Re breeding after c-section.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A good friend of mine had a 3yr old doe deliver twins last spring but had a third all twisted up and was unable to deliver it. Its position made it impossible to pull. This is her favorite dairy goat and a pet so they spent $600 to have a c-section to have the dead kid removed. This year she keeps going into heat and won't settle. She has quite a bit (LOTS!)of white discharge while she is in heat but only while she is in heat. She's never done that before. She didn't want to breed her this year but the neighbor can't keep his buck contained and he's been with her several times. Now my friend is worried there is something wrong with her. Any thoughts or ideas?

I guess that is the difference between livestock and a "pet" ...

I know what I would do as a farmer but I don't think your friend would want to hear that ...

So I will wish them the best out come.

(sorry)

I would have had her spayed and butchered after the kids were weaned and I was done milking for the year but I understand. I've spent way to much on pets.

A good friend of mine had a 3yr old doe deliver twins last spring but had a third all twisted up and was unable to deliver it. Its position made it impossible to pull. This is her favorite dairy goat and a pet so they spent $600 to have a c-section to have the dead kid removed. This year she keeps going into heat and won't settle. She has quite a bit (LOTS!)of white discharge while she is in heat but only while she is in heat. She's never done that before. She didn't want to breed her this year but the neighbor can't keep his buck contained and he's been with her several times. Now my friend is worried there is something wrong with her. Any thoughts or ideas?

Something wrong as in....? I believe there is a med that you can give them fairly soon after being with a buck to avoid being impregnated.

Something wrong as in....? I believe there is a med that you can give them fairly soon after being with a buck to avoid being impregnated.

As in she's not taking. She's come into heat every 21 days since mid Aug and the buck has broken in and bred her at least 3 times that I know of. She's in heat again today.

I think I would explain the situation to the owner of the buck and then explain that if the buck shows up again, he will not be returning home. :eyeballs:

The doe may have a uterine/vaginal infection. I had a cat experience the same thing. The mating but not getting pregnant and having discharge thing. Not the $600 c-section bit. The discharge was preventing pregnancy which is a good thing but she needed to be "cleaned out" and packed with medication to clear up the infection. I had the cat fixed when the vet was taking care of the infection.

The doe may have a uterine/vaginal infection. I had a cat experience the same thing. The mating but not getting pregnant and having discharge thing. Not the $600 c-section bit. The discharge was preventing pregnancy which is a good thing but she needed to be "cleaned out" and packed with medication to clear up the infection. I had the cat fixed when the vet was taking care of the infection.

Its called pyometra. I, too, had a cat with this. She had to be spayed.

I think I would explain the situation to the owner of the buck and then explain that if the buck shows up again, he will not be returning home. :eyeballs:
The buck is already gone. The livestock inspector came out to fine the owner who said"not my goat" so he was seized and removed as a stray.

The buck is already gone. The livestock inspector came out to fine the owner who said"not my goat" so he was seized and removed as a stray.

Well, now there is no worry of pregnancy until this is figured out. I'd really like to know what is going on with the doe.

Well, now there is no worry of pregnancy until this is figured out. I'd really like to know what is going on with the doe.

She's going to talk to the vet tomorrow. She didn't want to breed her but now she's worried because she's not pregnant. I'll let you know what is found.

She's going to talk to the vet tomorrow. She didn't want to breed her but now she's worried because she's not pregnant. I'll let you know what is found.

Have you found out anything yet? If I can talk my wife into the initial expense, I'd like to raise some goats, after the house is built.. I'll tell her I won't have to deer hunt anymore!( I can't lie to her though!)
Will they kill poisonous snakes w/o getting hurt like a hog does.
Haha! I have a city slicker phone. It didn't recognize the word 'hog'! I had to add it to the dictionary.

Latest posts

Back