Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It likely got compromised days or weeks before going rogue.
The good news is, the online clothing merchant has the ship-to name and address of the perp where the stuff was going to go.
They can be cuffed the day the stuff comes in if it got shipped unless they are in a "crime sanctuary" city.

Possibly. Its been close to 6 weeks since I've been anywhere to use the card. I think the last time was when I hit the ATM to buy hay.

Possibly. Its been close to 6 weeks since I've been anywhere to use the card. I think the last time was when I hit the ATM to buy hay.
Just make sure the notice from the bank is legit and not like the 'unauthorized Amazon iPhone purchase' scam.

Last edited:
I believe everyone's information has been compromised. If the information has not been used it's just because they haven't gotten to you yet.
My card was used to buy stuff at McDonald's and Target in NY.
The bank said they would investigate. I spoke with the police and he said nothing would ever be done because it was a low priority and basically not worth their time. Same as when someone broke into my truck. The police wouldn't even take a report and I knew who broke in.

I believe everyone's information has been compromised. If the information has not been used it's just because they haven't gotten to you yet.
My card was used to buy stuff at McDonald's and Target in NY.
The bank said they would investigate. I spoke with the police and he said nothing would ever be done because it was a low priority and basically not worth their time. Same as when someone broke into my truck. The police wouldn't even take a report and I knew who broke in.
I'm curious about you knowing who broke into your truck? How did you know? Was something taken?

In my area, Russian mafia runs many things and if our cards get the information stolen, it is usually them involved. They have several odd ball gas stations, with old equipment, where they keep the price of gas just a penny or two under the lowest price in the area. Use your card at their stations, and you will have someone using a clone of your card in a matter of time. It has happened to me. I used to buy gas at a station with old pumps, because it was close to where I lived, and a place I drove by on my way to work. Russian mafia also run garbage removal companies in some cities.

Just make sure the notice from the bank is legit and not like the 'unauthorized Amazon iPhone purchase' scam.

I got a text, email and automated call from them. I called the number I already had from my bank and the charges are showing as pending on my acct.

We have two pumps in town that you can sign up with the company in the bigger town and get a card to use, with a pin number. They have one diesel pump and one unleaded pump. Just two pumps in the middle of nowhere. You get a bill in the mail each month. Can't use a credit card or anything else.

I don't normally need to rant n rave too much. Had to get new brakes recently. A good friend referred me to "his" mechanic. I got the brakes replaced and as I drove away thought things seemed a little loud. Using the brakes, I didn't like the sound or feel. Was busy and kept neglecting to take the car back. Finally did, mind you it's been more than 10 days. He replaced the brakes "under warranty" but said I really needed rear brakes. FINE.
Got it back, seemed better. But let's look at the dashboard to check the temperature, something I always do. Setting on a very low temp, like 20 degrees lower than what it actually was outside...turned around went back. Goofball got in and started it, touched the sunlight sensor on the dash, said I don't know. I said yeah, well, I guess I will live with this (cuz I'm thinking "you sorry excuse for a man gotta mess up my car so I keep coming back HUH UH"). Daughter took car out later and said the turn signal that normally cancels out after you turn has to be manually turned off. Mighty big coincidence, wouldn't you say?

I'm curious about you knowing who broke into your truck? How did you know? Was something taken?
My electronics repair tool kit was stolen. Close to $2000 worth of tools and test equipment.
There was a lowlife family in the neighborhood that were thieves. My truck was broken into about 2 days after the kid got out of jail. Some of the other kids in the neighborhood told my son the thief was trying to sell my stuff.
Karma got both of them eventually because they were too stupid to stay out of trouble. They made the mistake of trying to fight with the County Police Officers. Some of those guys enjoy taking down known troublemakers. They were both in jail for a few years.

We have two pumps in town that you can sign up with the company in the bigger town and get a card to use, with a pin number. They have one diesel pump and one unleaded pump. Just two pumps in the middle of nowhere. You get a bill in the mail each month. Can't use a credit card or anything else.
When I ran an oilfield warehouse, we had a similar situation. We went to a gas station and filled up. I believe we had a special key to use, but it has been 37 years since I did that. Company paid the bill. It was a common oilfield benefit.

There is a new filling station in Denver, Colfax and Gaylord, where you can buy gas or charge your electric car. It is the only one I've seen, ever. Someone is thinking. I saw cars charging there.

I hate it when "Celebrities" start making political statements and showing their real colors…. Every time one does there goes another set of movies or shows that are “Banned” by the household TV baron.. ;)

I wish they could just do their jobs and keep their mouths shut

I hate it when "Celebrities" start making political statements and showing their real colors…. Every time one does there goes another set of movies or shows that are “Banned” by the household TV baron.. ;)

I wish they could just do their jobs and keep their mouths shut

It is a big no-no to talk politics on set too! You can get removed or banned from a production if you mention politics. More often than not celebrities are paid to make those political statements. Why they would want to I don't know but most are as dumb as rocks and do as they are told.

If you are not familiar with Adam Baldwin's body of work I recommend you watch some of his shows and movies. He is ultra conservative. No, he is not a Baldwin brother but a very devout Christian and pro second amendment. Doug Jones is as well. Doug Jones is a creature actor known for Hocus Pocus (Billy Butcherson the zombie), Hellboy (Abe Sapien) and the Shape of Water (the creature).

Please forgive me but I was thinking about the Presidential Debate tonight... And I flashed back to Cheech and Chong's "BOB" from their skit "Let's Make a Dope Deal." I wonder if "BOB" would be offended if we started referring to one of the candidate’s as Bob.....

Well I got my annual October head cold darn it!
Happens every year just different times of the month.
Last year it was at Halloween.
Never fails. PIA
I've tried so many things to boost my immune system so it doesn't happen but it always does
Maybe it has something to do with the seasonal change
ugh.

Got my property tax bill yesterday. 72% increase. Yes, 72%. I was, let's say very upset. Took a bike ride and then a walk. Then I called the county. They said the rise was across the board for everyone in the county.
No it wasn't because 69% of the population are Indians on the reservation who pay no taxes but vote in every elected official in the county.
Now I'm trying not to think about it.

Got my property tax bill yesterday. 72% increase. Yes, 72%. I was, let's say very upset. Took a bike ride and then a walk. Then I called the county. They said the rise was across the board for everyone in the county.
No it wasn't because 69% of the population are Indians on the reservation who pay no taxes but vote in every elected official in the county.
Did they say what the increase was from? Was there a new millage passage since last year or were properties in the area selling for a ridiculously high price? Both of those things will unfortunately raise property taxes.

That is a crazy amount of increase! Can you contest it? We can and I have, but it has made no difference.

We've been having a little increase every time they can raise taxes, which is every two years. It adds up. It has gotten ridiculous, but I am grateful to be in the senior citizen age group, which qualifies me for half of my tax rates. On my block, 4 out of 5 of us are in that senior citizen group. My guess is that currently is part of what is going on with the tax increases, that so many homeowners are senior citizens, and therefore qualify for paying half taxes.

Someone, another senior citizen, who does not live in my tax area, told me that she thinks there is a plan to push people out, by raising taxes to a place that only a certain level can afford to live in certain areas. I had never thought of that prior to that comment. But if we sell and move somewhere else, where? Some places have low taxes, but taxes can be raised anywhere and everywhere.

Who was in charge of this tax increase? This might be something to follow up on. If certain elected officials are all about tax increases, maybe there needs to be an awareness raised to the local citizens and for that person or those persons need to be voted out. There can be corruption anywhere and everywhere. We believe our local elected officials are getting their pockets lined by developers and others to approve their wishes. Last election, we got someone voted out, but the replacement seems to be worse. We did not get the mayor voted out, and it just appears he is serving himself. I believe he is in his last possible term, so then which crook will replace him? It feels like politics is mostly for crooks now.

That is a crazy amount of increase! Can you contest it? We can and I have, but it has made no difference.
That's a good point Weedy. I contested taxes on a piece of property we had years ago. I just called the assessor and didn't even have to go to a meeting. On one piece my rates were decreased by 90%! I also contested another piece and it was reduced as well. It certainly is an avenue worth considering and it costs nothing except time and diligence to contest. Although, we did have some legit reasons to contest and didn't just say "my taxes are too high". Have a reason for the contention and assessors might work with you.

Yep hubby applied for a reduce rate which will go into effect on next years taxes since he turned 65 this year. When I turn 65 I have go down and apply too. ( guess thats in case hubby dies or something. don't know).
Every bit helps

No idea of your age but AZ has tax breaks for seniors.
Might be worth checking into.
Property Tax Relief for Arizona Seniors
We get reduced property tax because of my brother's disability. It went down to under $500 a year.

Please forgive me but I was thinking about the Presidential Debate tonight... And I flashed back to Cheech and Chong's "BOB" from their skit "Let's Make a Dope Deal." I wonder if "BOB" would be offended if we started referring to one of the candidate’s as Bob.....

He didn't fish lip it did he?

Scratches and bites from cats become infected worse and more often than the bite from any other domestic animal.

Scratches and bites from cats become infected worse and more often than the bite from any other domestic animal.
That statistic may be misleading if its calculation doesn't include the Frequency Factor. Careless Kids pick on house cats - and get scratched. Those scratches are often left untreated.

Latest posts

Back