Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, the little bulldozer playground thing is awesome!

My shoulder is still aching. My friend tried to pay his taxes last month (when they were due) and was told they changed systems and he was not allowed to pay until he got the paperwork. He didn't get the paperwork until today. He was told he had to go to another town instead of local City Hall to pay it. So he went down there and they were charging him late fees AND claiming he didn't pay last year's taxes (which I know he did because I was with him). Instead of being $55, they want $385-- and the are basing the taxes as if the lot was much larger than it is. The church next door is encroaching 10' on to his property and a local judge stole the back half of his property and is using it as rental property but not paying my friend anything for it. I told him to find the photo he took of the receipt when he paid his taxes (this isn't the first time he paid & they claimed he hadn't so he takes pictures). He doesn't know where the receipt went-- his ex probably threw it out. I told him to talk to the tax assessor and explain that he doesn't have the full property anymore as large chunks of it have been usurped AND he did pay his taxes for last year.

I had to venture into town today as daughter hasn't done her test yet someone has to be in the car with her. I masked up- partly in case I sneezed everywhere and partly because I look awful and went to Lidls. I needed the basics- milk and bread, yoghurts, fruit and veg. I also planned on replacing a few things I used recently such as passata, and tinned soup.

I'm in absolute shock that my - let's call it a half shop- cost the same as my full shop did three years ago, for 6 adults. Just over €120.
Having unpacked and assessed everything, I can tell you I spent €11 of that on three things not on my list. A set of decent lunch boxes for the lads as they are going back to work and I've used all my containers for the freezer. (One of which one son has had since he was in high school seven years ago) and because they were on sale, two tubs of lactose-free ice cream for the eldest. They were half-price and will do her for months. So been deducting them, food was over 100.
Everything else was a necessity.
I didn't buy bread for the week, and only enough milk until Tuesday. One pack of mince, on special and a medium chicken for curry and sandwiches, so no stuff for family dinners. I did get fruit and veg for the week. I got no pet food, no toiletries, no cleaning stuff. Nothing for the freezer. No biscuits or junk, just a 12 pack of chips for 2.25. Ony one small block of cheese and small pack of ham- nothing else for lunches. The more I look the more I only see what I did not buy, because I have it already.
I'm not whinging for myself. I can make things go a long way and already have a good stash. I just truly do not know how people are meant to manage, especially those living in more expensive areas than we are.

I hear you, Magpie, but you should whinge for yourself. There will come a time when we can't afford anything, either. It used to be $200 to fill a cart at Aldi with a little bit of everything. Now it's $300. I just laugh at the 7% number used by our govt as an inflation number for food. They must be smoking crack.

I have something to say about dogs getting out and running around. Our livestock dogs sometimes get out. They dig under the fence, or the electric is off because a tree fell on it or something and they get over. Sometimes one of us leaves a gate open by accident. It happens. So please don't shoot any dogs unless they are a real threat to you or your livestock or pets! Just wanted to say that. Our dogs have never hurt a person , obviously don't hurt the livestock. They will however eat a cat, and bite a dog that attacks them. One of our neighbor's dogs came running up to one of ours while I was taking her for a walk ( she likes to get out sometimes) and attacked her and she bit him. This little sausage dog. Not her fault, she was just defending
Neighbor saw it and she agreed with me on that

Just wanted to say that

and just as I am typing this....here is one of ours in the house....husband just brought her in, she came up the road. We have NO idea how she got out

One of the local farmers shot and killed 2 dogs.
It turned out one of the dogs was the local police departments K9.
The K9 officer had gone on vacation and he left the dog with a friend. The dogs got out and that was that.
On the other side of the problem. A neighbor let his dogs get out and they killed 11 of another neighbors goats, 4 more died the next day.
The goat owner killed both dogs but the damage was done.
It was a devastation loss for the farmer.
Around here if your dogs get out and are on someone else property you legally allowed to kill them.
The fine for loose dogs is $250.

We have a Great Pyrenees rescue dog. We have had her for a year and she just decided to start leaving the yard. It's not ok but she is super gentle. However our Rottie is an idiot and would chase a cow or something. So we need to put a stop to it before the Rottie learns her trick. I think I am on my final attempt to keep the rescue dog in. I have 2 hotwires low on the barbed wire. She just walks through. I don't know if it because her fur is thick or why she doesn't get zapped. The fence tester says it is hot. I am going to add one more hot wire.

This is in regards to the fine Buffalo Bills football player, who had a sudden heart attack on the field...

(copied from a friend)

Sunday, a young man from Pittsburgh was being paid to entertain as a professional athlete. Sadly that young man was severely injured, he almost died however his life was saved. His contract is $4 million for 4 years. It was a scary incident that could have had a much sadder outcome and I am glad he will survive. Since he is a athletic entertainer his name is all over the media and almost everyone is talking about him, about how lucky he is. He went to work and carrying the weight of football pads and the pressure of putting on a good performance for the fans and his team. The media is making this the top of the hour story. The young brave entertainer that survived a brush with death in a freak accident while he was making millions performing. Social media and news media is bragging how a Go Fund Me for the entertainers charity has raised more than $4.7 million in his name by people donating.
Two other men went to work yesterday also from Pittsburgh just like the entertainer. These two men made a lot less money, had a lot more pressure, and carried the weight of promises to their family and an oath to their community. Instead of pads and a helmet they wore a badge and a vest. The badge they wear reads POLICE OFFICER and it may be small but it carries the weight of knowing they promised their families they will return home, they weight of an oath to serve and protect a community by being the only thing that stood between the innocent and evil. On a scale the football pads weigh more than a badge of a few ounces. But in the heart, that badge weighs a thousand times more than those pads. One of those men lies in a hospital recovering from a gunshot wound. His family, friends, a community, and the Blue Line by his side. The other man paid the supreme sacrifice, No Greater Love One Has Than This, to Lay Down One’s Life for One’s Friends. Today that officer's family, friends, community, and Blue Line prepares to say goodbye. These two men, Brackenridge Police Chief Justin McIntire and Tarentum Officer Jordan Schrecengost are the second story in the news and talked about less on social media.
While the entertainers Go Fund Me charity is now at $4.7 million and dozens of sports and screen entertainers reach out to support the entertainer and his charity. The family of murdered Brackenridge Police Chief Justin McIntire will say their goodbyes and have to face a future without him. Tarentum Officer Jordan Schrecengost will face a long road to recovery and a lifetime of physical and mental scars. I am sure there will be community support for both of these brave men but do you think it will amount to the tune of $4.7 million? Neither do I. It sickens me these men are second to an athlete. The media needs to get right who the true heroes are.
Again I am glad the entertainer will be ok but I stand with the Blue Line. My heart and prayers go to the families and LEO family of Brackenridge Police Chief Justin McIntire and Tarentum Officer Jordan Schrecengost, the true heroes.
*Originally posted by a True & Honest American*

We had near 50 guinea fowl I raised from chicks. Thanks to the neighbor dog, we have five left. That dog would come on our property and hunt them down, leave the bodies dead right there. I caught her four times and chained her up. I had to get into a yelling match with the lady and bring over a dog chain, put it around their front yard tree, and hook their dog to it. I know it's instinct for the dog, and I was not going to shoot it, I was going to bring it into the bigger town and take it to the shelter. Of course, she offered to pay us for the birds, but I knew that they couldn't afford it. She brought me tomatoes a few weeks ago from the truckstop she works at.

Sometimes I want to throttle Roo. Like today. I noticed the meat freezer is leaking so I go for the key to unlock it and find out if the seal is bad and the key is missing and the door isn't even closed. My entire meat freezer is thawed and warm.

One big stinky meaty mess!

It seems when Roo went into the freezer to get some rabbit meat the other day she didn't even close the door or lock it so it just thawed itself.

I found the key on the floor in a puddle of chicken juice. I have a hook the key clips to to prevent it getting lost but K and I have noticed it is not being put back...!

So now I have no meat and a gooey freezer that needs to be cleaned and bleached.

K told Roo on the phone SHE was the one who had to empty the freezer out since she left it open.

Would I be the asshat if I used her bank account to refill the freezer? I am the one who has been putting the money in the account no one else has added to it.

Loss through carelessness should be used as a lesson, a teachable moment, and I've always understood that a hit to the pocketbook (or bank account) is a darned good teacher, lol. Sorry to hear about that senseless loss, last thing y'all need in these fraudulent times, aye? 😒

I have something to say about dogs getting out and running around. Our livestock dogs sometimes get out. They dig under the fence, or the electric is off because a tree fell on it or something and they get over. Sometimes one of us leaves a gate open by accident. It happens. So please don't shoot any dogs unless they are a real threat to you or your livestock or pets! Just wanted to say that. Our dogs have never hurt a person , obviously don't hurt the livestock. They will however eat a cat, and bite a dog that attacks them. One of our neighbor's dogs came running up to one of ours while I was taking her for a walk ( she likes to get out sometimes) and attacked her and she bit him. This little sausage dog. Not her fault, she was just defending
Neighbor saw it and she agreed with me on that

Just wanted to say that

and just as I am typing this....here is one of ours in the house....husband just brought her in, she came up the road. We have NO idea how she got out
The REPEAT OFFENDERS that are OUT, not "got out" are the ones who.........😉!

Loss through carelessness should be used as a lesson, a teachable moment, and I've always understood that a hit to the pocketbook (or bank account) is a darned good teacher, lol. Sorry to hear about that senseless loss, last thing y'all need in these fraudulent times, aye? 😒

This type of behavior is a constant with Roo. The towel bar in her bathroom was broken within a month of us moving in because she thought it would be fun to hang off it like a monkey. I bought a replacement BUT have not installed it. I will the last day we are here for fear she breaks the new one.

She slammed her bedroom door open and punched a hole in the wall with the knob within a year. I fixed it and put a protector on the wall.

She used a screw driver to break the outlet plate in her room just for shits and giggles.

She takes the knobs off her dresser just because.

She throws her empty hangers on the floor then steps on them breaking them. She has to buy new ones every few months. I have spent up to a hundred bucks in one year to replace hangers that she has broken. Now I make her do chores to earn the money and take her to the store to buy them in person.

She is only 11.

I would have been beaten within an inch of my life if I did any of this...

This type of behavior is a constant with Roo. The towel bar in her bathroom was broken within a month of us moving in because she thought it would be fun to hang off it like a monkey. I bought a replacement BUT have not installed it. I will the last day we are here for fear she breaks the new one.

She slammed her bedroom door open and punched a hole in the wall with the knob within a year. I fixed it and put a protector on the wall.

She used a screw driver to break the outlet plate in her room just for shits and giggles.

She takes the knobs off her dresser just because.

She throws her empty hangers on the floor then steps on them breaking them. She has to buy new ones every few months. I have spent up to a hundred bucks in one year to replace hangers that she has broken. Now I make her do chores to earn the money and take her to the store to buy them in person.

She is only 11.

I would have been beaten within an inch of my life if I did any of this...
"Back in the day", mom could beat the crap out of you AND you knew it!! Times have changed!!

"Back in the day", mom could beat the crap out of you AND you knew it!! Times have changed!!

Trust me! I have tanned her hide a few times. I even have a paddle made of maple.

She has already had CPS called on me twice for 'beating' her back when she was in the public school. I have made it clear that if she really thinks she is a fairy princess who needs saving then she better get the f*** out of my house now because when she turns 18 I am kicking her arse out as a birthday present.

I have a running tally going of all the crap she has destroyed. I intend to present her with a bill on her 18th birthday. The law says I have the give her food, clothes and an education. There is nothing that says I have to pay for her jackass behavior because the CPS jerks tell her she should be spoiled rotten. She knows this is coming too.

Don't think I don't love her. I do with all my heart. If she wants to act like an ass I will treat her the way an ass is treated.

Trust me! I have tanned her hide a few times. I even have a paddle made of maple.

She has already had CPS called on me twice for 'beating' her back when she was in the public school. I have made it clear that if she really thinks she is a fairy princess who needs saving then she better get the f*** out of my house now because when she turns 18 I am kicking her arse out as a birthday present.

I have a running tally going of all the crap she has destroyed. I intend to present her with a bill on her 18th birthday. The law says I have the give her food, clothes and an education. There is nothing that says I have to pay for her jackass behavior because the CPS jerks tell her she should be spoiled rotten. She knows this is coming too.

Don't think I don't love her. I do with all my heart. If she wants to act like an ass I will treat her the way an ass is treated.
You didn't raise her this way!! It's like WHERE does this behavior come from?? It's easy to understand with Amish Heart's grand kids, but I hate this for you!!♥️♥️♥️ And she is SO young!! I'm truly sorry Grimm!!

You didn't raise her this way!! It's like WHERE does this behavior come from?? It's easy to understand with Amish Heart's grand kids, but I hate this for you!!♥️♥️♥️ And she is SO young!! I'm truly sorry Grimm!!
I hate the situation for Amish too, sounded wrong how I phrased what I said. 😉

Nah, I understood you, Pearl. We had no hand in their upbringing their first ten years. They were raised in a heroin house and in many foster homes before they came to live with us. And I looked in their bedrooms today and the vision of a crackhouse came to mind. Disgusting what they do.

Roo is on the spectrum but I think she sees it as an excuse to be like this.

I strongly think my parents are a big part of the problem. They spoil the hell out of the girls at every turn. They undermined my authority in front of the girls as their parent when ever they don't agree with me or K.

Christmas this year my dad says they are buying Roo a microscope. No asking me if it is okay just we are doing it so if you want to pick the model then let us know. I am fine with that because I was already planning to buy one for our homeschool.

Christmas morning comes and no sooner was it opened my dad and Roo are ripping through the packaging to try it out. No assessment to make sure everything is there and in working order. No reading the directions and manual. Nothing. Low and behold there are parts missing from the box and Roo is picking it up by the optics! No books were bought to go with it on care or use. That is my dad's normal m.o. Books for days so there is no user error for lack of information.

My dad is a former math and science teacher. He would have never done this with me as a child. I would have been forced to prove I read and understood the manual and instructions before I could ever touch it. I would have had to read a dozen books before I could look at it cross eyed. If I had picked it up by the optics my ass would have hurt for a week from the beating.

Now since the microscope was returned because of the missing parts they want me to sell the telescope they bought our family last year for Christmas to replace the microscope with a better model.

FYI Roo doesn't even care the microscope was returned. She just enjoyed her grandpa treating her mommy as a child.

Maybe the bill should be in the form of a small claims case filed on her 18th...

Spoiled rotten brat.

I think ALL of this bad behavior stems from leftist academic institutions and the constant bombardment of children by the Propaganda Arm of dirty globalist swine. Once they took corporal punishment out of public schools, EVERYTHING went downhill, yeah? "Spare the rod and spoil the child..." 😒

I think ALL of this bad behavior stems from leftist academic institutions and the constant bombardment of children by the Propaganda Arm of dirty globalist swine. Once they took corporal punishment out of public schools, EVERYTHING went downhill, yeah? "Spare the rod and spoil the child..." 😒

She hasn't been in public school in 4 years. She only went for 2 years.

We've never killed any dogs that got into our yard-- even if they killed our pets or livestock. Always tried to find the owners and called the local pound if we couldn't find owners. The old vet back in the 80s would sometimes hold on to the dogs for us and call the pound. That was back when the pound would actually pick up dogs. I do agree there is a difference when someone tries to contain their dogs and they sometimes get out vs people just letting them run free. I have a hard time containing mine when they go outside because of the fence being torn up by the hurricane and the front gate being knocked down. Still can't find anyone to fix it. I really need to soon because my cows go out-- but we aren't near any main streets. I've had complaints of them busting up illegal deer feeders in the woods (where it is actually illegal to hunt bc its a wildlife reservation).

Has Roo been to see a therapist? She might need some behavior management. This destructive streak is not good. I'm not sure if a lawsuit would actually work since she was in your care when she damaged things. Depending on state laws, you might be held responsible for her actions as a child. But she absolutely needs to learn to be less destructive and more responsible. I hope it is a temporary phase.

Obvious statement: It's not unusual for grandparents to be strict with their own kids but spoil their grandkids. My grandfather was like that- much stricter with my mom and aunts but very sweet to us. Didn't lavish us with gifts or anything but would sing to us and tell us jokes all the time and let us play. Grandma didn't get the memo though. She suffered from migraines and didn't tolerate any noise. She would get mad about us laughing when playing. She would also not want to let us climb trees and do stuff our parents allowed us to do. I remember thinking she was mean when I was growing up. She mellowed slightly when we got older.

Don't know if it was something I ate or what but I've been nauseous for hours and having stomach issues. I hope I'm not coming down with something.

On the upside, I reminded my friend that he took a photo of the receipt when he paid his property taxes AND he also made an audio recording of them confirming he paid the taxes and that he requested letters be sent to his address and not his late stepfather's address. He's now being told "not to worry" about the property tax issues and that he won't have to pay $385 or so for what should be $55. I'm going to encourage him to followup just in case they try to screw him again.

Hey Grimm and Amish Heart these kids can certainly be a challenge!!!!! Pearl and wingnut, thanks for your advice and input.
We have been raising a kiddo that we rescued when he was 8 years old. I do not regret all the time and money we spent getting him and his brothers safe but let's just say life is not fair all the time.
He is now 18 and we have relegated him to a old motorhome in the backyard. I am paying for a porta potty and he has to ask permission to come in or to use the shower.
I bought a double handful of padlocks keyed alike and put a lock on the sheds and toolbox so fewer things get stolen.
I tend to buy clothes and shoes at yard sales and thrift stores and my wife likes to buy him new stuff. It doesn't seem to matter to him when I find dirty clothes stuffed in corners or being walked on in the bathroom. He also just stuffs dirty dishes out of the way or leaves them till they mold in his bedroom......When I do dishes and their aren't any forks or bowls left i just go around and gather up his dirty dishes and start soaking them so they will eventually come clean. (now it's paper plates and plastic silverware for him).
Early on I told him I would supply a car for him if he paid the insurance. After abusing two cars, killing one by running it out of antifreeze and off roading then losing the chipped keys for the next one I just parked it after fixing it and told him he had to show me a pay check or copy and he could drive again.......Now he has been lying about working so i cancelled the insurance (I had been paying) and the car sits and he still lies about working or at least about where the money is going.
My wife and I have both worked in mental health and i have worked as maintenance in a big box store, good training for putting up with antisocial, sociopathic behavior. People lie and do it for reasons that once made sense to them......but once ingrained they will continue.......People destroy things just to destroy or deface them......I have cleaned public bathrooms after a busy christmas shopping day, wow.
So anyway try to minimize damage to yourself both mental and physical and go with the stainless steel toilet and sink like in jail for the destructive unappreciative kids. Natural consequences are a great way to enforce lessons or rules. Just remember they will cause everyone including themselves pain and anguish as long as others feel more pain they win.

Don't expect them to have your values and don't give them any money, if other family or people criticize your child rearing just offer to give them permanent legal guardianship.

We had near 50 guinea fowl I raised from chicks. Thanks to the neighbor dog, we have five left. That dog would come on our property and hunt them down, leave the bodies dead right there. I caught her four times and chained her up. I had to get into a yelling match with the lady and bring over a dog chain, put it around their front yard tree, and hook their dog to it. I know it's instinct for the dog, and I was not going to shoot it, I was going to bring it into the bigger town and take it to the shelter. Of course, she offered to pay us for the birds, but I knew that they couldn't afford it. She brought me tomatoes a few weeks ago from the truckstop she works at.
Now that dog I would have shot.....
If it is a repeat offender and you know it, and it has killed your animals , you have every right to shoot it.
We had a neighbors dog go after our sheep (before we got our dogs) , thankfully only bit a few but didn't kill them ( it was a relatively smaller dog, not huge) . We didn't know who's dog it was at the time, but found out later, after the other neighbor told us who's dog it was and that it was shot by the owner himself because it went after their own sheep and killed some lambs.
Some dogs are just no good around farms.

Believe me, I thought about it. Her name is Pepper. She is a Welsh Corgi mix. If you saw her at any other time (when she wasn't killing fowl), she would run up, little nub of a tail wagging, and throw herself on her back for you to give belly rubs. That dog is not a farm dog, but would be a good indoor/outdoor fenced in city dog.

I don't know if I should post this, but I will in case it might help. Ok, so our son was JUST like that. AND he was NOT spoiled, and he was in a private Christian school at that time. He was careless, hyper, didn't behave, it was so bad that we were actually thinking about sending him to some military type boarding school. He constantly got in trouble at school also, like tipping over his chair because he just couldn't sit still and behave. We tried lots of exercise but that only helped temporary. He was actually kicked out of the private school and we had to put him in public school which was no improvement. I got called to see the principle after 3 days.... So I took him to my psychiatrist ( I had one for my anxiety issues ) and he was diagnosed with ADHD. He scored 100% on the test....

Put on medication ( vivance) and he improved 100%. He stopped taking the medication after he graduated from highschool and is now a Senior in civil engineering at a good university , plus helps a lot around here. He still is a little scatterbrained occasionally ( like left the ice cream out the other day) but so far as an adult the only thing he did wrong was get that speeding ticket ( after 10 years of driving ticket free)

I know most people are totally against ADHD medication and think it's all in their heads but in his case it wasn't . It's like people at the church we used to go to telling me to pray harder and confess more sins to get rid of my anxiety...it doesn't work. Sometimes you need medical help to fix mental problems .

On our wandering Great Pyrenees I think I have a solution. My wife has been wanting to expand the garden, so we were looking at using more field fence. After some discussion we can deny the dogs entry to a really large garden, chicken orchard area and keep the dogs in our yard. I think we already have everything on hand. So that is my day today.

Them: Our garage door doesn't work. Can you take a look at it?

Me: Sure. What doesn't it do?

Them: Door doesn't go up.

Me: I push the button on the overhead garage door opener and the door opens.

Them: It's not that, the two remotes don't work.

Me: Have you tried changing the batteries in the remotes?

Them: Yes we just changed the batteries.

Me: Did the remotes work BEFORE you changed the batteries?

Them: Yes.

Me: Possibly the batteries were installed incorrectly...

Them: No the batteries are installed correctly.

Me: I take the back off of one of the remotes to confirm batty was installed correctly, it was. Are you sure the new batteries are good?

Them: We took them out of the package.

Me: How long ago did you buy the batteries.

Them: I get a blank look.

Me: Why did you change the batteries?

Them: Because the remotes weren't working.

Me: I pass on the opportunity to point out the said they were working before and now they say they weren't. I take the back off the second remote. There is no battery inside. I take the battery out of the first remote and install it in the second remote. Press the remote #2 and the garage door opens. I tell them remote #1 is toast.

Moral of the story. 95% of what the customer tells you is wrong.

Believe me, I thought about it. Her name is Pepper. She is a Welsh Corgi mix. If you saw her at any other time (when she wasn't killing fowl), she would run up, little nub of a tail wagging, and throw herself on her back for you to give belly rubs. That dog is not a farm dog, but would be a good indoor/outdoor fenced in city dog.
Very odd since corgis are a working breed. She must be a mix. Even our corgi mixes are better farm dogs.

Latest posts

Back