Quilting class

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made plenty of quilts since this one. I say this has been my learning quilt. It's funny to look at it and see oh here's where I figured this out and there's where I figured that out. I only have maybe half dozen blocks left to do, then the boarder. I like binding so that shouldn't be a big deal. I think it's mostly a mental thing as I'm stitching I see all those mistakes but am cool with that in that I now recognize them as such and don't do that anymore. The other quilt I have going is all hand pieced and pretty tedious. I will also hand quilt it. This is an awful pix of it, but you can see the design. The diamonds are 1" for scale.
View attachment 118389
And here is the Cathedral Window I made (all hand stitched) for on our bed. Can't see in the photo, but there is a bead at each of the intersections where the 4 points meet.
View attachment 118392
Wow! That’s a lot of work! So pretty.

Since we moved into current house all my stuff is in boxes. We have to build my room in basement. Hopefully get hubby going on it soon. It will be too cold to work outside soon. I worked on some hexies this summer while we were waiting to close on house. I can’t wait to get back to sewing.

Since we moved into current house all my stuff is in boxes. We have to build my room in basement. Hopefully get hubby going on it soon. It will be too cold to work outside soon. I worked on some hexies this summer while we were waiting to close on house. I can’t wait to get back to sewing.
Oh tell him to get crackin’. Tis the season 😍

I love piecing the tops but not really a fan of the actual quilting.
I'm with you, but I set goals, like getting a square a day finished. I remember how sore my finger tips get from being poked by the needle. I do use thimbles, but I am not a big fan of using them. I have a leather thimble that I use sometimes.
My mom is the same way. She has a steamer trunk full of quilt tops she made that she told me I have to quilt once she is gone.
I went to a local quilt shop and heard about a woman who loved to make quilt tops as well, but never quilted them. According to what this person said, she has around 150 unfinished quilt tops.

I can't fault her or criticize her because I have had projects that took me decades to finish, but it could be machine quilted by a quilt shop, but of course for a fee.

I have one quilt top that needs to be quilted and I want to have a quilt shop do the quilting. It is just the wrong time of year to have that done because this is the time when people are trying to get quilts finished for Christmas gifts.

I'm with you, but I set goals, like getting a square a day finished. I remember how sore my finger tips get from being poked by the needle. I do use thimbles, but I am not a big fan of using them. I have a leather thimble that I use sometimes.

I went to a local quilt shop and heard about a woman who loved to make quilt tops as well, but never quilted them. According to what this person said, she has around 150 unfinished quilt tops.

I can't fault her or criticize her because I have had projects that took me decades to finish, but it could be machine quilted by a quilt shop, but of course for a fee.

I have one quilt top that needs to be quilted and I want to have a quilt shop do the quilting. It is just the wrong time of year to have that done because this is the time when people are trying to get quilts finished for Christmas gifts.
My thimble wasn’t cheap but I’ve had it for at least 20 years and love it.
IMG_6403.jpeg

It is great looking! I have the old fashioned metal ones. I actually have a few varieties of thimbles, but I still manage to poke myself.
My fingernail gets sore with regular thimbles. I do have a couple as backup/ emergency but seldom use them.

I don't use a thimble. Instead, I use a little leather stick-on patch called a thimble pad. It works great, is not expensive, and I can use it over and over. Only problem is I forget it's there!

View attachment 119135
I just found a pack of these at the thrift shop for $2. 😁

My mom got a Pfaff quilting machine back before the girls were born. I know that will be mine when she goes. I could also do the 'recover' method my mom did when I was a kid. She would make a quilt top then use it to cover an old ripped quilt and tie the top on verses quilting it. I need to do this to one of the quilts she made me as a kid that Roo has been using. It was a recover and fun to see the different quilts under the top she made when I was 10.

Pulled out a block of the month quilt that I never finished. Must have thought it was block of the year 😂. I’m on the 9th block but have a portion of the 10th block done as well. It’s an appliqué quilt so slow going. I got one more flower stitched and the pieces traced for the other two in this block. PS: the lines are friction pen so as soon as I iron it, they will disappear. I love those pens.
72144574499__716F11B0-3153-4A75-B391-580A62BC3834.jpeg

Oh - I don’t have the center in the flower yet. Will do all 3 at the same time.

I don't know the details but thought some of you ladies would like to see the photos.

While I'm here for the bluegrass camp a quilting class is being held in the main dining hall. About 20 students there.

Random pics

View attachment 107374View attachment 107375View attachment 107376View attachment 107377View attachment 107378View attachment 107379
Sometimes there are weekend quilting retreats. I have friends who have gone to them. People take their machines, tools, and materials for their projects. It is a great way to be able to get a quilt top finished, uninterrupted and surrounded by others who are also working on projects. Sometimes meals are served. Sometimes these events are held close to Bed and Breakfast or a special hotel.

That quilt top that you photographed is a Split Rail Fence pattern. Like Log Cabin quilts, the three pieces that make up the smaller blocks can be arranged in different ways to make the larger block.

Latest posts

Back