Rise And Fall Of The Mall.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been in the works a long time before the pandemic hit.
Blame it on Covid mania if you want.
Try on clothes before you buy them, great! If you have a part-number, why not online?
Go to "Tha-Mall" to socialize or hang out? That is what it was all for.
Every turd is staring at their stupid-phone anyway. :rolleyes:
Nobody home.

This has been in the works a long time before the pandemic hit.
Blame it on Covid mania if you want.
Try on clothes before you buy them, great! If you have a part-number, why not online?
Go to "Tha-Mall" to socialize or hang out? That is what it was all for.
Every turd is staring at their stupid-phone anyway. :rolleyes:
Nobody home.

Correct the malls have been going away for awhile now. I don't think they are blaming the virus though. Just put up another subject besides all the same old things going on .

My parents used the mall to get their walking done and I think a lot of older people did too.
I didn't use the mall to socialize, I'm too anti-social for that. I worked at one for a couple of years. Friday nights always saw lots of kids hanging out, my community was safe enough. There was a movie theater there too. I don't recall anything super bad ever happening at ours.
Ya know, back in the day, I rarely ordered things online and still don't order much online except herbs and books. I really don't like ordering clothing online.
Parking lots are sketchy places anywhere.
So what are they going to do with these empty malls?

Climate-controlled storage.
The Mrs pays $200 per month for a 16x24, and will for years.
Guaranteed income!

My parents used the mall to get their walking done and I think a lot of older people did too.
I didn't use the mall to socialize, I'm too anti-social for that. I worked at one for a couple of years. Friday nights always saw lots of kids hanging out, my community was safe enough. There was a movie theater there too. I don't recall anything super bad ever happening at ours.
Ya know, back in the day, I rarely ordered things online and still don't order much online except herbs and books. I really don't like ordering clothing online.
Parking lots are sketchy places anywhere.

Some are turning into office buildings and even little cities.

A few malls have been turned into assisted living condos.
Another big money-maker!
When a 20'x40' apartment brings in $60,000 per year, it makes stocking a thousand t-shirts in the hopes of selling 2 per day at $35 as silly as it actually is.
There is no shortage of rich old people.

The mall in Walla Walla is filling up with stores - and they are not discount stores.
Walla Walla is also filling up with Californians... not the best of news.

Nobody wants to move here :cry: .

Don't worry soon as they get through with us they will.

Their neighbor home of the demon freaks.

https://www.weforum.org/focus/davos-2019
Use ear plugs, wrap youself in strands garlic and have an exorcist close by before watching these demons ,Home of the world economic forum, maybe there is something to us blue eyed devils.:ghostly::devil:

I edited it removed the video.

Last edited:
Stripers nobody really wants to see but everyone wants to forget they seen em. :ghostly::cry:🤔💀👺👿

The mall here is just about dead, like the rest of the retail in town, thanks to Walmart. Pennys just went under and they were the anchor store. The mall in the larger town is close to closing also. Businesses like J.C. Pennys and Sears were the big anchor stores in a lot of malls and they failed to stay current so they are closing and taking the malls with them.
The local mall has a very large corner storefront for the Department of Licensing.
That space would cost a fortune back in the day.
I can remember when the malls were the place to go for Christmas shopping. Now I never leave my recliner to shop.
The last time I went to a mall was when we took our Granddaughter there.
She went into almost every store to look and try on stuff. I just wanted to go to the food court. It took hours and cost me a bundle but she's my only Granddaughter so it was worth it.

I haven't been inside a mall in years. (BTW, that video posted above was from 2014...)
I have been inside a couple of the big anchor stores that are in malls, but I always used the outside entrances.
Heck, the last time I went to DSW in the mall was to pick up shoes the Mrs. bought online, lol.

Malls used to be important to me in my younger life, but since the advent of the Internet with prices no mall store with outrageous overhead costs could compete with, I no longer see the convenience in "one stop shopping", especially since 99% of the stores in malls carry nothing I'm remotely interested in.

Seriously, $15 Tee Shirts? $10 a pair socks? No thank you very much.

And the cacophony of sounds and smells just trying to get to where I wanted to be?
I can't even get past the centrally located cosmetics departments in some stores without instantly getting a low grade headache from all the perfume in the air.

Maybe this should have gone in the ranting thread?

Where was I going with this?
Oh yeah, I guess what I was trying to say is I really have no use for malls these days...

Can you imagine, a lot of people are ditching California and have been for years. No state is immune from it, @Supervisor42 . Maybe your state is next.
This is thread derailment...I know people in Montana who say the Californians have been moving there and it drives the cost of real estate up.
The malls in this area I will not go to anymore. The flash mob violence is unpredictable and there have been too many close calls of abductions on parking lots on these particular malls. There is one mall I went to last summer and I didn't feel like it was a good place to be. The others are much worse. There was a fatal shooting at one (domestic violence) last spring. My friend walked past it within minutes after it happened and didn't realize what she was seeing. She thought the woman was resting in her truck. Even though there may have been a bullet hole in the window.

I know the mall in Walla Walla is growing but I don't go often so I don't know how popular it is. I do know it sat uncompleted for years before they finished it last year.

Some malls in central Iowa are struggling, some are doing pretty well. The city of Ames has one. It nearly went under but the owners spent millions to revitalize it and got a luxury theater, TJ Maxx, and Planet Fitness to come in. Then a bunch of funky little shops that appealed to the University students followed.

Jordan Creek in Des Moines is full of expensive crap that nobody wants, but all the young people go there. If it wasn't for the Scheel's sporting goods store I'd probably never set foot in the place.

The other 3 malls in Des Moines seem to struggle though. All the millennials are too lazy to go to the stores to shop, I guess...

Latest posts

Back