reading comprehension

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have not seen it on this forum. It seems the lack of reading comprehension can be a problem at times on other forums. It seems larger the forum, the worse the problem can be. Is this a indication of the failing of our education system? Or more to do with the instant-ness of the WWW?

This isn't about spelling or even grammar. This isn't about tangents, bunny trails or maybe a silly reply from a original post. Those usually come after a thread takes on some character. A lot can be gleaned from a tangent, I luv them.

This came up due to a post I posted on another forum. I swear the first few responses made no sense. I wondered if they had actually read my original post. I suppose we are all guilty of reading to fast and not letting things sink in.

then I wonder maybe it's me, I'm losing my mind

Lowe’s carries good sinks.

:)

I am sure I have been guilty of this a few times. It’s a good reminder to me to slow down and check my biases. Modern society has produced short attention spans and a hurried approach to a lot of things. Those super busy sites do attract more of this behavior for some reason.

It's easy to get off track in a longer thread, but to get off track in the first few posts is indicative of lack of reading comprehension.

But............if you are talking current events or politics then all bets are off.

Reading comprehension is definitely a problem. It always has been, but now its out of control. IMO, it goes right along with sesame street attention spans and a lack of reading. By reading, I refer to old timey serious writers using big words and no pictures; the internet and TV has done us no favors in this regard. We used to have to read weighty authors like Dickinson and disect them. This was learning comprehension.

Now I think it may be more acceptable to not read and understand the book, and simply ban it altogether. Auto predict isn't helping much either. I go back over my post and WTH is that all about?

I find this lack of comprehension carries into verbal conversations as well. People have poor vocabulary skills. In many cases, it isn't because they are any dumber, but nurture over nature has taken it's toll. It is hard to even find a well written book these days. Its only going to get worse with the woke crowd taking over. Grammar is now white privilege. There is a concerted effort under way to re create feudalism.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension is definitely a problem. It always has been, but now its out of control. IMO, it goes right along with sesame street attention spans and a lack of reading. By reading, I refer to old timey serious writers using big words and no pictures; the internet and TV has done us no favors in this regard. We used to have to read weighty authors like Dickinson and disect them. This was learning comprehension.

Now I think it may be more acceptable to not read and understand the book, and simply ban it altogether. Auto predict isn't helping much either. I go back over my post and WTH is that all about?

I find this lack of comprehension carries into verbal coversations as well. People have poor vocabulary skills. In many cases, it isn't because they are any dumber, but nurture over nature has taken it's toll. It is hard to even find a well written book these days. Its only going to get worse with the woke crowd taking over. Grammar is now white privilege. There is a concerted effort under way to re create feudalism.
The sad fact is that the average American citizen reads and comprehends at about the sixth grade level and that a significant percentage, if not a majority, of our fellow citizens don’t really read at all. As you say this is reflected in many verbal conversations, even by those whose job it is to convey information to the public. There is no emphasis placed on reading or comprehension in our schools, nor it seems in a great many homes, and those who do read are denigrated by their peers as “nerds” or “geeks” and ostracized in many social settings. One of our Nations leading founding fathers and intellectual lights, Thomas Jefferson, is famously quoted as saying “ The best defense of democracy is an informed electorate” - one has only to look at today’s society to realize that this is no longer the case in this Country.

It could be reading comprehension. Then again, when people think they get to know someone based on previous posts, they assume what a post says - they read past it, rather than actually look at the words - and let their emotions take over. This usually results in a pretty poor forum experience for everyone. It can certainly happen anywhere, but it doesn't seem to happen here too much.

The sad fact is that the average American citizen reads and comprehends at about the sixth grade level and that a significant percentage, if not a majority, of our fellow citizens don’t really read at all. As you say this is reflected in many verbal conversations, even by those whose job it is to convey information to the public. There is no emphasis placed on reading or comprehension in our schools, nor it seems in a great many homes, and those who do read are denigrated by their peers as “nerds” or “geeks” and ostracized in many social settings. One of our Nations leading founding fathers and intellectual lights, Thomas Jefferson, is famously quoted as saying “ The best defense of democracy is an informed electorate” - one has only to look at today’s society to realize that this is no longer the case in this Country.

Your point about the general reading level is a great point. I have been an avid reader since I learned to read at an early age. I recall being in the 3rd grade at a new school, they had something new to me, gave us a list of books we could purchase to read and to keep on thru the summer. One of the 3 I picked was Frankenstien by Mary Shelly. It surprised my teacher since it was recommended for higher grades. She had us do book reports on our books. I got an A on that one. Later when the grade level testing came along, I was reading at high school level before I started middle school. Many of my classmates never read anything that wasn't required. And their results showed. I've continued reading ever since. To me its a comfort item and we have built a decent library since wife and I got married.

Now days reading and comprehension is not much considered any longer. It is pathetic and makes it hard to teach folks trying to learn a career. Much teaching is hands on, but there is always things to be researched and learned. Reading, even if it's a website or video is very important

I have not seen it on this forum. It seems the lack of reading comprehension can be a problem at times on other forums. It seems larger the forum, the worse the problem can be. Is this a indication of the failing of our education system? Or more to do with the instant-ness of the WWW?

This isn't about spelling or even grammar. This isn't about tangents, bunny trails or maybe a silly reply from a original post. Those usually come after a thread takes on some character. A lot can be gleaned from a tangent, I luv them.

This came up due to a post I posted on another forum. I swear the first few responses made no sense. I wondered if they had actually read my original post. I suppose we are all guilty of reading to fast and not letting things sink in.

then I wonder maybe it's me, I'm losing my mind
Yes, yes it's that you are loosing your mind 😂

I think just like people interrupting while another is speaking, many people are so eager to make their opinion or story known, they don't listen or read. My opinion: I have experienced sooo many times when adults are talking and a youngster comes along and talks right over the speaker (and usually louder) and the parent caters to the child's whim rather than making them wait their turn and teaching them when an appropriate time is. This would teach them to listen. Same goes for reading. It's these kids who are now considered adults who do this. Probably part of the reason I enjoy visiting with older folks. They actually know how to have a conversation.

And one of those little digressions: along the lines of what @Bacpacker was saying. I didn't have great reading skills as a child. I was and still am a slow reader. Being so, the teachers would point me to "simple books." Those were boring to me, of course so I didn't like to read. Once I found books about places and things and even had to look up some words while reading, I found I enjoyed reading. I actually like books with good vocabulary.

Well I have to admit I am an avid reader, no scratch that - I am a hard core book junkie who reads any and everything I can get my hands on - and I am never without a book or twelve at hand - although these days it’s my iPad because the eyes just aren’t what they used to be. To me reading is a fundamental skill that should encouraged and taught to every child as early as possible as the benefits garnered are incalculable in later life.

Most folks here try to understand what a thread is about and respond accordingly. A few do not, what the reasons are I don’t know. I have no idea how I come across to other members, probably bi-polar or schizophrenic. I have a debilitating illness that causes my energy levels to change radically throughout the day. With changing energy levels my mental acuity changes. A post that I misunderstand at 10am may be perfectly clear at noon, so I rarely respond to a new thread right away. I usually wait an hour or so, or until others have responded. Having a few posts to read cuts down on my missing the point of a thread.

But I still make mistakes, misunderstand what I read. To others it may seems my reading comprehension is lacking at times. It’s not, I was reading at an adult level by the time I started the 5th grade.

As a side note… I’m partially dyslexic which is far more pronounced when I’m extremely tired. You folks should read your posts through my eyes sometimes, absolutely hysterical! Example… The thread titled “Pope Endorces Same Sex Unions”. When I’m exhausted my mind always sees it as “Pope Encores Sex Shamed Unicorns”. I sit here and laugh my butt off sometimes…
biggrin.gif

Peanut

Thats why this forum is receiving higher marks than others. Even though our brains want to explode at times, people are trying to think it through, be civil and maintain low tones. There is no doubt that polite conversation will occur, even when it gets a bit heated and off the beaten track, and no one agrees on anything. Most people are willing to back off, cool down and regroup.

Until you fessed up, just now, we would never have guessed you are so creative in what you are seeing. I admit that these days, that's about how my ears are working.

Staying on topic can be difficult at times, people have so much going on and they just want to spill it out (I find myself guilty at times) and in our rush we forget to put it in the right place. Kind of like at the fridge, why is there beer in the crisper?

Lady L brings up a great point. I was taught early on if I wasn't familiar with a word, look it up in your dictionary. Best way in the world to expand your vocbulary

I still do it. Never too old to learn. Now remembering what you learned is a whole nuther subject. :)

Most folks here try to understand what a thread is about and respond accordingly. A few do not, what the reasons are I don’t know. I have no idea how I come across to other members, probably bi-polar or schizophrenic. I have a debilitating illness that causes my energy levels to change radically throughout the day. With changing energy levels my mental acuity changes. A post that I misunderstand at 10am may be perfectly clear at noon, so I rarely respond to a new thread right away. I usually wait an hour or so, or until others have responded. Having a few posts to read cuts down on my missing the point of a thread.

But I still make mistakes, misunderstand what I read. To others it may seems my reading comprehension is lacking at times. It’s not, I was reading at an adult level by the time I started the 5th grade.

As a side note… I’m partially dyslexic which is far more pronounced when I’m extremely tired. You folks should read your posts through my eyes sometimes, absolutely hysterical! Example… The thread titled “Pope Endorces Same Sex Unions”. When I’m exhausted my mind always sees it as “Pope Encores Sex Shamed Unicorns”. I sit here and laugh my butt off sometimes… View attachment 56239
Sidenote: for dyslexia, have you ever tried using the tinted screens? Different eyes filter light differently. There are rose, blue, green, amber, gray, etc. little plastic films (or tinted eye-glasses actually) so you go through and set each over a book page. When you see the color that works for your eyes, you "know" it. I don't care for the color pink, but wow I can see through the shade. I am not dyslexic but when I went through that test so I could help children with it, I was flabbergasted by the difference it made.

Reading has always been easy for me. I read fast and comprehend what I read. I read The Hunt for Red October in about 8 hours. Occasionally I have to correct something I've written because after some reflection it does not say what I mean or how I meant to say it.
I occasionally have difficulty understanding some of the posts here but for the most part, I can figure out.
My MIL had very little education and she spelled words like they sound. It was interesting to read her letters. I would let the other guys read them and try to decipher what she said.

I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to reading, very few books have captivated my attention to the end. I read a bunch, but just short versions of things.

I have probably missed out on some good reads because I didn't keep trying.

Things I do maintain an interest in reading are the Constitution, The Federalist Papers, The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Dictionary, yup the dictionary because it has all the other books in it. I do like some history books if they are kept in short broken up sections.

I have no idea why I can't sit down with a book and read it through. I had a tough time in school when we were assigned a book to read and then do a book report.

You should try an encyclopedia. I spent a lot of time reading those when I got to high-school. Those and Greek mythology seemed to be all the school library had. Read all they had. There wasn't a town library.

Two hours twice a day bouncing around on the school bus teaches concentration and focus when reading. That and trying to tune out the non readers. The dictionary game can be quite entertaining as well.

Last edited:
It doesn’t really matter what you read, encyclopedias, PAW fiction, historical fiction or non fiction, comic books, sports magazines and on and on as long as you read. Whether you read a book a day fast (which can be a curse) or a book a week or longer slow it just doesn’t matter as long as you read. When I read I am constantly looking up new words, thoughts, ideas, and technological innovations in the dictionary or on the internet that are mentioned in whatever it is I am reading. One of the major benefits of reading across a wide range is that aside from learning something new it keeps your mind flexible and more readily able to adapt to any changes that happen in your life and that can mean your own basic survival.

You should try an encyclopedia. I spent a lot of time reading those when I got to high-school. Those and Greek mythology seemed to be all the school library had. Read all they had. There wasn't a town library.

Two hours twice a day bouncing around on the school bus teaches concentration and focus when reading. That and trying to tune out the non readers. The dictionary game can be quite entertaining as well.

Dad bought the whole encyclopedia Britannica set when I was 9 or so. I think I read thru everyone of them. Was constantly looking up stuff for school.

When I read I am constantly looking up new words, thoughts, ideas, and technological innovations in the dictionary or on the internet that are mentioned in whatever it is I am reading. One of the major benefits of reading across a wide range is that aside from learning something new it keeps your mind flexible and more readily able to adapt to any changes that happen in your life and that can mean your own basic survival.

That is exactly what I do.

It doesn’t really matter what you read, encyclopedias, PAW fiction, historical fiction or non fiction, comic books, sports magazines and on and on as long as you read. Whether you read a book a day fast (which can be a curse) or a book a week or longer slow it just doesn’t matter as long as you read. When I read I am constantly looking up new words, thoughts, ideas, and technological innovations in the dictionary or on the internet that are mentioned in whatever it is I am reading. One of the major benefits of reading across a wide range is that aside from learning something new it keeps your mind flexible and more readily able to adapt to any changes that happen in your life and that can mean your own basic survival.
Oh heck!
I'm in trouble then.
I sometimes have to look things up to get the right definition on some posts now.

Latest posts

Back