Questions from a dummy...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
1. What edible/garden crops have the highest protein?
2. What are the best crops all-round for vitamins and minerals?
3. Anyone have actual experience with the above plants (whatever they may be) growing them hydroponically?

1. I think that beans have the highest protein.
2. I believe that the best crops all-round for vitamins and minerals are greens--collards, spinach, kale, cabbage and others.
3. I have grown collards and cabbage, but not hydroponically.

If you were ever really needing food and had a bunch of seeds, radishes are one of the quickest things to grow. Slice them up and saute them in a little oil or butter, and it takes the spiciness out of them. Greens are another thing that growly fairly easily and they prefer cool weather.

I know (being Keto) that spinach is really quite remarkable as it has protein, fat and a lot of vitamins. Another good one, but with more carbs, is spirulina.

1. What edible/garden crops have the highest protein?
2. What are the best crops all-round for vitamins and minerals?
3. Anyone have actual experience with the above plants (whatever they may be) growing them hydroponically?

many plants contain high amounts of protein, including:
  • soy products such as tempeh
  • grains such as quinoa and buckwheat
  • seeds such as hempseeds and chia seeds
  • nuts such as almonds and cashews
  • legumes such as beans, peas, and lentils
  • vegetables such as kale, zucchini, and Portobello mushrooms
  • broccoli- comes up again and again as having many vitamins like K and C. Sweet potatoes deserve an honorable mention.
3. Nope, sorry but I'm sure broccoli would not be hard to grow hydroponically and neither would peas.

• broccoli- comes up again and again as having many vitamins like K and C. Sweet potatoes deserve an honorable mention.
Everything on here looks pretty good, beans, peas, zucchini, mushrooms, quinoa, buckwheat....I think your list could form a "core" to be grown using specific plants for specific purposes. This for protein, that for vitamins, this over here for minerals, etc. Sweet Potatoes are a must have item!! (One of my favorite foods!! Baked, drizzled with butter, ahhhhh!!) Still gotta figure how well they would all do hydroponically, and how much of them to grow at any one time.

Everything on here looks pretty good, beans, peas, zucchini, mushrooms, quinoa, buckwheat....I think your list could form a "core" to be grown using specific plants for specific purposes. This for protein, that for vitamins, this over here for minerals, etc. Sweet Potatoes are a must have item!! (One of my favorite foods!! Baked, drizzled with butter, ahhhhh!!) Still gotta figure how well they would all do hydroponically, and how much of them to grow at any one time.

With sweets I'd stick with soil medium. You can use containers to grow them inside your greenhouse though. Or grow them outside in growing season.

Latest posts

Back