Question for the horse people

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I already posted this on a horse forum that I am a member of but figured I'd get y'alls opinions as well.
Long story short, my SO of almost 6 years died in a tragic accident a month ago. In talking with his parents it was decided that I would take his horse because they don't think they can give him what he deserves and they believe that SO would have wanted me to have him over anyone else. I'm very happy to be inheriting him and I will love him til the end of his days like my SO did.

Here's the situation, I have my mare Mocha who has not been around other horses for 5+ years. Bandit, SOs gelding, has also not been around other horses for probably closer to 8+ years. Both are comfortable with and have lived with cattle in this time and both are estimated to be about 18-22 years old. Obviously I will keep them separated for a couple of weeks at minimum.

My question is, what is the best way to reintroduce each horse to being around another horse? When integrating a new heifer or steer to Mochas pasture I have always penned them up within the pasture for a few weeks to get them used to the sight and smell of each other prior to turning out together. Would this be best for both horses? I will be bringing him home in a few weeks so I have plenty of time to prepare and area. Thoughts?

I would put them in separate paddocks for a few days, where they can see each other but don't share a common fence. That way you can see if they show interest in each other, ignore each other, or if one starts to react aggressively. Obviously you can't know for sure how they'll act when they first get withing biting/kicking distance, but letting them get used to each other's presence and smell seems like the way to go, to me...

I would put them in separate paddocks for a few days, where they can see each other but don't share a common fence. That way you can see if they show interest in each other, ignore each other, or if one starts to react aggressively. Obviously you can't know for sure how they'll act when they first get withing biting/kicking distance, but letting them get used to each other's presence and smell seems like the way to go, to me...
That's the way to go!!

Latest posts

Back