Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the dentist today.
Remembered why I don't go to the dentist. :mad:
For a paltry $5,121 they will fix me right up (that is my part WITH insurance)😳
So canya guess why Joe and Nancy have been wearing falseies for over a decade?:(
I loved the reaction of the girl that brought me into the room:
"So, what brings you in here today?"
My reply: "Old age... Don't ever get old".
And I even cracked up the dentist when she was looking at the bombed-out remains of #31...
I told her: "I think Vladimir Putin visited it."
It took her a second to get that, which made it really funny.:p

Last edited:
Floss daily. Find a gentle dentist. I have had three, all very competent. Sorry, @Supervisor42 I used to hate it also.
My rant? I don’t have any today.
I do better than that, I'm a flossaholic, I floss after every meal. :p
But it means nothing when the timer runs out on your teeth.
The dentist was taken aback when I told her: "This is all my fault; if I had died when I was supposed to, there would be a fine set of teeth sitting in a casket somewhere, but I refused to cooperate".:(

Rant for the day... 24 hours with no power and counting. Not cold, starving or otherwise and did get some outside work done on my day "off" from work.

We had some wind here. Nothing crazy but there's a significant amount of damage. Talk about ill prepared... We have not even begun on going " green" here like they so adamantly want and yet cannot keep the grid functional. What happens when there's an actual serious event. All the businesses in town were closed except one. School was also canceled. Might have to consider running the generator tomorrow to keep the freezers frozen.
Whatever. Guess I'm grateful I can eat and stay warm and I work out of town where there is still power. :confused2:

My friend's ex taught the baby how to open screw-cap bottles because she didn't want to bother to open bottles for him when he's thirsty. This is going to be a problem as he doesn't care if a bottle is empty or full and will dump contents out. He's also likely to get in to something toxic (she hasn't figured out to keep stuff out of reach). She left her spare change lying around and the baby swallowed a penny. He may have to go get it removed if it doesn't pass on its own. My friend is now saying he will let the ex stay until she gives birth & that he will have a paternity test and if its not his she and the new baby are out. But he said that about the first one (that likely is not his). So, it looks like she conned him in to letting her stay.

I haven't rescheduled my dental appointment yet. Landline is still out. Wasn't able to call my sister on the anniversary of our dad's death (yesterday).

I did take my friend to a dental appointment. Previous estimate from another dentist was $10k to pull his teeth and $3k upfront to do it. This dentist said less than $3k for all of the pulling- including his wisdom teeth that are growing in. Supposedly Medicaid will pay for dentures once his teeth are out but will not pay for tooth pulling even though he needs it badly.

So, I just came back from court with my brother and it was a crapshow. He was told that because he was denied an attorney 3 *expletive* years ago when he asked for one that only the judge could give him an attorney & he'd be able to ask for one in court today. They lied. They refused to let him even ask for an attorney (difference is back then he was employed). The old man old man who filed the complaint was subpoenaed and lied his butt off under oath. So my brother represented himself and asked questions. The old man got defensive and continued lying. The cop got nervous and was looking a the defense attorney for guidance and then pulled the "I don't remember" bs. My brother was irritated with the old man for lying so his tone was a little angrier than it should have been. I think that's why the judge believed the old man. Although, he didn't even look at witnesses while they were speaking. He just looked at some papers. I don't think he really fully paid attention. He probably decided the verdict before even hearing my brother's testimony. In the THREE years since the incident (which, btw, statute of limitations is 1 year) they never once let him tell his side until his trial date.

I came the closest I've ever come to pushing an old man down the stairs. Bailiff got a little irritated with me for glaring at the old man as he walked away. I had to fight the urge to run after him and tell him what a miserable piece of excrement liar he is.

They recently started a thing where they put people on probation for misdemeanors. They have to pay $50 each month of probation. So, my brother got 3 months, 15 days jail (suspended), and $690 in court fees, fine, & probation. They wouldn't even let him appeal it.

No wonder they don't allow people to have any sort of recording devices in there. They were disorganized and unprofessional. The public defender is a frail old man who can't remember which case is which and get confused. Nice old man, but all he does is make plea deals.

DA wouldn't even let my brother tell him what happened prior to the trial.

I wish I could find some sort of advocacy group to contact, but I doubt a public defender would be assigned for an appeal.

I'm absolutely furious right now. My brother said in court that the reason he didn't leave was because the old guy pointed a gun at it, pulled the hammer back and said "I'm going to blow your brains out" and that he believed if he let go of the gun to leave the guy would shoot him. Ugh. I really have zero faith in our court system here.

Last edited:
@zannej You may want to contact the Justice project: The Justice Project

My rant for the day...I'm so sick of entitled people. Today a few of us decided to walk across the street to get Qdoba since the unit was fairly quiet and not a lot going on.
We start to walk in the door, and this woman literally breezes right past us as our chivalrous colleague is holding the door open for the females of our group. She states "there are 4 of you, and one of me" -- OK great, we probably would've let you in front of us, but now you've just shown everyone what an entitled JERK you are.
Then, we are ordering food and we notice her literally reaching her arm around the L shaped protective glass separating customers from the food. The employee politely asked her to step back and to not contaminate the food. She started screaming at the employee. At this point we stepped in and told her to knock it off. She continued to whine and complain, asked for the manager several times and then left. 2 minutes later she is calling the store requesting to talk to the manager. The employee just hung up on her (which was absolutely hilarious).
I felt so sorry for these people just trying to do their job. People have just lost their minds, more than usual!

Thank, DrJenner. I'll pass that along to my brother.

Oh, I feel you on the entitled people. Several times I've had people cut in line in front of me or try to cut in line. Most recent was I was at the quickstop to get boudin and some woman who looked a bit older than me walked through the door (which is right next to the checkout counter) and tried to step in front of me. I stepped forward so she had to go behind me. She then tried to go around me. I told her "I'm in line here" and she gave me a sour look. I had to keep moving a bit to stop her from cutting in front because she kept trying to get around. Now, if she'd said she just needed to ask a question or something, I might have let her get ahead, but she had given me such a nasty look and kept trying to slip around me that it put me on edge. The lady behind the counter took my order and I could almost see steam coming from the other woman's head. She muttered something at me under her breath while making a nasty face at me and stormed out. I said to the clerk that the lady was impatient and the clerk said she saw her trying to cut in line & that the lady needed to be patient. I'd been in line for at least 5 minutes before she came in and was at the front of the line. She waited less than 2 minutes.

I agree on feeling sorry for the employees who have to deal with that. I've stepped up and told customers to knock it off before when I saw them abusing employees. I also try to be as polite as possible with employees.

As a mini rant, my friend is acting like he and his ex are back together again. He denies it, but we're pretty sure she's been sleeping in his bed and a lot of her stuff has been unpacked and spread out around the house. Another set of friends are incredibly upset. They hate her and know she's abusive to him. I really hope that if the blood clot clears from his frontal lobe he'll get some sense back and kick her out. Right now it is impairing his judgment though.

At the hospital the other day I accidentally cut in front of several people. They were not in a line they were sitting in chairs. A woman told me they were inline and I apologized and said I didn't know. I thought they were already checked in and just sitting there waiting to be taken back to the ER rooms. The girl checking people in gave my wife and I the ID bands just then so we could go to the ICU. I told them again I was sorry and we left. I still felt bad about it.
I have on multiple occasion pointed out the back of a line to people. I'm usually polite but I can be very rude if the situation calls for it.
I read a story about people in Martha's Vineyard that were waiting in line at a bakery. A guy started offering people $100 to cut in front. A woman told him they all probably had more money than he did so he could just get in line and wait his turn.

Went to the dentist today.
Remembered why I don't go to the dentist. :mad:
For a paltry $5,121 they will fix me right up (that is my part WITH insurance)😳
So canya guess why Joe and Nancy have been wearing falseies for over a decade?:(
I loved the reaction of the girl that brought me into the room:
"So, what brings you in here today?"
My reply: "Old age... Don't ever get old".
And I even cracked up the dentist when she was looking at the bombed-out remains of #31...
I told her: "I think Vladimir Putin visited it."
It took her a second to get that, which made it really funny.:p
How long had it been since your previous visit to the dentist?

Thank, DrJenner. I'll pass that along to my brother.

Oh, I feel you on the entitled people. Several times I've had people cut in line in front of me or try to cut in line. Most recent was I was at the quickstop to get boudin and some woman who looked a bit older than me walked through the door (which is right next to the checkout counter) and tried to step in front of me. I stepped forward so she had to go behind me. She then tried to go around me. I told her "I'm in line here" and she gave me a sour look. I had to keep moving a bit to stop her from cutting in front because she kept trying to get around. Now, if she'd said she just needed to ask a question or something, I might have let her get ahead, but she had given me such a nasty look and kept trying to slip around me that it put me on edge. The lady behind the counter took my order and I could almost see steam coming from the other woman's head. She muttered something at me under her breath while making a nasty face at me and stormed out. I said to the clerk that the lady was impatient and the clerk said she saw her trying to cut in line & that the lady needed to be patient. I'd been in line for at least 5 minutes before she came in and was at the front of the line. She waited less than 2 minutes.
I once had a woman ask me at the Museum of Nature and Science if she could cut in front of me because they were late. I let her. Then she gets to the counter and instead of taking care of business, dillies and dallies around, asking all kinds of questions that she could ask elsewhere. I have learned that often, when I let someone in front of me, they don't show any respect about getting there. Someone wants to cut in front of me while driving often slows way down, not really in a hurry. Some days I am not as willing as I am others.

How long had it been since your previous visit to the dentist?
1 year. The estimate then was over $8K. :oops:
Needless to say, I didn't bite (pun).

My wife went to a dentist. He told her she needed two crowns with root canals. The cost would be $6000, if I remember correctly.
She declined. A year later she went to a different dentist and he told her all she needed was a cleaning.
I think the first guy must have just bought a new car or something.

Alabama has 4+ species of red wasps. Nasty, disagreeable and aggressive, they will attack in mass… And they hurt! As a kid we robbed red wasp nests for their larva, make great fish bait. So I have a lot of experience with the little nasties!

Last night I was reintroduced in a most unpleasant manner. In early spring and late fall there are always a few in my house. A few survive winter in my ceiling. In early spring they start flying around and I kill a few.

I got in bed early last night and laid back on a red wasp. It was in my bed!!! It stung my backbone! Dead center of my back. At first I thought a screw driver or some tool had fallen out of my pants or something. But the sharp pain continued to increase as the 1/10th of seconds ticked by. It was like a hot spike was being driven into my spine.

I hate red wasps!!!

Here are two that call my state home, paper wasps… the smaller one with the black body is particularly nasty. They kill 100's of caterpillars to feed their young so do serve a purpose.

Al red wasps.jpg
as red wasp.jpg

Last edited:
Alabama has 4+ species of red wasps. Nasty, disagreeable and aggressive, they will attack in mass… And they hurt! As a kid we robbed red wasp nests for their larva, make great fish bait. So I have a lot of experience with the little nasties!

Last night I was reintroduced in a most unpleasant manner. In early spring and late fall there always a few in my house. A few manage to survive winter in my ceiling. In early spring they start flying around and I kill a few.

I got in bed early last night and laid back on a red wasp. It was in my bed!!! It stung my backbone! Dead center of my back. At first I thought a screw driver or some tool had fallen out of my pants or something. But the sharp pain continued to increase as the 1/10th of seconds ticked by. It was like a hot spike was being driven into my spine.

I hate red wasps!!!

Here are two that call my state home, paper wasps… the smaller one with the black body is particularly nasty.

View attachment 83819View attachment 83820
I have a hatred for paper wasps which we have here in large numbers. Can’t imagine having two species of 👿. Hope you’re ok.

It's been a few years since I've been stung, mostly made me mad! Kept me up for another hour. I couldn't put plantain on it because it was in the middle of my back! I couldn't reach the spot.

Again, red wasp larva make fantastic bait for blue gills and bream so I always robbed a nest or two before we went fishing. It's almost an art form... If I'm aware of a nest I can destroy it without being stung, not a problem.

It's the one I'm not aware of that usually result in stings. Or the one in my bed!

It's been a few years since I've been stung, mostly made me mad! Kept me up for another hour. I couldn't put plantain on it because it was in the middle of my back! I couldn't reach the spot.

Again, red wasp larva make fantastic bait for blue gills and bream so I always robbed a nest or two before we went fishing. It's almost an art form... If I'm aware of a nest I can destroy it without being stung, not a problem.

It's the one I'm not aware of that usually result in stings. Or the one in my bed!
We have those here too.
It's even worse because we have almost no freezing weather each year.
I keep a can of WD-40 at the ready on the table on the back patio. Got pretty good at shooting them down on the wing :thumbs:.
The long red straw is your full-choke barrel.
The MIL freaks whenever she sees one and calls me out.
If it flys, it dies!:waiting: I have shot down 10 in one day before.
I check the ceiling out there every week too, they can build fast!:oops:
Don't let them multiply.

Last edited:
A couple times while watching the show “Swamp Men” I’ve seen them get into red wasp nests. Made my skin crawl, that’s the worst, when you're in a boat. It’s happened to me a few times, be fishing the swamp and bump a nest on a low hanging tree limb.

Then there are 2 questions, how many times was I stung and how much fishing gear did I lose when I dove in the water? Then I was left with the riddle “How do I get my boat back?” Better hope you can hold your breath for a while. Sometimes the only way is to swim under the boat and push it back away from the wasps.

Once I did get my boat back using a rod n reel and a treble hook. It was in my hand when I dove in the water… just snag the boat and reel it in.

Last edited:
We have those here too.
It's even worse because we have almost no freezing weather each year.
I keep a can of WD-40 at the ready on the table on the back patio. Got pretty good at shooting them down on the wing :thumbs:.
The long red straw is your full-choke barrel.
The MIL freaks whenever she sees one and calls me out.
If it flys, it dies!:waiting: I have shot down 10 in one day before.
I check the ceiling out there every week too, they can build fast!:oops:
Don't let them multiply.
And everything around is well lubed 🤣

That's what the cigarette lighter is for! a mini flame thrower! Wasps can't fly with crispy wings. In the house hair spray burns well, outside I go for wd-40, carb cleaner etc.
Mom had a hard and fast rule, no flamethrowers in the house :D

How many sons did she have? I don't know about any of you men in this group, but my brothers destroyed so much stuff growing up.
4 boys and a girl, I know the oldest is a troublemaker :D:devil:

And everything around is well lubed 🤣
Actually no.
Since it is WD-40, it evaporates without a trace pretty quick and is safe to use around almost everything.:)
.....except wasps, it is lethal to them.:eek:
(and flamethrowers:rolleyes:).

I have had a few paper wasp nests around my house. I have WD-40 that I will have to try on the wasps.
It doesn't kill them instantly like wasp-spray, some will try to fly off... but they don't get far!
I followed some, and they do not survive.
Edit: ZERO nests are allowed around here.:waiting:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back