Ready to make the move to homesteading

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We bought some land and I'm ready to become a country boy, LOL. Right now, it's just a pine plantation with a couple of campers on it.
My goals for the next year are to have a small cabin, some crops (3 acres or so) and some livestock (probably hair sheep and chickens)

There is a bored 78' well with good water (REALLY good water). At the moment I have to cart a generator to it to run the pump. Since it is a bored well I can take off the cap and drop a bucket into it if I have to.
No septic system yet but I have had one designed and the perc test done. I don't want to put that in until we finalize the plans for the cabin.
No mains power I'm using solar and a propane generator when staying there. I wanted to keep it off grid but the wife insists on getting power lines run to it.
Don't have a tractor yet. Looking at a 24 HP with loader. I'll probably need a box scraper, bush hog, and either disks or cultivator.

I have been approved for a habitat program in the pine plantation. I left out a 3 acre area from the plan that I plan to clearcut some time this year or next when we thin the pines. There is about 3 acres cleared already from when the previous owner was going to build a house, but never did.

The land is 500 miles from home, so I have to plan my trips up there. I usually get up there about once a month and spend a week or so.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to ask a question, LOL.

Where do I start?? So much to do, so little time...

Hey Dr Henley, welcome. Sounds like you are already off to a good start. Water is the #1 issue in my mind. Solar well pumping would be a great alternative for you.
I would also plan out and start planting on going fruits and veggies. Apple, pear, cherries, peaches depending on you area, grapes, blueberries, berries of all kinds for that matter, Asparagus, rhubarb, artichokes. Plant them to get started cause some take a year or more to start producing.
After you plan your cabin put in what outbuildings you want. Raised beds for annual gardens if you don't want to do in ground. If you are doing in ground, start amending the soil. So many things to accomplish. Best of luck

Re: Water
The well has a 220 v pump on it. I could get a 220 v split phase inverter, and run it off panels (I have the panels and a suitable LiFePO4 battery already), but the split phase inverters are EXPENSIVE.
The well has a pitless adapter, but that currently goes to an above ground well faucet right next to the well. I have 150 feet of potable water hose that I use to connect the well to the camper. The cabin will be much closer to the well.

Last fall I had the water professionally tested directly from the well pump faucet. Chemical analysis was perfect. (the water tastes GREAT!) Microbial analysis showed some coliform bacteria (no fecal coliform through) but they said that was normal for a well that has been sitting unused for a few years. I shocked the well and the fresh water system on the camper, and ran four coliform tests:
At the well
At the end of the potable water hose
Coming out of the filter
From the kitchen faucet in the camper (the only faucet I would use for drinking water)

All came back negative.

The water from the pump does occasionally have a lot of sediment which clogs up the filters pretty quickly. Previously I had to backflush the filters every few minutes when pumping water from the well to the camper. But I now have a spin down filter which I will use next time I fill up the tank on the camper.

Welcome, and congratulations on your new life. Water is a good start, but my own advice is to don't set all your garden plans in stone. You might like to live there a while to get to know the place. Saying that, put your trees in as soon as you can. Just not anywhere you might want to dig for pipe in a years time! Best of luck!

:welcome: as it sounds like You 🐝 heading in the Right Direction...!!!

Where is that Paradise Located...?!? ☃️

👻👻

:blue truck::camping: no :cop::great:
Southern Virginia. Appalachian foothills basically. Lots of ridges and hollows.
Oh, and a river runs though it...😊
We have several acres of flooded land at the upper end of a hydroelectric reservoir. The reservoir turns back into a river right at our property line and there are some backwater areas on our land. No fish consumption advisories, so we can eat all the fish we catch from the basically chemical free water. (nothing but forests upstream) Below the dam you can only eat one fish a month.
Red line is property line.
RiverRunsThroughIt.jpg

Sounds like you also need a boat! And a fishing pole. :)

As a fellow “homesteader” my advice is to spend all four seasons learning the property before making any hard to change plans. Make a plan and then execute it.

I am a Virginian expat from the Appalachian region. I take it your place is in the Piedmont region near the foothills of the Appalachians?

Greetings from west of Lake Superior...
...Where to start... ?? Start small.. Build a mountain of small accomplishments rather than burn out of trying to complete everything at once.. Most importantly, enjoy making these accomplishments..

We bought some land and I'm ready to become a country boy, LOL. Right now, it's just a pine plantation with a couple of campers on it.
My goals for the next year are to have a small cabin, some crops (3 acres or so) and some livestock (probably hair sheep and chickens)

There is a bored 78' well with good water (REALLY good water). At the moment I have to cart a generator to it to run the pump. Since it is a bored well I can take off the cap and drop a bucket into it if I have to.
No septic system yet but I have had one designed and the perc test done. I don't want to put that in until we finalize the plans for the cabin.
No mains power I'm using solar and a propane generator when staying there. I wanted to keep it off grid but the wife insists on getting power lines run to it.
Don't have a tractor yet. Looking at a 24 HP with loader. I'll probably need a box scraper, bush hog, and either disks or cultivator.

I have been approved for a habitat program in the pine plantation. I left out a 3 acre area from the plan that I plan to clearcut some time this year or next when we thin the pines. There is about 3 acres cleared already from when the previous owner was going to build a house, but never did.

The land is 500 miles from home, so I have to plan my trips up there. I usually get up there about once a month and spend a week or so.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to ask a question, LOL.

Where do I start?? So much to do, so little time...
Fruit and nut trees can take 7 years or more to produce. Plant them yesterday!

Ben

Last edited:
Sounds like you also need a boat! And a fishing pole. :)

As a fellow “homesteader” my advice is to spend all four seasons learning the property before making any hard to change plans. Make a plan and then execute it.

I am a Virginian expat from the Appalachian region. I take it your place is in the Piedmont region near the foothills of the Appalachians?
As it just so happens we bought it a year ago and I have experienced all four seasons. Just waiting until my wife can retire. We thought that would happen last year.

Got a fishing kayak last year. There are some places (like in the picture for instance) that you can only get to by boat.

Yes I believe it is in the Piedmont. But so is where I live in Georgia. Pretty different.

exciting times for sure and congrats on the new life plans.
i agree with others--water, well pump is # 1 for me when i got my place. i added a hand pump called Simple Pump. they have a solar option too, and had my water tested. it is pretty decent but i alwasy use a big berkey to filter everything i use. also if you decide to get a hand pump--i seem to recall there is a standard suggestion of how long a pipe to install, i think 9 ft past static ldevel--i added another 9ft of pipe in case of water level changes over the years .

kinda of exciting to start the plans and begin it all. wish you all the best!

Welcome!

I second the idea of a Simple Pump. I understand that the Simple Pump can be used to fill a pressure tank. Where is the static level of your well? I understand that your water pickup should be at least 10’ above the bottom of your well to allow for sediment.

First- good to see you 😁
Second- congratulations 🎉
Third- why does Mrs want power lines if she can have power without them (like a cordless mouse bs a corded one)?
Forth- after cabin, is there an appropriate spot for a root cellar?
I asked her that question. Who wouldn't want no power bills? But I'm the one who pays the power bill at home, so she doesn't understand.

There is a GREAT spot for a root cellar. No issues with ground water. The company that did the perc test could not find the water table. (it's high ground)

I just want to see more pictures of this beautiful place. We also have a sister forum called

www.plumbingforums.com

We have a few experts on that site and can help you out with sediment, pumps and cycle stop valves.
A couple of pictures taken right at the camp.
Count the bucks...Look closely
FiveBucksEnhanced.png

Gobbler
Gobbler.jpg

This is the camera that took those pictures!
CampCamera.jpg

The trees in the background are on an island. The property line is the banks of the river channel on the far side of the island. All that water is on our property. BTW, the plants you see on the near bank are river oats.
Aerial-7.png

We have a beach! The water is the river channel.
Beach2.jpg

Southern Virginia. Appalachian foothills basically. Lots of ridges and hollows.
Oh, and a river runs though it...😊
We have several acres of flooded land at the upper end of a hydroelectric reservoir. The reservoir turns back into a river right at our property line and there are some backwater areas on our land. No fish consumption advisories, so we can eat all the fish we catch from the basically chemical free water. (nothing but forests upstream) Below the dam you can only eat one fish a month.
Red line is property line.
View attachment 129599
Hi Neighbor
Morgan County Wva.

Do you have trout in that water? I recall catching trout in many of the rivers in VA.

Chiggers and ticks. I bet you have them. Something I no longer have to deal with up here.

You have an ideal spread. With all them trees, I’d be wanting an Alaskan sawmill setup to produce lumber. What types of hardwood do you have mixed in with the pine?

Sounds like you have things well in hand, agree on the simple pump, And when you get a tractor, if you get one with a loader make sure it has a easily used quick attach so you can take it off when it is not needed.

Back