Recipes for Homemade Condiments

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This condiment thread has been on my mind for a while, but while on Pinterest, this recipe for ketchup came up.

Do any of you make your own condiments? I know that Sentry made his own mayonnaise. But what about ketchup, mustard, hot sauce recipes?

The important thing now would be to make sure we have enough of the spices in our prepper pantry now.

Old fashioned ketchup.jpg

My friends & I used to make salsa in a blender or food processor, using fresh hot peppers and vine-ripened tomatoes, plus a little fresh onion... this is a good way to use really hot peppers like Habaneros, Ghost Peppers, etc. Find the right setting on the blender to mix things up without making the salsa too fine... the idea is to evenly spread the really hot peppers throughout the mix. A dash of fresh lemon or lime juice can add flavor, along with some fresh cilantro. You can also spice up guacamole by shaving hot peppers with a sharp knife or grater and adding those bits to the avocado mix... cilantro works well too if ya happen to like it, which I do. Nothing like using fresh ingredients for maximum flavor! Chock full of enzymes too, which are heller good for you! And with hot peppers as a base, such salsa keeps well in the fridge, just be sure to minimize oxidation by correctly storing leftover foods. Even in Tupperware containers, I use plastic wrap right down on the surface of all leftover foods to minimize oxidation and prolong the "fridge life" of that food. Cheers! :cool:

Homemade Mustard

3 cups white vinegar

3 cups apple cider vinegar

4 cups mustard powder

4 teaspoons garlic powder

4 teaspoons salt

4 teaspoons tumeric

2 teaspoons paprika

4 tablespoons sugar

Whisk all ingredients together in a con reactive pan. Heat on medium (gentle boil) until thickened to your liking. Pour into jars, leaving ½ to ¼ inch headspace, seal with lids.

Process in water canner for 15 minutes.

Google ...homemade condiment recipes... and this was first on the list.. I imagine there are many recipes available..

When my kids were small we made a sauce we called ...Korean catsup... We used it over rice, as a marinade for beef or chicken, and in most any way you would use a BBQ sauce..

Korean Catsup.....

1 cup catsup
1 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
1/2 c sugar
chopped green onion
toasted sesame oil
toasted sesame seeds
black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder

Mix well, nuke on high 1 minute, let cool as it will be molten lava hot..

BBQ sauce:
1 cup of maple syrup.
1 cup of tomato puree.
1/8 th cup of mustard.
1/8th cup of Texas Pete or Louisiana hot sauce.
1/8th cup of white vinegar.
1/8th cup of minced garlic.
1 generous shot of bourbon.
Mix well in a double boiler until thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 10 tomatoes now. Not enough to set up the canner, etc., so I am thinking of making salsa instead. Anyone want to share their salsa recipe?

Everyday Pico de Gallo

5 tomatoes, cored, halved horizontally and seeded, chopped
about 1/3 c onion, chopped (red or white, whatever you like, taste and adjust for amount of onion “bite”)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 jalapeños, minced, seeds and membranes removed if you prefer it milder
fistful of cilantro, minced (adjust to taste)
juice of two limes
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to let the flavors combine. Spoon over your tacos and enjoy life.

Everyday Pico de Gallo

5 tomatoes, cored, halved horizontally and seeded, chopped
about 1/3 c onion, chopped (red or white, whatever you like, taste and adjust for amount of onion “bite”)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 jalapeños, minced, seeds and membranes removed if you prefer it milder
fistful of cilantro, minced (adjust to taste)
juice of two limes
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to let the flavors combine. Spoon over your tacos and enjoy life.
Thank you!

BBQ sauce:
1 cup of maple syrup.
1 cup of tomato puree.
1/8 th cup of mustard.
1/8th cup of Texas Pete or Louisiana hot sauce.
1/8th cup of white vinegar.
1/8th cup of minced garlic.
1 generous shot of bourbon.
Mix well in a double boiler until thick.
This sounds good. I won't add the bourbon because I don't have any, but the rest I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a flavor pack from beef ramen? same thing.
Just like the comment in the great tater thread, that packet hits the trash can due to the migraine potential. I make my own seasonings, but haven't eaten any ramen probably for a couple decades. I am not opposed to ramen, especially in food storage.

I make tarter sauce with jalapeño

I make my own butter
Do you make your own butter from fresh cream? Or do you buy whipping cream and make it? It was always fun to put cream in a jar and pass it around the circle where children were sitting and give each one a chance to shake it up.

Do you make your own butter from fresh cream? Or do you buy whipping cream and make it? It was always fun to put cream in a jar and pass it around the circle where children were sitting and give each one a chance to shake it up.
I buy cream and shake it

=== ===
Will have to try this....

I take half a can of cranberry sauce and mix in a pinch of cayenne pepper.. Rest of the family never cared for it, but it livens up a baked bird dinner nicely..

=== ===
Will have to try this....

I take half a can of cranberry sauce and mix in a pinch of cayenne pepper.. Rest of the family never cared for it, but it livens up a baked bird dinner nicely..
I first had it at a the Catfish Parlor in Texas

Latest posts

Back