Rhubarb

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chop up rhubarb and freeze it as well. I don't know where to find it off season. Can you buy it frozen from grocery stores?
Never seen rhubarb except in season and fresh, in a grocery store. A friend of mine cans it but I have no idea how she uses it. I knew a small farmer that would sell rhubarb, to the local grocery stores, as one of his crops. I gave my neighbor a couple of starts.

we only have 1 rhubarb plant left, the other ones were small and died. I like it, used to eat it raw dipped in sugar when I was a kid. We sell pretty much all we take to the market since it is not available in any store probably. I make cake out of it, or other desserts

Love, love rhubarb in sweet baked goods, jams and the like..
We had several small patches of rhubarb when I lived in ..bush.. The best growing bunch was next to the outhouse by the barn... Wonder why ??

Trivia...
If you boil rhubarb leaves, strain through multiple layers of old T shirt, you will get a deep forest green slurry.. Let it settle a day or 2 and it will settle out to a brilliant emerald green liquid.. Mix half with water and a few drops of liquid dish soap to make a homemade bug spray for the garden.. I made and used it.. But I can't say if it made an obvious difference.. It definitely didn't hurt anything..

Rhubarb Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
In a small saucepan, combine the chopped rhubarb, granulated sugar, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is soft and the mixture has thickened, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Fold in the cooked rhubarb mixture and chopped nuts, if using.
Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving space between each cookie.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden brown around the edges.
Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes per batch | Total Time: 30-35 minutes | Servings: Makes about 24 cookies | Kcal: Dependent on ingredients and serving

Latest posts

Back