Quilting for Beginners

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
To someone who doesn't quilt, looking at our finished quilts and the patterns and tools we use must look pretty complicated. The truth is that those of us who have been quilting for decades had to learn these new techniques and supplies just like any newbie. Rotary cutters and cutting mats? Wow! Whoever invented those things is a genius! Strip piecing? I remember the hours it took to carefully trace templates and cut them out of cardboard, trace them onto fabric and then cut each piece separately. I still do use templates and hand piece some of the older patterns that I love but most patterns adapted very well to strip piecing.

I'm going to post a series of patterns and videos to help our newbie friends start turning out fab-you-lous quilts. By starting off with simple techniques, you will gain confidence and skill in a short time. There might be some tips that will help us oldies, too, because we're still learning as the booming quilt industry continues to grow.

The first pattern I'm going to talk about is the simplest one there is - the Rail Fence. All you do with this design is cut strips and sew straight seams. There's no stress as you choose your colors, cut your strips and become familiar with using your sewing machine to stitch them together. When you look at the pattern, notice how the blocks are arranged to create a distinctive rail fence design.

http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RailFenceBlock.html

I looked at over a dozen videos searching for one where you could actually see the cutting and stitching of these blocks. I wanted something basic for you but many of them were produced with a sales pitch for the fabric or tools they were using. I am very grateful for all the free resources these companies give us but I didn't think they were the best for teaching purposes. I finally found one that I liked and posted it for you here. As you look at her design wall, notice how her blocks are arranged and compare that to the design shown in the Quilters Cache pattern.

In the video she gives an excellent tip about stitching those strips together. When you're joining two strips together, you're probably chain sewing so the stitches are all sewn from one direction. When you join the two pairs together reverse them and start sewing from the other end so that your stitches are sewn in the opposite direction. That's because sometimes when you sew a lot of strips together and they're all sewn from the same direction, it can create a rippled effect. I've mainly noticed that happen on thinner fabrics.

If you noticed, the design in the pattern uses three strips in light, medium and dark but the pattern in the video uses four strips of coordinated colors. It's just a personal choice how many you use in your quilt. In this video tutorial, the block is made in red and white but you can make a two rail quilt like this one out of scraps using only darks and lights. The key is to have a lot of contrast so that your design is clear. This video shows some different ways to turn your blocks and create different designs.

I hope this is helpful to someone and makes you want to get started on a quilt of your own! I'll try to add a post every week with more beginner patterns and tips.

You're so welcome, Mo and Weedy! I'm hoping this will be helpful for everybody. There's so much good information available online that we can find almost everything we need. Are there any particular areas that you'd like us to cover? I know exactly what you mean about forgetting what you've learned, Weedy. I tried some knitting years ago - never did get very good at it. A couple off weeks ago I pulled out some yarn and needles and thought I'd give it a try again. It has been so long that I couldn't remember how to cast on!
:knitting:

Thank you Katie!!! I am a self taught quilter so I am still learning also!!! I love all of the new easier methods of cutting and connecting. I didn't know about the fabrics tending to ripple when strip piecing and sewing all the same direction. Thank you!!!! I will be looking forward to your weekly "classes". I have real difficulty getting my pieces all cut the same. I've tried everything and it seems like I cut off more trying to even them up then I get sewed!!! Any videos on that problem???

I have seen some info on the best way to cut your fabric. It has to do with the way you lay your ruler and it's something I've always done. I need to write a sticky note and put it on my cutting mat when I'm going to do a lot of cutting. When you lay your ruler down are you putting the edge next to the line and cutting on the line? That will make it a bit short because you're supposed to put the line under the edge of the ruler so that you're cutting on the other side of the line. I'll see what I can find - hopefully some videos because I think they're the most helpful.

Happy with this one.
IMG_20180228_120637.jpg

But in the same block I have this
IMG_20180228_121213.jpg

The perfectionist in me says rip it out and try again.

The slacker in me says no one will care lol

Me too @Sunshine! Its like when I first start, I want everything to be perfect, but then after weeks on end of sewing, I get to the point of saying just screw it!. Apparently when I thought I was cutting correctly, I was not either cause I would place my line on the exact edge. . . this is probably why my 12 in square never measured 12.5 in before sewing. . .

Sometimes the most basic elements of sewing/quilting are the ones that can cause the biggest headaches down the road. Three things that can cause those headaches are cutting, seam size and squaring your finished blocks. Even 1/8th of an inch - when multiplied by the number of blocks you're making - can throw your quilt size off quite a bit. I've collected some videos and tutorials that deal with those issues.

1. Cutting. It seems like this should be the simplest thing you do but if you make a small mistake, it can cause bigger problems. Don't line your ruler up against the line on the mat and cut right on that line. The ruler should cover that line so that you cut next to it.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/02/making-cut.html

2. Sewing an accurate seam. Here are some videos that will show you how to measure that correct 1/4" seam. In the first one she uses an old basic Singer and shows exactly how to measure a true and scant 1/4" seam from your needle. The second video goes into more detail and tells you the difference between measuring your seam for garment and quilt making. She also shows how your fabric is used up in your seams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iK8j3w3rNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j0wFhr8Jfk

3. Squaring your blocks. Here is a tutorial and several videos that go into detail about how to avoid whittling your block away - a sliver at a time - when you square your block. Most of the videos now will tell you to get a 12 1/2" square ruler but I found one that shows how to use a regular wide ruler.

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/article/how-to-square-a-quilt-block/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1TwwsQqEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqCXOXjybdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3b6tojNqqI

I tried to find videos that had the clearest instructions but we all learn differently and teachers teach differently so sometimes it helps to watch several to really get the picture. I hope these will be helpful.

That's right, Sunshine, cover the line and cut next to it. I've been quilting for over 35 years and this is something that I just found out a few years ago. Most of the time it wasn't much of a problem but patterns that have a lot of seams in them will come up short. You know, the blocks with a lot of little pieces that you Do Not want to re-make. When you clip those points off, it's really your choice how you handle it. If it's a small clip and everything around it looks good, you're probably better off ignoring it. If the point is really blunted and is very visible - think about the quilt's purpose. If it's an every day quilt that will get a lot of hard use and a lot of washing, you might not want to put that extra work into it. If it's a gift for someone or a quilt you want to have for a long, long time - remake the block. If you don't, every time you use that quilt that's where your eye will go. Even if nobody else notices it, you'll lose some of your pride and joy in that quilt. Ask me how I know. :(

Dani, when your block is that far off in size it usually has to do with your seam width, too. Between the cutting and the 1/4" seams, your block can look like Dr. Frankenstein paid a visit! It was a real problem for me when I first started quilting and my blocks never seemed to come out the size they were supposed to. I was self taught and that was before the internet opened up a world of information for us. I almost always use a scant 1/4" seam now and have much better results.

BTW, I should add a disclaimer here. I would never want to pretend to be some kind of expert. I'm self taught and learned most of what I know by doing it the wrong way and then doing it the wrong way again. I know the frustration of putting work into something and having it turn out - not what I wanted. Google and You Tube are my best friends and give us almost any information we need. All you really need is someone to organize the information so that you start slow with baby steps and you'll be running in no time at all. Just don't run with scissors.
:thumbs up:

Thank you for that info! I decided to just remake those pieces. I'm not going to tear them up. I'll just use them elsewhere. Since it's for the swap I want them to look as good as I can get them.

But I'm sure my ladies won't care too much if they aren't perfect. ;) that why I like you all so much.

If your blocks come out slightly different sizes, it will be a pain to get your corners to meet. One possible solution is to cut 1 1/2" or 2" strips and use them to put a frame around each block. Then square each framed block to the desired size. You can use different color frames and set them block to block or make the frames the same color and put a sash between your framed blocks. The size differences are no longer obvious.

I hope the videos and info on cutting, seams and squaring your blocks were helpful. Did anyone try making a rail fence block during the last week? This week we're going to look at another of the most basic patterns that can be used multiple ways and that's the plain little Four Patch block. When you make these, you'll get a lot of practice getting your corners to meet nicely in the center of the block. I love this tutorial because it shows how to put your four patches together and also shows setting them with plain squares to make a quilt top.
https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2014/09/fast-four-patch-quilt-tutorial.html

I also want to give you a headstart on working with triangles. This simple snowball pattern will be the foundation for a lot of quilts.
http://cluckclucksew.com/2009/08/snowball-block.html

I. Love. This. Video. Jenny Doan shows us the neatest, easiest way to make four patches all day long. She's using pre-cut fabrics, 10" layer cakes and 5" charms. I don't buy those but I would pull out the fabrics I wanted to use and cut them into the size squares I wanted to make. Just look what you can do with that plain little four patch and easy snowball pattern! I love this quilt so much that I'm wanting to start one yesterday.

Does anyone have another particular topic they'd like some help with?

You should be proud! I think since we are the maker of the block we tend to see more of our own imperfections than what other people actually see themselves. Don't let it frustrate you and dont be too hard on yourself. . . its supposed to be a relaxing hobby, or so I'm told ;).

Sunshine :) Your blocks look way better than mine usually do!!! I have cataracts that need surgery next year when I become Medicare eligible and so I don't always see imperfections like I should in my sewing. :( Quilting IS supposed to be fun and none of us would mind to get a block with some imperfections - its the friendship and sharing of a happy hobby that we care about!!!! You are an EXCELLENT seamstress!!!!

HST blocks, half square triangles, are probably used in at least 80% of the quilt block patterns. If you're going to quilt, you'll have to learn to live with them because you can't escape from them.

Here are some different ways to make them. The video also shows some of the zillion ways to use them.
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/article/half-square-triangle-formula/

Back