Respect or civility?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
You read/hear all the time how people expect respect from others. But once again our public school system and parents have failed to properly teach vocabulary lessons.

Every person deserves to be treated with civility up until such a time they need to be told off.

Respect is something that is earned by the actions of the person.

You can live in a mansion, leaching off your parents and there is a man living in a shack, working hard every day to support his family and I will respect the man in the shack 100 times more than the guy in the mansion.

I can respect the homeless person out picking up aluminum cans than a welfare leach.

Just another example of how the misuse of a word can change a society.

You don't DESERVE respect until you do something to earn it. Getting a job and supporting yourself would be a good start.

/rant

For the most part I agree with you, but part 2 of the definition of respect (as a noun) is almost a synonym of civility. The English language is very imprecise compared to most others. It doesn't help that dictionaries will change the meanings of words with the tide of political correctness.

I can be civil to someone just because I don't want to make waves, but it doesn't mean I agree with them or respect them. It just means I don't want to be uncivil towards them. Respect does need to be earned.
Just had this talk with grandson. He has some pretty whacko teachers right now in middle school. Some I do not agree with at all. Some who should not be teaching children. But, he does attend the school, and he is in the class. He can be rude and disruptive. We tell him to be respectful in class. Not to be disruptive. Be courteous. Even if he does not respect the teaching going on.
It is possible to have no respect for the person, but respect for the position. I don't have respect for Trump as a husband/father, but I do have respect for the office he holds.

In the military you respect the uniform but not necessarily the man in it.

For the most part I agree with you, but part 2 of the definition of respect (as a noun) is almost a synonym of civility. The English language is very imprecise compared to most others. It doesn't help that dictionaries will change the meanings of words with the tide of political correctness.

Pop dictionaries can debase the language for sure. The editors are too lazy to even attempt to show shades-of-meaning. Respect and civility are not close enough in meaning to be considered synonyms, and many words that are commonly given as synonyms for each other have differing shades of meaning; they are just "close enough".

This quote fits in here perfectly...

“The brotherhood of men does not imply their equality. Families have their fools and their men of genius, their black sheep and their saints, their worldly successes and their worldly failures. A man should treat his brothers lovingly and with justice, according to the deserts of each. But the deserts of every brother are not the same.”

― Aldous Huxley

This quote fits in here perfectly...

“The brotherhood of men does not imply their equality. Families have their fools and their men of genius, their black sheep and their saints, their worldly successes and their worldly failures. A man should treat his brothers lovingly and with justice, according to the deserts of each. But the deserts of every brother are not the same.”

― Aldous Huxley

Yeah. The term 'just deserts' begs the question though, of how they are determined.

Latest posts

Back