QuickClot - Wound Seal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
so i was shoving some trash down deeper into a big trash bag and cut myself good on something that apparently hated me and had been plottingf reveng or something for a long time. not too bad but bad enough. my neighbor--crazy old polish lady i love like sister that escaped communism , has a ton if amazing stories and keeps warning the commis have taken over america and we are asleep was over at the time and unleashed a barage of polish words towards the garbage bag that scared even me grabed my hand and took over.

i have a good size med kit which she rifled thru and pulled uot some quick clot powder. my hand was bleeding pretty good from the gash and i was applying pressure but still bleeding. one little enbelope of the quick clot powder stopped it Goood.

i was pretty imppressed as ive not used it before. in the past when ive cut myself ive sprinkled some cayenne powder on it. that alwasys stopped the bleeding. stung like a you know whut formaybe 60 sec but then no problem after that. it does work. the sting is no more than 60 sec--yup ive timed it multiple times.

so anyway--it directed my gocus on topping off the med kit.
found out there were a couple products of powder and also now a gel. and gauze pads and bandges t stop bleeding fast. so my friedn helped me order some of each .

my long winded story is basically--do you got some quick clot - wound seal thingys?

might want to get some.
if not--you alwasy got cayenne. just sprinkle a good bit on the cut. pinch with some gauze then grit yer teeth and count to 60.
come to think of it--thats kinda how i got thu childbirth. hmm.

anyway--get some clot powder stuff. could come in handy.

this is what i got

WoundSeal Powder​

Curad Quickstop Flex-Fabric Bandages,​

Rapid-Seal Wound Gel​

I used a whole box of Curad quick stop bandages when I sliced my left pointer finger to the bone. It worked.
Flushed my finger under running water first, elevated and tried to put a bit of pressure on it and line up the skin, then used the curad squares. A few days later I decided to see my doc for some doxycyclene, in case of infection. I had butchered a number of chickens with that knife before cutting my finger. I had amox and azithro at home, and knew that wouldn't do.
The doc thought it looked good, took all the curad stuff off, decided I could do without stitches and just used strips of steri tape. Now I wear a cutting glove on my left hand.

One word of caution on the quick clot powder. That stuff has to be removed from the would before sealing. (This from a military medic, so your mileage may vary). I still have some, but have transitioned to quick clot gauze. Works the same but no need to debride the wound afterward, other than dirt and such.
Both products do their job very well

Monsel's is pretty much Alum and aspirin. It's no longer allowed for human use for some reason but you can still get it at the vet.

You wash the wound and sprinkle it in for a temporary blood stop, it causes clotting and stops blood fast, but must be rinsed out before a more permanent dressing is applied. I've seen Vets use it during an operation, then rinse it out before stitching. it's fine for shallow cuts, however.

This formula omits the alum.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK269598/

We have CVS Blood Stopping Spray on hand.
According to the label it contains “m.doc Active “.
Again, according to the label it can be sprayed directly on the wound and does not need to be removed.

Now I wear a cutting glove on my left hand.
Great idea. When we butcher wild game, I have a pair of cut resistance gloves that I use. I don't have to worry about tissue and blood getting under my nails either. Plus, it helps to keep the fingers a bit warmer since the meat is usually cold while we process it. Since they're fabric, I wash them up and reuse them so no waste there.

One word of caution on the quick clot powder. That stuff has to be removed from the would before sealing. (This from a military medic, so your mileage may vary). I still have some, but have transitioned to quick clot gauze. Works the same but no need to debride the wound afterward, other than dirt and such.
Both products do their job very well
I don't think I have the smaller quick clot gauze in my kit. Thanks for the reminder. I have the israeli bandages and large pads, but I forgot about the QC gauze. I'm pretty sure I have some in my med cabinet, but I think it would be a great thing to have in my car med kit. Even smaller cuts and gashes can become a big problem for anyone on blood thinners, especially if they have other injuries too.

Someone else mentioned in a recent post about bleedclot for dogs. I have some in my dog med kit. I also have the small container of powder on hand when we clip the dogs nails just in case we get a bleeder.

Last edited:
Great idea. When we butcher wild game, I have a pair of cut resistance gloves that I use. I don't have to worry about tissue and blood getting under my nails either. Plus, it helps to keep the fingers a bit warmer since the meat is usually cold while we process it.

I don't think I have the smaller quick clot gauze in my kit. Thanks for the reminder. I have the israeli bandages and large pads, but I forgot about the QC gauze. I'm pretty sure I have some in my med cabinet, but I think it would be a great thing to have in my car med kit. Even smaller cuts and gashes can become a big problem for anyone on blood thinners, especially if they have other injuries too.

Someone else mentioned in a recent post about bleedclot for dogs. I have some in my dog med kit. I also have the small container of powder on hand when we clip the dogs nails just in case we get a bleeder.
I keep some of the gauze in my GHBs.
Good idea about a med kit for the animals. I do not have that, nor had I thought about it

Even smaller cuts and gashes can become a big problem for anyone on blood thinners, especially if they have other injuries too.
I'm one of those people. I take an 81mg baby aspirin every day.
That won't make that much difference, right? Wrong!!!
I had to give up shaving with a blade and go with an electric shaver.
Just a tiny knick would stop bleeding in less than 2 minutes before.:thumbs:
Today, over 15 minutes and it would still be leaking :mad:.
...A small price I'm willing to pay to avoid having a stroke:).

Last edited:
Good idea about a med kit for the animals. I do not have that, nor had I thought about it
And now I have to thank you for your post. It gave me an idea to give a dog med kit to my kid for Christmas. I think this would be a much appreciated gift b/c I doubt it has been considered on his end. Hopefully it'll never be needed.

If memory serves (remember I am old) I think sugar can be used as a blood clotting agent. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Likely, because doctors would immediately appear out of the woodwork screaming that your blood-sugar is too high:LOL:.

I personally would not use those powder clotting agents for wounds on myself if I are not experiencing potential life threatening blood loss. Because - as has already been mentioned - that stuff has to be cleaned out later. Yeah, if you're in danger of dying or disability, by all means, do what you have to do including using a clotting agent. You can usually control severe bleeding from the extremities with direct pressure, elevation, and pressure points. Rarely, a tourniquet may be needed. Large woulds to the torso become more challenging.

I am not up to date on the newest in clotting agents, clotting gauze, etc. The powders used to make a mess of wounds that would then need cleaning later. Based on that I would frown on using them unless they were truly needed. But advances in the newer stuff may have made things better, and later cleanup is not such a big deal.

If anyone has knowledge/experience with the newer stuff, please post your insights here. I have been derelict in not keeping up with clotting agent advancements, and I'm in need of a knowledge update. I'm sure others here might benefit as well.

Bleed Stop. They even make a pet/livestock version.

It does not need to be removed after the fact from the wound.

I need to add that Dr Alton from Doom and Bloom has a DIY clot gauze tutorial on their podcast. It uses kaolin clay and does not need to be cleaned out of the wound later.

I just posted about Alum Root in another thread... It was also used for battle wounds in the civil war. Usually as a powder poured into wounds in the field. Especially in seeping wounds not quiet controlled by a pressure bandage alone. Sometimes crushed root was used. Later it was washed out by the surgeons, it they lived that long. A .58 caliber miniball generally made a mess of things.

Here's a photo of it Alum Root...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/medicine-plant-of-the-day.15853/page-5#post-537254

If memory serves (remember I am old) I think sugar can be used as a blood clotting agent. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
I don't remember that but sugar or honey can be used to disinfect and speed healing for open wounds.

I just posted about Alum Root in another thread... It was also used for battle wounds in the civil war. Usually as a powder poured into wounds in the field. Especially in seeping wounds not quiet controlled by a pressure bandage alone. Sometimes crushed root was used. Later it was washed out by the surgeons, it they lived that long. A .58 caliber miniball generally made a mess of things.

Here's a photo of it Alum Root...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/medicine-plant-of-the-day.15853/page-5#post-537254
I assume you have to grind it To a powder?

I have Quick Clot in my med kits and in some of my BOB's. I also have honey and cayene peper, but I admit I have never had an occassion to use any of them. I did not put any in the dog's BOB, but I will certainly do so now. I always thought whatever worked for us would work for the dog, but in an emergency it would be good to have.

All good info. Good thread, and thanks for sharing.

I went searching for a dog kit for the kid and found one that I think will work nicely for him. I think I might just buy two of them so I have one in the camper too.

I read one of the reviews which was very helpful and reminded me to add something to my own kit, which was a SAM splint. They are super compact and can be cut to fit. The larger ones can even be used as a neck immobilizer. I don't have one of these in my car kit, but that's about to change. I ordered enough for my kit, the dog kit, and the kid's kit. As stated by the reviewer, I'll also add hydrogen peroxide to the dog kit with a syringe to induce vomiting. I've done this before with one of our dogs and it works great! 3cc's of hydrogen peroxide will get the job done. I'll also get the kid a headlamp for his kit. I already have one in mine. I have a muzzle, but not in my dog kit. I need to add it to the kit! A dog (or any animal) in pain will bite even if they are typically a gentle dog.

A good thing to have in your kit is a bottle of distilled water or distilled water with antiseptic mixed in 50/50 such as betadine or even pure witch hazel to irrigate cuts etc. Don't use city water or even well water, both have things you don't want in a cut. a hand sprayer from the $ store fits an alcohol bottle or peroxide bottle perfectly, it even fits some pint and half-pint plastic whiskey bottles to make flat storage bottles to save room.

I went searching for a dog kit for the kid and found one that I think will work nicely for him. I think I might just buy two of them so I have one in the camper too.

I read one of the reviews which was very helpful and reminded me to add something to my own kit, which was a SAM splint. They are super compact and can be cut to fit. The larger ones can even be used as a neck immobilizer. I don't have one of these in my car kit, but that's about to change. I ordered enough for my kit, the dog kit, and the kid's kit. As stated by the reviewer, I'll also add hydrogen peroxide to the dog kit with a syringe to induce vomiting. I've done this before with one of our dogs and it works great! 3cc's of hydrogen peroxide will get the job done. I'll also get the kid a headlamp for his kit. I already have one in mine. I have a muzzle, but not in my dog kit. I need to add it to the kit! A dog (or any animal) in pain will bite even if they are typically a gentle dog.
Where did you find the kit? Or even looking for them?

There's all kinds of them on Amazon. I got the red Rayco International LTD pet first aid kit for $30. I'll likely add a small book (or quick guide) for the kid. I'm still looking for a good one. I'll also add thermal blankets and some hand warmers in addition to the other stuff I mentioned. I think that no matter which kit you get, you'll likely have to add something to it to suit your needs. Although, having a kit (any kit) is better than nothing......especially when you need it.

Latest posts

Back