Repair or replace tankless

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBob

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So this past winter,it must have got cold enough outside to freeze the water coming in to my tankless. (It's right above the incoming line in the utility room.)

I came home to water everywhere. I pulled it and put another one up, and this day until today, when I pulled the cover.
Sure enough, a pipe cracked. Should I solder it up and keep it as a spare? Junk it?
1000007313.jpg

So this past winter,it must have got cold enough outside to freeze the water coming in to my tankless. (It's right above the incoming line in the utility room.)

I came home to water everywhere. I pulled it and put another one up, and this day until today, when I pulled the cover.
Sure enough, a pipe cracked. Should I solder it up and keep it as a spare? Junk it?
View attachment 152907
If the new one is in the same location as the old one, you should definitely solder it up and keep it as a spare. :)
I thought those things were expensive?
If you toss it, you may end up buying a new one every year.:(
...And send more money to Al Gore to get his 'global warming' perking!:LOL:

If the new one is in the same location as the old one, you should definitely solder it up and keep it as a spare. :)
I thought those things were expensive?
If you toss it, you may end up buying a new one every year.:(
...And send more money to Al Gore to get his 'global warming' perking!:LOL:
They can be. But these were both around $100. The only difference between them is one used D cells for ignition and the new one uses ac for ignition.

Looks like a pretty simple repair, I think I will keep it, either for a spare, or the outdoor kitchen I'm planning.

They can be. But these were both around $100. The only difference between them is one used D cells for ignition and the new one uses ac for ignition.

Looks like a pretty simple repair, I think I will keep it, either for a spare, or the outdoor kitchen I'm planning.
Oh, I thought they were the electric ones.
Those usually run $250+.

Oh, I thought they were the electric ones.
Those usually run $250+.
Yeah, limiting electric appliances for now.
Off-grid with 3200w solar, and 48v 40ah bank (2 48v 200ah bats) and 1000 gal propane tank.
Propane water and oven..couple more batteries it won't matter.
I will eventually do away with propane.

I'm not sure anything flexible would work since it's open burner...I think the copper pipe will be ok if I solder it up
The solder will work but replacing the part now, when spare parts are available, is better as you have a weak spot. Definitely keep it if for spare parts only.

The solder will work but replacing the part now, when spare parts are available, is better as you have a weak spot. Definitely keep it if for spare parts only.
Every thing is soldered in there, so I can solder the crack, or id have a lot more work.
I'm not sure it would be cost effective to replace the tubes and core.

Every thing is soldered in there, so I can solder the crack, or id have a lot more work.
I'm not sure it would be cost effective to replace the tubes and core.
Is the core damaged or just the fitting? When you solder the split you only have the edges soldered together. When you solder a fitting you have about half an inch overlap all the way around the fitting to solder, it is much stronger. Still, you have an immediate replacement if you have future problems.

Core appears to be fine. I put some jbweld aqua seal on it just to fill it with water and check. That was the only leak I saw
I expect the JB Weld to work better for you than solder.

Latest posts

Back