Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I tried something like that I was sophomore in high school. I was going steady with three different girls and took another to the dance.
I went home alone... women! they got no sense of humor. ;) I have grown a bit since then.

The last time I tried something like that I was sophomore in high school. I was going steady with three different girls and took another to the dance.
I went home alone... women! they got no sense of humor. ;) I have grown a bit since then.
ROFL!
Casanova?
You may have grown, but there are some out there probably still playing similar games.

Some people keep the wife and try to have someone on the side, secretly. I wonder how many people have ever done this successfully?
I actually knew 2 women that carried it off successfully for years. Their husbands had NO clue until their wives left them. One was married 25 years and his wife had been with her HS sweetheart all that time. He was completely devastated and started to wonder about the 5 kids.
The other was a typical grandma. She carried on with a younger man for over 15 years.
I do not know of any man that was able to get away with it. Women seem to have a 6th sense about things like that but men are usually clueless.

Women seem to have a 6th sense about things like that but men are usually clueless.
I believe that some women are exactly like that. I do have a 6th sense about some things, but can be clueless at other times. I have been blind-sided more than once in my life, and it was devastating to me. I have always been a straight shooter. I don't have the ability to create stories and to carry them on as needed. I prefer to tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. At the same time, people who create a ruse or a subterfuge to get me to do what they want, may succeed for the time, but I will be totally done with them. I had a boss who lied unlike anyone I had ever met. She created big problems for me with her lies. I found a new job.

I worked with two people who were married to others, but began having an affair. I saw them in the staff lounge and I tuned in quickly that something was going on. I began to tell my closest colleagues that I thought something was going on between them. Really? Oh yes, they divorced their spouses and got married to each other.

I had a friend who's father carried on with his secretary for several years (started when his wife was pregnant with their 4th kid). He got in touch with a lawyer behind her back, secretly shifted a bunch of assets to a separate undisclosed bank account & one day just said "You're fat! I'm divorcing you" to her. He had discouraged her from getting a college degree or doing anything to be able to support herself. He gave her a very small allowance of $ from his paycheck and she had to pay ALL of the bills and buy all of the food while he was saving up $ in his other account. This left her with no $ to hire a good lawyer and she didn't know the military would have provided one for free. He threatened to take the kids if she didn't do everything he demanded. So he got the house (which had increased in value) and she got all of the cheap stuff inside it (but had nowhere to put the stuff). He sold the house after the divorce, kept 80% of the $, and left her pretty much destitute. He paid like $50 per child and ended up getting custody of one of the kids because she was the mother's least favorite (she was the one who was my friend). Treated the poor kid like a servant.

Another guy I knew carried on with a mistress who didn't know he was married. His wife was terminally ill & he married his mistress after she died. Later on in a conversation she found out he'd cheated on his wife with her and she was upset. He had told her his wife was already dead.

Then there was the guy who had multiple affairs and his wife tolerated it until he hooked up with a 17-yr-old. She filed for divorce, got the house and lion's share of the $. So he pushed her off a cliff and pretended to that he "found" her body at the bottom the next morning.

I really, really, really hate windows… Right now I’m making major changes to my old dell desktop preparing for a final clean backup before switching to linux, either as a dual boot system or on a new pc…

In the last two weeks I have deleted 40GB of redundant, poor quality or other wise useless files, folders and photos. Tonight, a deleted folder re-appeared. I deleted it again… it just kept coming back! Using Norton utilities I managed to make a couple more folders inside that one reappear.

Pretty sure further down the folder tree a file or folder I deleted yesterday had a “read only” status. Windows let me deleted it initially but keeps bringing the folders back.

Meaning windows screwed up, I don’t care what the status is, I want it gone!

I actually had to go online, figure out how to run the command prompt as administrator, then find the necessary commands to delete the silly f#$% folders. Of course, on the net I found 8 or so different command strings to accomplish this task. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!

No guarantee any of them the work but the odds are one of them will, for tomorrow…

I used to do this sort of thing on my job daily, but it’s been a few years… Did I say I really hate windows… The last software Uncle Billy released that I liked was Dos.

I got a new laptop in February. There were none in the store to look at. I had gone in and out of various stores a few times, trying to look at computers to determine what to buy. I finally stood at a counter and the woman behind the counter ordered a computer (laptop) for me. I had little idea what I was getting, but I really needed something because the touch screen on my old laptop no longer worked. I was able to plug in an auxiliary screen, but what a pain with all the moving around I do with house sitting. The new laptop has been a real pain as well. It is a refurbished model, which I would never have gotten if I had known. It is working for me, but there are some features that are not what I am used to. I know that technology is always changing, but, I wish I had a little more control over some of my options.
My internet provider made some changes to their service last fall and if I get an email, reply and then get a reply, I cannot tell I have now gotten a reply. Emails can sit there, and I have no idea I have a new response!

When I woke this morning yet another way to get rid of the pesky deleted folders popped into my head. It worked...

I take thousands of plant photos every year. Each year I create a folder under "Pictures" named like this "Spring 21 01", 21 is the year, 01 is the first main depository of photos that year. Underneath I create another folder each month "Spring 21 01\01 jan" for example, all the photos I take that month get filed underneath by category every couple of days.

At the end of the year I'll create another folder underneath... example "Spring 19 01\Camera Dump". Every photo that happens to be left on my camera or phone go into the dump to be compared later, just in case one got missed during the year.

What windows did yesterday... A camera dump folder from 2019 got renamed and moved to the folder "Spring 21 01\cdump19olda" in preparation for a system backup.

Although all the photos in the renamed folder were processed the empty folder was still under "Spring 21 01". For some unknown reason windows still associated the renamed/moved folder with "Spring 19 01\". When I deleted the empty folder "Spring 19 01" windows kept bringing it back!!! Stupid naughty windows!

So, this morning I deleted "Spring 21 01\cdump19olda" then deleted "Spring 19 01".

Windows was finally happy and permanently removed the folder "C:\User\*******\Pictures\Spring 19 01". Did I say I really hate windows? :mad::mad::mad: All of this time and thought was wasted trying to delete a worthless empty folder... This is why!!!

Last edited:
When I woke this morning yet another way to get rid of the pesky deleted folders popped into my head. It worked...

I take thousands of plant photos every year. Each year I create a folder under "Pictures" named like this "Spring 21 01", 21 is the year, 01 is the first main depository of photos that year. Underneath I create another folder each month "Spring 21 01\01 jan" for example, all the photos I take that month get filed underneath by category every couple of days.

At the end of the year I'll create another folder underneath... example "Spring 19 01\Camera Dump". Every photo that happens to be left on my camera or phone go into the dump to be compared later, just in case one got missed during the year.

What window did yesterday... A camera dump folder from 2019 got renamed and moved to the folder "Spring 21\cdump19olda" in preparation for a system backup.

Although all the photos in the renamed folder were processed the empty folder was still under "Spring 21". For some unknown reason windows still associated the renamed/moved folder with "Spring 19\". When I deleted the empty folder "Spring 19" windows kept bringing it back!!! Stupid naughty windows!

So, this morning I deleted "Spring 21\cdump19olda" then deleted "Spring 19 01".

Windows was finally happy and permanently removed the folder "C:\User\*******\Pictures\Spring 19 01". Did I say I really hate windows? :mad::mad::mad: All of this time and thought was wasted trying to delete a worthless empty folder... This is why!!!
What do you think of external hard drives? I am on my second one. The first one went up in smoke, literally. I plugged it in and it started smoking. I took it in and had the data moved to a new one. This old hard drive was around 10 years old.
I have lots of genealogy research over the years for lack of being able to store it in one place. In a genealogy Zoom meeting I asked how people kept their research? External hard drives.

What do you think of external hard drives?

When I make a backup... I then make a 2nd backup. Solid state drives are finally reasonably priced. Thumb drives are even cheaper and quite large.

I prefer using thumb drives. They use no electricity and will hold data about 10yrs. I also like their portability.

Because they are so cheap it's practical for me to keep 2 backup copies for a given year.

Last edited:
I always make a backup... then make a 2nd backup. Solid state drives are finally reasonably priced. Thumb drives are even cheaper and quite large.

I prefer using thumb drives. They use no electricity and will hold data about 10yrs. I also like their portability.

Because they are so cheap it's practical for me to keep 2 backup copies.
I know I haven't been so good about backups as I should have been.
I have a few thumb drives, but I also know they are easy to lose. I don't think I've ever lost one, but I know others who have.

@Weedygarden This is 4 years worth of backups. These little storage boxes are about $1 each on amerzit. The little dividers are removable. I've never lost a thumb drive. I misplaced one for a few months when my house flooded one night. I had more important things on my mind than proper storage of a thumb drive.

Thumbs  (2) sm.JPG

Because the information on my computer is constantly modified and added to I backup monthly and more often weekly or even a couple of times in a single day. I backup to an external drive and then copy the updates to two other computers. I don't backup the entire computer just the files that I make. All my files are in a single directory (folder) with subdirectories (folders) for different categories that hold the individual files. So I only have to delete the the folder named "old content", rename the last up date "old content" and copy the new update as "content". That way I have the previous data and the current data in case something is garbaged. It is only 16 gigabytes roughly so it doesn't take long to delete, rename and copy.

When you say "mainframe" are you talking about a server?

I store everything on my personal mainframe. I don't miss information when I forget I ever had it.
If the old mainframe goes down external gadgets won't do me much good.

I no longer need to clean files as it's all built in.
That's what the Colonial Pipeline people did. :thumbs:

Pay the ransom.

I store everything on my personal mainframe. I don't miss information when I forget I ever had it.
If the old mainframe goes down external gadgets won't do me much good.

I no longer need to clean files as it's all built in.
I thought he was talking about his head.

I miss the old RAID 1 mirror systems, I would just keep a hard drive with all my programs and keep copies of all my data on thumb drives. I usually had 4 drives per computer 2 in the computer, and 2 complete operating systems and software sitting on the shelf. As things get "better" I feel that the improvements are taking away my security...

At my previous place of employment I did engineering consulting but did IT for a while. Finally the company hired an IT System administrator to take over the network, I had been asked to gently keep an eye on them as they were settling in. I was told on Friday that the new IT guy was going to do an upgrade to the system over the weekend. I stayed after work to pull a mirror off they system (put it in my desk drawer) and then install a new drive to rebuild the complete image and went home. I started getting panicked calls at 6AM on Sunday from the company owner. Seems the new IT guy did the system upgrade, crashed the system and could not get it restored, he demanded that I rush over and fix the problem. So I went in, asked the guy,"did you do a backup before starting?" No, "Did you try to restore from the last regular backup?" yes but the new OS doesn't recognize the backup.... The guy was almost crying... I went to the fridge, grabbed a diet coke, went to my desk and returned with my mirror image. Then I formatted a drive, removed all the drives from the system, installed my image and the blank drive and restored the system to where it was COB on Friday. By Noon the system was fully restored and I removed my image telling the young man "Always cover your A$$ before doing an upgrade". By 6 PM he was making a second attempt at installing the new OS, this time he was covered with backups and such and the upgrade went fine. I was home by midnight and on Monday morning no one was the wiser.

That was almost 20 years ago, the young man has had a good career doing IT tech support and we are still friends.

I run Apple Macintoshes. Every computer has an external drive for backup, many things are also duplicated on DVD or flash drives. In this case, May 27, 2020 was when I did the first start on this computer.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.24.16 PM.png

The windows boxes have a "restore" flash drive, and drivers for the chirp radio cable drivers. I can also do chirp from all my Macs.

Last edited:
At my previous place of employment I did engineering consulting but did IT for a while. Finally the company hired an IT System administrator to take over the network, I had been asked to gently keep an eye on them as they were settling in. I was told on Friday that the new IT guy was going to do an upgrade to the system over the weekend. I stayed after work to pull a mirror off they system (put it in my desk drawer) and then install a new drive to rebuild the complete image and went home. I started getting panicked calls at 6AM on Sunday from the company owner. Seems the new IT guy did the system upgrade, crashed the system and could not get it restored, he demanded that I rush over and fix the problem. So I went in, asked the guy,"did you do a backup before starting?" No, "Did you try to restore from the last regular backup?" yes but the new OS doesn't recognize the backup.... The guy was almost crying... I went to the fridge, grabbed a diet coke, went to my desk and returned with my mirror image. Then I formatted a drive, removed all the drives from the system, installed my image and the blank drive and restored the system to where it was COB on Friday. By Noon the system was fully restored and I removed my image telling the young man "Always cover your A$$ before doing an upgrade". By 6 PM he was making a second attempt at installing the new OS, this time he was covered with backups and such and the upgrade went fine. I was home by midnight and on Monday morning no one was the wiser.

That was almost 20 years ago, the young man has had a good career doing IT tech support and we are still friends.
I asked my customer if she had a backup of a drive that was acting up. She didn't so I waited for a full backup.

Soon thereafter the drive died.

The customer was very thankful no data was lost.

The Princess is still thankful to this day i asked to do a backup

Ben

Hey, I saw in the NEWS today that Netherlands has ordered Shell to Green House Gas emissions by 45%....
Shell: Netherlands court orders oil giant to cut emissions

I wounder how long it will take for Shell to shut down operations in the Netherlands....... They could always move to someplace friendly like the Cayman Islands, I bet if they bought an Island they could limit protesters...

Hey, I saw in the NEWS today that Netherlands has ordered Shell to Green House Gas emissions by 45%....
Shell: Netherlands court orders oil giant to cut emissions

I wounder how long it will take for Shell to shut down operations in the Netherlands....... They could always move to someplace friendly like the Cayman Islands, I bet if they bought an Island they could limit protesters...
That may be the last straw for the stock I own in them.:waiting:
I didn't know the Netherlands keeps 20% of their stock-dividend payments for 'foriegn income tax' until after I bought it. :mad:
Lots of other fish in the sea.
If the Dutch want to commit financial suicide, fine, but I will not be involved
NoDeal.gif
NPR said:
.The ruling applies to Shell and its suppliers and covers not only the companies' emissions but also emissions from products burned by its customers.
NPR said:
Royal Dutch Shell is based in The Hague, where the case was heard. Shell can still appeal the ruling, something the company said it expects to do. The Dutch judge said the more ambitious target for the company will remain in effect while the appeals process plays out.

Last edited:
These posts are so good to read. We are having a financial planner come over today to discuss retirement. I have to clean off the kitchen table so we can sit there and talk. As for the rest of the house........it is what it is. ☹ It’s not dirty like food and trash piled up but yarn, things I use every day, shoes, other craft things.
I clean houses for a living, so my house gets neglected a little. Floors and kitchen always great, dusting can do itself😾. If you come in my house you deal with it or grab a dust rag😳

I clean houses for a living, so my house gets neglected a little. Floors and kitchen always great, dusting can do itself😾. If you come in my house you deal with it or grab a dust rag😳
I heard Phyllis Diller once say.

I don't mind people writing in the dust. Just don't date it.

Ben

Latest posts

Back