Reducing Electricity Usage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought 2 new airconditioners this summer. It dropped our usage quite a bit this summer. Central air rarely came on.

Not looking forward to heating the house this year as the heat is electric too.
Never underestimate what a new appliance can do. I'm on a "budget" plan with my electric supplier. The monthly payment was $74 and went down to $63 one year. The difference was a new refrigerator and a new TV on the appliance front and switching two of the lamps I use most to LED bulbs.

In my case turning off the main breaker is the only thing that will work.

My July bill was 245.00, August 235.00, September dropped to 68.00 A/C being the culprit in July and August.

20% humidity in the summer, shade trees and ceiling fans. Summers are nice in montana. Lots of trees to burn in the winter for heat.
For the few really hot days we have a small air conditioner in a small bedroom for sleeping.
May as well get ready for interruptions of power or lack of power for longer terms. Gas or propane generator will not be the solution long term either.
We have a small apartment I made into our house to help with the utility bills and mortgage, spread the cost.

We have had a gas stove for the last 25 years, no clothes dryer, AC set to 79 in summer, heat to 68 in winter.
We have not a lot of electric gizmos to burn power other than the wifi modem and a few lights. We don't even watch TV.
My wife's one luxury is a dishwasher, we bought it just a few months ago. Shes 76, she has earned it.

Fireplace for heat or woodstove. No Dryer for clothes (going to get a propane dryer as more efficient for the cold wet days that hanging is not a good option). Propane or Woodstove for cooking. Turn off lights when not used. Gravity fed water that is filled by solar pump during the day. Full basement finished nice to hang out in on hot days.

Latest posts

Back