Rocket stoves

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have any of you built a rocket stove out of cinderblocks or something like that?

I've seen some youtubes about this stuff, and it fascinates me. I may be moving near year end to property my folks own, so I could try it there. Here I cannot try it.

Hoping to hear from someone that's tried it.

Here is a youtube about a 4 cinder block version.... I think I'd start with this type.

Have any of you built a rocket stove out of cinderblocks or something like that?

I've seen some youtubes about this stuff, and it fascinates me. I may be moving near year end to property my folks own, so I could try it there. Here I cannot try it.

Hoping to hear from someone that's tried it.

Here is a youtube about a 4 cinder block version.... I think I'd start with this type.

I made this exact same one and it works well esp. if you can get a solid top grate to rest the pot on so the heat can escape out and around.

I got my bricks from a local brick yard and they used a special block saw to cut the end off one of the blocks to make the burn chamber.

All up with the blocks and the cutting cost me $45 AUD.

I also use my twig stove inside the "C" of the cut block it so the block will take the weight of a larger pot. I just remove the top block..

That's great @Tank-Girl What do you cook on it?

Anything you'd cook on a stove top.

You have to watch the amount of heat because you can't turn a knob to dial back the temp.
I have portable elect. cook top, a lpg cook top, the rocket stove and the twig stove.
And in a pinch I and set three large rocks on a triangle pattern and balance a pot on top of them
like a lot of Indian YT channels do.
You want to see fantastic cooking done under extremely primitive conditions watch some of the Indian village
cooking YT's.
It's eye opening what can be achieved.

I like redundancy.

They make these same cinder blocks with the web cut half way through. A sharp whack with a hammer will knock half a web out. Knocking just one of these out will give you the channel that you are looking for. they are made for adding rebar into a cinder block wall but one of these would be helpful for your design.

Latest posts

Back