Raised Gardening Beds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the commercially grown crops are hybrid crops. They are more productive so less expensive to market. Seeds are purchased for each new planting because the seeds from hybrid crops will grow mostly the parent crop and not the productive hybrid crops. That is why we use only heirloom crops and collect the seeds for future planting. Once we grow a crop we have an endless supply of seeds that acclimate to the local environment over the years.

We only buy non hybrid seeds but who know if they really are non hybrid?

We do raised beds but we do them the hugelkultur way. It grows anything great.

Red we have one hugelkultur pile. Made it about 4 or 5 yr.s ago. We had to cut down trees for sun in garden GH area. So I dug a hole about 3 ft deep and 12 -14 feet long. Piled logs into it. It has been full of weeds since but needs more dirt. My daughter helped me put dirt around it.
May plant it next summer.

Red we have one hugelkultur pile. Made it about 4 or 5 yr.s ago. We had to cut down trees for sun in garden GH area. So I dug a hole about 3 ft deep and 12 -14 feet long. Piled logs into it. It has been full of weeds since but needs more dirt. My daughter helped me put dirt around it.
May plant it next summer.
That bed should be perfect by now! Look forward to seeing your results!

That bed should be perfect by now! Look forward to seeing your results!

This is before we got it mostly covered , it has more dirt on it now but still needs a few dozens more wheelbarrel's s on it. I'm just too tired to walk across field with pushing one full of dirt.

Most of logs are under the ground. Especially the real big ones. We used all kinds of tree small branches and limbs on top too.
xF0Fi3Q.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to try a different kind of raised bed next year.

I will be making a very narrow raised bed with some 6x6's. I will drop the potato pieces on the ground and cover them up. When the plants break through the surface I will put another layer of 6x6's and dirt on top. When the plants die back I will pull the wood away and then pick the potatos up with my fingers. I do not expect to dig at all.

There is a very prolific type of long-keeping potato that I have heard of: I sent away for a catalog so I can try it.[/QUOTe
What a wonderful idea!

Latest posts

Back