Removing smells from jars/containers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Pearl, have neither labels here, but will track down the equivalent.
Actually I think Daz is the same as Tide here. I use an egg thing for washing, or an organic liquid because the water goes to a barrel to be dispersed or used, rather than filling the septic tank; so I'm not sure about washing powders!

I repurpose plastic often and use vinegar on the smell. Might take more than one cycle of soaking, takes a few days sometimes. Vinegar is slow but does work given enough time.

Patch and Pearl gave me an idea... Why not use some herbs in the vinegar to kill bacteria? Have to think on this a bit... some herbs would stain plastic. Can't have that... yep, more thought required..

Not sure if vinegar is part of the issue w/ the ketchup as tomatoes and vinegar are both acidic. I would think wet the inside and dowse with baking soda. I don't typically reuse plastic containers like that so you might want to disregard my opinion though 🥴

I really can't help, most of the leftovers/storage here is in glass jars with lids and rings. Lori likes the "tupperware", I like the ball/mason jars. By edict, I am not allowed to touch the tupperware :p By attrition I am slowly winning, the plastic gets weird faster, but is easier to sorta clean.

I much prefer glass also, but I always try and get a few reuses out of plastic before they get recycled. Will try a few things. So far, two washes, hot water and two weeks, and still smells. It may end up storing something outside.
The Princess uses baking soda at lets soak for days to recover pickle buckets.

Ben

Not sure if vinegar is part of the issue w/ the ketchup as tomatoes and vinegar are both acidic. I would think wet the inside and dowse with baking soda. I don't typically reuse plastic containers like that so you might want to disregard my opinion though 🥴
That's a smart idea!!😉

So far, two washes, hot water and two weeks, and still smells. It may end up storing something outside.
My Mrs. bought some plastic tubs a month ago. Storage tubs, not kitchen type. After a month of airing them out, they still stink. I'll use them outside or just throw them away. They cannot be used for anything.

I’ve found that the best odor mitigation involves a combination of vinegar and baking soda. Let it soak. Plastic is somewhat porous so that is the source of the odor staying. I wonder if starting with hot water would help open up the cells?

I wonder if setting it out in the sun would help, or make it worse?

I’ve found that the best odor mitigation involves a combination of vinegar and baking soda. Let it soak. Plastic is somewhat porous so that is the source of the odor staying. I wonder if starting with hot water would help open up the cells?

I wonder if setting it out in the sun would help, or make it worse?
The sun is a GREAT thing! That might be all it takes!! Vinegar will not work alone against other acids! So besides my originals, baking soda and the sun!!

Plastic is porous. Whatever answer you come up with it won’t be immediate. I tried to cure a 5 gallon (19L) pickle bucket. I finally gave up. After sitting outside for a few months it was fine. Don’t be in a hurry, you’ll just get frustrated. Plastic is so porous that if you remove the oxygen from inside a bucket the oxygen from outside will find its way inside. You’re not cleaning the inside surface of the bucket you’re cleaning half way through the bucket wall.

Fresh air, sun, someplace where it warms and cools, baking soda for a week or two. These things MIGHT speed the process. If you have a spot under an eve where you can set it and get a steady water change from time to time, then check it every month or two.

I've used hot, soapy, bleach water and let the jar sit a day or two in the sun.. Also white vinegar in the same situation as bleach.. One or the other or both seemed to clean up most any jar I had to deal with..

The ground up charcoal and or brewing bottle cleaner sound like good ideas to keep in mind..

Little experience with plastics..

Update- I did vinegar and bread soda, then left it to dry for a day in the sun on the window sill. Definitely better. Like Caribou says, time is the key. I'd say in a week or two it will be fine. he takeaway from this is plastic needs a month at least, depending on the sun, with a few good hot washes.

Latest posts

Back