Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I got a rant.
I've been nearly bedridden going on two weeks with this GD foot, bills are stacking up, and so is garbage, the only person who cares enough to check on me is 90 years old and he's not doing so good and I think my imminent future might just be in some kind of retirement home. I can't have my cats, guns, music, cigarettes, computer, workshop, OR FREEDOM in one of those damned places and I'm watching a lifetime of training and hoarding gear drift into the sunset and I'm not even sixty yet! none of the bloodsucking gun dealers locally will even give me what I paid for some of my gear thirty years ago and I got nobody to leave this crap to. I'm getting mighty depressed here! Hell, I can't even get to the damned doctor!

My cats and the wildlife probably think I'm dead.

OK, I got a rant.
I've been nearly bedridden going on two weeks with this GD foot, bills are stacking up, and so is garbage, the only person who cares enough to check on me is 90 years old and he's not doing so good and I think my imminent future might just be in some kind of retirement home. I can't have my cats, guns, music, cigarettes, computer, workshop, OR FREEDOM in one of those damned places and I'm watching a lifetime of training and hoarding gear drift into the sunset and I'm not even sixty yet! none of the bloodsucking gun dealers locally will even give me what I paid for some of my gear thirty years ago and I got nobody to leave this crap to. I'm getting mighty depressed here! Hell, I can't even get to the damned doctor!

This is when you need to find the inner strength to make the changes necessary to make a come back.

OK, I got a rant.

If you have been down for 2 weeks with gout, maybe a trip to the Dr. is due to get him to prescribe one of the meds that fix it?
They have made great progress in treating this 'old' disease:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-gout
Most people will need a prescription dose of an anti-inflammatory drug, corticosteroid pills (such as prednisone), or the drug colchicine (Mitigare, Colcrys). The drug colchicine can suppress inflammation in certain conditions, including gout. It is not a pain reliever.
They do the same thing the corticosteroid shot they give you does.

Last edited:
I can't get out of my house, however. :p
Hardhead!
You can hop to your truck on 1 leg and drive with one foot.
You are just worried he's gonna give you "the shot". :(

I can't get out of my house, however. :p
Gout comes from a build up of uric acid in your body then crystalizes in your joints, usually toe and ankles. It gets worse each time you have it! Tart cherry will take the uric acid out of your system. Walmart sells the Spring Valley brand for $7.88 for 90 pills. Figure out who can get you some and start taking 4 -6 a day for a few days, then 2 a day forever. Stay away from high protein and processed foods, they along with alcohol cause uric acid!! L- lysine helps your body store good proteins, and drink A lot water. Uric acid is removed from the body via urine. Alcohol separates the uric acid so it does not have the effect water does! Dr. Pearl, Medicine Woman has spoken!! Get Well!!

Hardhead!
You can hop to your truck on 1 leg and drive with one foot.
You are just worried he's gonna give you "the shot". :(
Yeah, but after I fall off the porch, I'll lay there until somebody finds me.

Ask that 90 yr old neighbor that checks on you how he gets to doc appts. How does he get to the store? How does he get help?
If he gets medicaid, he can get home health care, and so can you. Look up senior services on the computer for your area and call them. If you aren't old enough, they will tell you who to call.

We both use those weekly pill holders for our meds. We both take enough that we have our meds in a metal basket. Yesterday I went to get my basket to fix my meds up & no basket. Where in the hell did I put it? My wife just happened to notice it a few days ago & thought I wonder why he put it up there (on top of a display). After I looked everywhere she told me where it was. Here's the sad part. I was on my way to put it up & the doorbell rang. I put it on top of that display & remember thinking I better come back & get that or I'll never find it. Well, I didn't come back & if it wasn't for my wife I would have never found it. Grrrrr...

Magus, I hope you can get some relief and that you can find a way to get to the doctor. I know that being depressed is making you feel hopeless and making things worse. I really didn't want to have to call an ambulance for my Mom but I did and it saved her life.

Cats are being a-holes today. Particularly Senator Snugglebum. He's been starting fights-- got into 3 (almost 4) fights today that had to be broken up. One good thing is that he never attacks humans. So we can pick him up and put him in timeout without him biting or scratching us, but the other cats aren't the same. I had to pull a claw shell off of his face from where another cat got him. He was still huffing and puffing while I was calming him down in his time-out spot. He was attacking some of the female cats for no reason and it made his brothers angry. First he went after poor Ginger and Biscuits took umbrage and jumped on him-- led to a tussle in my room. Yasuke joined in and Biscuits fled. So I had to get Biscuits and Snugglebum to stop fighting. They were in a standoff so I put my hands in between and told them to back off each other but ultimately had to pick Snugglebum up and carry him away. Yasuke won't let me do that.

Then Snugglebum jumped on Bethesda and Gravy Jones got mad and jumped on him. They were still physically grappling with claws in each other's faces when my brother grabbed them by the scruffs of their necks and pried them apart. He put Snugglebum in time out spot. Then he was trying to fight with Yasuke again and I had to separate them. I also had to tell Gravy Jones to stop howling at every cat that walked by. I think staying inside because of the rain has them feeling cranky.

Meanwhile, I bought some leather to make a Jedi belt and I can't find it. I put it in a spot where it should be safe where I thought I'd remember it but I can't remember where now and can't seem to locate it. I hate how much my memory sucks.

Ask that 90 yr old neighbor that checks on you how he gets to doc appts. How does he get to the store? How does he get help?
If he gets medicaid, he can get home health care, and so can you. Look up senior services on the computer for your area and call them. If you aren't old enough, they will tell you who to call.
Great idea!

Well, the fun never stops, yesterday I had to have a tech come out and work on my internet again, that was twice in two days, I was told it was my computer so I canceled my internet until I could get this POS HP fixed, well when they "turned it off" the damned internet came back on, I called and canceled the shutdown and everything went off! well, I finally got it straightened out, so I'm back.
Shoutouts and thanks to Frodo and AMC! thanks for the help.

Well, the fun never stops, yesterday I had to have a tech come out and work on my internet again, that was twice in two days, I was told it was my computer so I canceled my internet until I could get this POS HP fixed, well when they "turned it off" the damned internet came back on, I called and canceled the shutdown and everything went off! well, I finally got it straightened out, so I'm back.
Shoutouts and thanks to Frodo and AMC! thanks for the help.
Well how is your gout, hope you are feeling better!!??

Well how is your gout, hope you are feeling better!!??
Magus, I worked in a school where the Facility Manager would have bouts of gout. I asked him what the cause was. He told me that when he drank it bothered him. I'm more inclined to believe that there is probably a link to diet. I sure could be wrong.
The gout is better, now I think I cracked a bone or at least twisted it good!

I rarely ever drink due to my stomach. I try to balance my diet, when this crap hit me I was on chicken and fish with an occasional chili dog. I use the cheapo chicken hot dogs so I'm thinking just hurting my foot might have brought it on. I'm getting off sodas slowly, drinking lemonade and juices mostly. When it hit I had been on vegan burritos for a few days, no meat. For $ 6, I can eat 4 meals doing that and they're filling!

My brother in law corrected his gout problem with drinking two glasses of real cherry juice a day from Walmart.
I mixed a bottle of extract in with my cranberry juice, it blew out the gout, but the twisted/cracked foot remains. I'm running out of smokes!

@Magus This is a ‘you can do it to’ speech…. 98% of the people like me with cfs live a semi-bed ridden nocturnal state. It’s a horrible way to live, I know. I was one of them for several years. I was lucky that for a few years I had people looking out for me. But in the end I was facing the same choice as you. I chose ‘other’! I used to work in medical research, easy for me to step outside the box. I know it’s very difficult choice for most people.

Plant medicine more than anything else turned my life around. But there are several other factors that greatly affect my day to day health.

Simple foods prepared from scratch is still a big one. Even now if circumstance forces me to eat processed/canned foods for a couple days it’ll put me on my back. Takes days to get that crap out of my system and be back to my normal crappy health. I buy oil, flour, cornmeal, meat and greens, rice, beans. I was never a big green guy but I’ve learned ranch dressing can make anything edible. Eating healthy can be done cheaply too but I had to learn to cook everything from scratch.

The other biggy is a schedule, probably the single most difficult thing for cfs people. A simple daytime schedule, regular times to wake, eat, sleep. Sounds so simple its dismissed by most people. But, it has a huge effect on the human body, our mind and our overall health.

Its taken me years to figure this out by trail and error. But my ac1 is less than 5.2, resting BP is 72/54. Resting pulse rate is less than 65bpm. For years my doctor has told me I’m the healthiest disabled person he knows. But getting here wasn’t easy, neither is staying here. In spite of this i'm still confined to my chair for days, sometimes weeks. But my worst days now are still better than my best days before I made all these changes.

Simple right… eat healthy, sleep and wake on a regular schedule, natural medicines. Simple but not easy, it’s a struggle for me. You can do 2 of the 3 things starting today. They are hard to do and it might be a few months before you begin seeing the results. But you will see results! What you’re doing now clearly isn’t working, why not try something different? What’s the old joke? ‘doc, it hurts when I do this’… ‘then don’t do that’!!!

You may not know plant medicine, it’s take me 20yrs of study. But long ago I realized big pharma is a one way ticket to a dirt nap. A simple choice to make but difficult to carry out. Where you live in n georgia has more than a 1000 species of medicine growing wild. But you only need a few plants to address your immediate issues. I can help you get those few.

Get better what ever you decide! :)

Last edited:
I know havasu probably didn't mean the maraschino cherries, but now I'm thinking of them and the juice they come in. or is it a syrup? Love that stuff. But not healthy.

Been sick the last few days and so has Mom. Got off our schedule and haven't had breakfast because both of us were too tired and sour stomached to eat. I didn't eat until sometime after 6pm yesterday. I got Mom something to eat earlier. I cooked a burger for her with egg on top. Still feeling tired and having sinus headaches and generally feeling cruddy.

I'm worried about my best friend's wife. She has been very ill the last couple of weeks and it turns out her 11 week fetus is only the size of 5 weeks and has no pulse. So, pretty sure it died at 5 weeks and has been festering. She'd been saying all the sickness would be worth it in the end if she had a healthy baby. It really upsets her more that her husband's ex is about to pop out a 3rd baby and doesn't even want it. Friend's wife is more of a mother to the ex's first child than the birth mom is. But she wants her own baby. One that we will know is actually my friend's kid and not the offspring of whatever crackhead the ex found.

Meanwhile, my brother's toe is swollen and he won't listen to me about going to the foot doctor about it. It's causing him pain and making it hard for him to walk. He really needs it checked out-- especially since he has diabetes and already is starting to show signs of neuropathy.

The weather isn't making things any better. Been hot and humid. Bleh.

Okay. Here’s my rant. I have trouble walking but today I walked up and down two blocks at a city plant sale/craft fair. I bought a Hardy hibiscus, some impatiens and some lavender. My Hubby is gone for the whole day. I come home and I want to get these plants in the ground before it rains. I just couldn’t do it. I don’t have enough balance to step on a spade. The ground was rocky. I just couldn’t get any of this planted. I was so frustrated I wanted to cry.

I use a post hole digger to plant with it is much easier to shape the hole, place the dirt and break it up.

I always file the edges of the PHDs to make it easier to dig.

@zannej Bro better get to doc now before the bad blood gets around to the rest of his body.

That is a death trip if you do not catch it in the first stages.

I had a tooth to die and it put poison in my system by the second day made me sick for a month, and I have a fasting Blood sugar of around 82.

My cousins oldest son died at 54 of sepsis caused by a bacterial induced necrosis in about a week, all of it started from a lesion on his ear.

Air conditioner. 28,000 BTU in the wall Friedrich. Fantastic. It got wicked hot here, so I plugged it in. The minute electricity made connection it was running. Hmmm Odd I say. Normally I have to press the ON button for that to happen. Won't turn off (unless I unplug it from the wall). Runs constant even if I up the temp to 84. Call the store where I got it because I can't remember when it was purchased--this is my second Friedrich. Seems it's out of warranty because I purchased it in 2014. Had no idea that much time has passed. (that's the second part of my rant). Now I have to find someone to repair it. Have a friend in commercial HVAC and he said it sounds like the board.

Either it gets fixed pronto or I'll be purchasing a new one. My apartment is hot like a kiln in the summer.

Latest posts

Back