root vegetables

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
anybody have a recipe for braised root veggies ? i seem to have lost mine.

Any good recipes for beets?

Baked Beets (these take a while, use smaller beets for faster results)
Just leave on 1 inch roots & stems. Bake in oven on a cookie sheet in case they bleed. When soft, squeeze off skins and butter and eat. Much sweeter than boiled beets.
If you don't plan to bake them as long it helps to pre-boil them in their skins first, then bake.

Beet Slaw
Shred raw beets (messy, but necessary)
Mix with Miracle Whip or Mayo or whatever dressing you use with coleslaw. You get a pink beet-slaw! They are good raw.
I even put raw wedges on the salad plate with carrot sticks and celery. If you like lots of crunch, they will be a favorite.

Scalloped Beets
Peel & slice beets thin. Lay in shallow pan with alternate layers of thinly sliced onions. Pour water in enough to just cover beets. Cover and bake. They will not 'suck up' the liquid, but will steam nicely with whatever else you have in the oven.

Canned (or pre cooked) Beets
Combine drained beets with sour cream. Again, you get a pink dish, but this one is savory, not salad-y.

If you like pickled beets, save the juice and re-use to pickle boiled eggs. Just insert shelled eggs, let sit in refrigerator. The longer they sit the more pickled they taste. Pretty according to some, just weird to beet-haters.

Beet juice (from canned beets) can be used to make jelly, wine, or just a warm drink. Melt a little butter in the beet broth.

I like to make my pickled beets from diced beets - the texture is easier to handle with a spoon for serving. Mix with cottage cheese (yep, I'm weird.)

I'll go look up my beet recipe selection - I have LOTS of beet recipes.

https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2014/01/02/simple-braised-root-veggies/

I love to fry turnips...slice very thin, brown in iron skillet with butter on both sides till you have a good stack, sprinkle with a little brown sugar, put lid on and let them glaze..Mmmmmmmmm

If you like ommeletts try turnips and onions ommelett 'spell' . Ham and cheese has nothing on this one.
My favorite, just saute turnips and onions or just turnips if you don't like onions in olive oil or whatever, add butter and pour in eggs, so good.

More beet recipes:

TERIYAKI BEETS
12 small unpeeled beets
4 TB butter
2 TB honey
1 TB minced fresh ginger (if you have it, if not used 1 tsp dry powder)
1 TB soy sauce
Boil or steam beets until nearly tender. Rinse them in cold water & peel; cut in halves. Combine remaining ingredeitnts in a saucepan and heat until everything melts together 9a stir helps). Brush some of this over the beets and broil 5-10 min. until tender (this works on a grill, too). Baste often; serve with remaining sauce.

LEMON GARLIC ROASTED BEETS
1 pound beets, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (don't wear white, this is messy)
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 TB plus 1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (any oil will do, but the flavor is better with the extra virgin)
1/4 tsp sugar
pinch salt
pinch pepper
Preheat oven to 375. In an 88 inch baking dish, toss all ingredients to coat the beets evenly. Spray (with a spray on fat spray like PAM) a piece of parchment paper and lay greased side down over the beets. Cover tightly with foil (these two steps keeps them from drying out). Roast 40 min until beets are tender, shaking the pan occasionally.

BEET CAKES (2 servings)
1 c shredded potato (1 medium)
2/3 c shredded beets (1 medium)
1/2 c shredded carrot
3 thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
cooking oil, your choice, for sautéing
Combine all ingredients except oil and flour, mixing well. Add flour, and stir until mixture gets sticky enough to form patties about 1/2 inch thick. You can add a little (a teaspoon) of water if necessary. Form into 4 cakes. Saute in oil over medium heat, covering with a lid when possible (it helps them cook soft faster). Cook until bottom of patties get crusty on the bottom, carefully flip, and cook the other side until crusty, too, about 4-5 min per side. Serve with ketchup or balsamic vinegar or an Asian dipping sauce.

MEATLESS BEET CHILI
1 TB oil
1 large stalk celery, chopped
1 med onion sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
2 cups diced beets (raw; save the greens!)
1 c diced potato (raw)
15-oz can (or 1 pint) stewed tomatoes
3 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
15-oz can red beans, drained
2 TB tomato paste
1 c chopped beet greens (remember saving these? They are optional, but delicious in this dish)
Saute celery, onions and garlic in oil until soft but not browned. Stir in next nine ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook over medium low heat until beets and potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes). Add beans, tomato paste and beet greens and cook over low heat 10-15 min. longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sour cream if desired.

Things to do with your canned beets:

QUICKIE PICKLED BEETS
two 16-oz cans pickled beets (or one quart home canned)
1 cup sugar (I have also succeeded with artificial sweetener)
1 c vinegar
optional: shelled boiled eggs
Drain beets saving the juice. Mix sugar, vinegar and juice in a saucepan and heat through until simmering. Put beets and eggs if you like them pickled, in a bowl large enough to hold them plus a couple inches head space, and pour hot mixture over to submerge them. Refrigerate up to two days before serving (I can never wait that long, I'm into them after 8 hours.)
Recipe courtesy of Barbara Slotter from Pennsylvania.

SAM'S BEAN & BACON SANDWICH
(I don't know who Sam is, but he must be from the South - or a bacon aficionado - to use bacon this creatively!)
Pickled beets
Bread
Good soft butter
Crispy bacon
Drain beets, chop fine. Butter the bread well (you don't want the juice soaking through it before you eat it). Spread beets on one slice, top with crisp bacon slices, then the other piece of bread. Who would have thought this would be so tasty?

Add diced canned beets (drained) to any salad plate. Good with Italian dressing.

Add diced beets to a tomato-based spaghetti sauce - they add color and flavor.

To any canned beets (actually, any canned vegetable) add a dash of sugar and a dash of salt to pep up the flavor. I keep a sugar shaker by the stove and just shake a little on.

BEET SALAD
1 qt. beets
6 hard-boiled eggs
Dressing:
1 c. Miracle Whip
1/4 c. canned milk
1/4 c. sugar
1/8 c. vinegar
Dice the beets and hard-boiled eggs in a bowl. Add Miracle Whip dressing and stir well. Salad is better if made the day before and stirred several times. (Cooks.com)

BEET SALAD (2)
2 cans beets
4 hard-boiled eggs
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 sm. can peas
1/2 onion, chopped
Mayonnaise
Cut beets in small pieces. Mix all ingredients. Chill. Serves 8. (Cooks.com)

BORSCH (RUSSIAN BEET SOUP)
2 cans beef bouillon
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 med. beets cooked, peeled and chopped
1 slice ham (or 3 slices bacon fried) cubed (I made with leftover roast pork, it was tasty)
1/2 c. tomato juice
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 head small cabbage, cut fine
To the 2 cans of bouillon add the chopped carrots and onion (and 1 bay leaf if desired). Boil 1/2 hour and strain. Return clear broth to pan add the beets, ham, tomato juice and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is done. Serve in bowls topped with a tablespoon of sour cream and garnish with croutons if desired. (Cooks.com)

BULGARIAN BEETS WITH YOGURT
3/4 c. plain yogurt
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. chopped dill
Salt, pepper & cayenne pepper to taste
2 (8 oz.) cans julienned beets
Combine all ingredients except beets. Blend well and chill. Drain beets and chill in separate container. To serve, spoon yogurt mixture over beets. 4 servings. (Cooks.com)

BEET JELLY
6 c. beet juice (drained from canned beets)
1 lg. box raspberry gelatin
2 boxes Sure Jell
1/2 c. lemon juice
8 c. sugar
Strain beet juice and combine with gelatin, Sure Jell, lemon juice and boil 1 minute. Then add sugar and boil for 6 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. (Cooks.com)

BEET WINE (Darlene Summers, geniuskitchen.com) Makes 1 gallon
10 medium beets
1 gallon water
2 1/2 pounds sugar
1 cake yeast
1/4 tsp pepper
Pare and quarter beets, and boil in water until tender. Let stand in water 24 hours. Strain out beets and add water to make total liquid 1 gallon. Add sugar and pepper. Boil for 10 minutes. Strain through cloth into a clay crock. Let cool to lukewarm. Spread yeast on a piece of bread that was thoroughly dried in the oven. Place it in the lukewarm liquid. Let ferment 10 days. Bottle, but do not cork tightly. Recipe comes from an old Lithuanian church cookbook.

These are a few 'different' ways to add beets to the menu. Enjoy!

Thank you so much! My Dad was 100% Russian from immigrant parents. He made Borscht soup it was incredible.
I have never liked beets but now at the age of **, I have learned to like them. I’ve tasted them from time to time throughout my life and really wanted to like them because they are so good for you.
Kappydell, thank you for all those recipes.

When I was 13, I would help my gg aunt a few days a week. I wasn't much of a cook then but she would sit at the table and tell me exactly how to make things. Your beet recioes reminded me. She used to love "harvard" beets, that's what she called them. I can't remember exactly but you boiled, peeled, and sliced them. Then put butter, sugar, flour, salt and pepper into a sauce pan and cook til the liquids thickened.

I think I ate beets once, when I was in college. My family never had them, neither of my grandparents had them. My daughter eats them. It isn't that I think I don't like them, they have just never been in my repertoire.

I did try borsch once, and was not a fan. Maybe it takes some getting used to?

Root vegetables tend to be starchy. I wonder if any of them are keto friendly?

When I was 13, I would help my gg aunt a few days a week. I wasn't much of a cook then but she would sit at the table and tell me exactly how to make things. Your beet recioes reminded me. She used to love "harvard" beets, that's what she called them. I can't remember exactly but you boiled, peeled, and sliced them. Then put butter, sugar, flour, salt and pepper into a sauce pan and cook til the liquids thickened.
I LOVE Harvard Beets....but then again, I like all kinds of beets. Kind of a sweet sour beet with a thickened sauce. I make mine like these:
MY MOM'S HARVARD BEETS
one 16 oz can beets, or 1 pound beets, cooked, peeled & cut up
1/2 c vinegar
3/4 c sugar
2 TB flour
salt to taste
Drain the liquid from the canned beets into a saucepan. If using home cooked beets, save 3/4 cup of the 'juice'. If using canned beets, pour the liquid into a peanut butter jar and add flour. Shake to get all the lumps out. Pour into a saucepan. If using home cooked beets, shake the flour with 1/4 cup cold water, and put that, with the 3/4 cup cooking liquid from the beets, into the saucepan. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring. Add the beets, cook and stir until thickened and heated through.
Most recipes I see use cornstarch (1 TB), but I like to use flour, because you can reheat any leftovers without losing the thickening properties of flour. It is also handy if someone has a corn allergy, of course. Mom used a roux of flour and melted margarine to make her sauce, but I like these fat-free just as well. You can always add butter and stir it in if you like the flavor.

I LOVE Harvard Beets....but then again, I like all kinds of beets. Kind of a sweet sour beet with a thickened sauce. I make mine like these:
MY MOM'S HARVARD BEETS
one 16 oz can beets, or 1 pound beets, cooked, peeled & cut up
1/2 c vinegar
3/4 c sugar
2 TB flour
salt to taste
Drain the liquid from the canned beets into a saucepan. If using home cooked beets, save 3/4 cup of the 'juice'. If using canned beets, pour the liquid into a peanut butter jar and add flour. Shake to get all the lumps out. Pour into a saucepan. If using home cooked beets, shake the flour with 1/4 cup cold water, and put that, with the 3/4 cup cooking liquid from the beets, into the saucepan. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring. Add the beets, cook and stir until thickened and heated through.
Most recipes I see use cornstarch (1 TB), but I like to use flour, because you can reheat any leftovers without losing the thickening properties of flour. It is also handy if someone has a corn allergy, of course. Mom used a roux of flour and melted margarine to make her sauce, but I like these fat-free just as well. You can always add butter and stir it in if you like the flavor.
I will have to try your way. I didn't care for hers, but she loved them.

I love pickled beets, almost as much as pickled peaches (done with white peaches). It's been years since I had any though. :(
I was wondering about white peaches...never saw them before, now my local Wal mart has Belle of Georgia trees for sale for around $20. They are supposed to be white? Is flavor different, or just color?

I was wondering about white peaches...never saw them before, now my local Wal mart has Belle of Georgia trees for sale for around $20. They are supposed to be white? Is flavor different, or just color?

The flavor is a lot different, much less acid in them than yellow peaches. Belle of Georgia has a good flavor. There is also a semi-wild variety I find around old homesteads, commonly known as "Indian peaches". They are tiny peaches but I love the flavor. I have a tree by my corral.:)

White peaches are great for pickling. A yellow peach has a lot of acid, add vinegar and you have to much acid, no good for pickling.

OK...I like to research cultivars before I just plant any old thing....this sounds like something I might like!

Latest posts

Back