt and started worrying...lol...i had to fill salt reserves up and keep them in salt till they could find it again. different salts have different tastes to them. i keep multiple types around.
No, no offense meant. It’s all good, just ignore the word “look.”Super sorry, meant nothing. I know you’re sharing what’s going on in other places. As if to point out what others are having to do.
I found it to be sad yet they are working so hard for what seems like so little return. Please don’t think I was being judgmental of you. I’m thankful for the interesting videos you post.

No, no offense meant. It’s all good, just ignore the word “look.”Super sorry, meant nothing. I know you’re sharing what’s going on in other places. As if to point out what others are having to do.
I found it to be sad yet they are working so hard for what seems like so little return. Please don’t think I was being judgmental of you. I’m thankful for the interesting videos you post.

we are good much of the world is not developed and theres no place to work.no factories etc heck not even electric to run industry. but yet rural economies are in action as we see in video. ...i look at these for a wide range of reasons..i find it interesting..one thing..most of the world just doesnt live like we do in the west society. but yet they have 'jobs' and raise families ...not saying this is not hard..to be honest not sure if i could do this..

sidenote...i seen a place in africa and they served grilled beef in tiny strips and they sold it for a certain price eat all you can and in front of grill they had lines of salt and everyone eating rolled beef in salt and ate.i was shocked at amount of salt eaten.later they said it was one of the only ways locals could get salt into themselves.

So, can you use water softener salt as seasoning without health issues?
The next town over has whole warehouses full for the textile dying industry!

Why can't they just cook crack in the bathtub like the homies in Compton? Ain't gonna buy no friggin' Cadillac pimpwagon with sodium chloride! :oops:

Reactions: Neb
So, can you use water softener salt as seasoning without health issues?
The next town over has whole warehouses full for the textile dying industry!
Interesting! Salt is an acid and most dyes are bases so salt sets the dyes. This is part of the reason swim suits don't fade badly when swimming in the ocean frequently.
I don't use it for seasoning, but have used it in "salting" meat. Have to crush it smaller. It's really just rock salt like for making ice cream.

• Wow
Reactions: Neb
Does anyone have the list of minerals that are in Himalayan salt? I suspect that there is a fare amount of iodine in it along with other good minerals. I like its flavor and it doesn't have an overbearing saltiness to it.

Does anyone have the list of minerals that are in Himalayan salt? I suspect that there is a fare amount of iodine in it along with other good minerals. I like its flavor and it doesn't have an overbearing saltiness to it.

Attachments

• Minerals in Himalayan Pink Salt Spectral Analysis – The Meadow.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back