Sad details of the Vietnam War

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Resized_1000006983.jpeg

And now we're finding out that some of the names on the Korean Wall of Remembrance never died (or even served in Korea) and are still alive. In addition that some who paid the ultimate sacrifice are not listed. There is talk about rebuilding the Korean Wall.
https://www.historynet.com/errors-in-korean-war-memorial/
ETA: I edited my post to correct the name of the memorial.

Last edited:
Just heard a story on local news (they have a weekly "Service and Sacrifice" story) about a couple of ladies whose fathers were KIA in Korea and were left off the new memorial to the Korean victims. Turns out 10 or 11 folks were left off.
Not surprised that happened with the Nam memorial. But that is HALLOWED ground. Damn well better not be destroyed

And now we're finding out that some of the names on the Wall never died (or even served in Nam) and are still alive. In addition that some who paid the ultimate sacrifice are not listed. There is talk about rebuilding the Wall.
I can only imagine how painstaking it was to compile this list, and I'm pretty sure there are those that slipped through the cracks. One can only do the best they could do.

Also, to me the 1448 souls killed on their last day seems off. Weren't all killed on their last day? Maybe their scheduled return home date would be more appropriate?

Regardless, Rest in Peace, HEROES!

And now we're finding out that some of the names on the Wall never died (or even served in Nam) and are still alive. In addition that some who paid the ultimate sacrifice are not listed. There is talk about rebuilding the Wall.
Where did you see this info?
I have been active in veteran's issues since I first joined Vietnam Veterans of America in 1982.
I have never heard of this before.

People should not mourn those whose names are on the wall - they would not have wanted that.

It is enough to remember them and honor their memory.

I was in the military for a long time - most of our instructors when I started out, served in Vietnam several times.

Even when I knew them, they believed that what they had done there, had been the right thing to do. Those who died there would have overwhelmingly believed in what they were doing.

Troops accept what the risks are - if we get hit, we get hit, if we get killed then so be it. But most hope that, if they die, their families and friends will not get too upset.

Last edited:
I have been blessed to visit the Wall at least 3 times. That, and being present at the tomb Of the unknown soldier at Marine guard change were unbelievably humbling.
The Tomb Guards are all members of the US Army 3rd Infantry Regiment, known as The Old Guard.
To be selected to become a Tomb Guard is the highest honor a Soldier can aspire to.
They are the pride of the Army.
The Tomb has been guarded 24 hours a day, no matter the weather, since 1948.

Last edited:
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived!" - George Patton

While I think it is possible to be thankful while mourning, I always try to remember this quote when I'm in Arlington or at the Wall or the Korean Memorial or the WWII memorial. Thank God that such men lived.

The Tomb Guards are all members of the US Army 3rd Infantry Regiment, known as The Old Guard.
To be selected to become a Tomb Guard is the highest honor a Soldier can aspire to.
I had a Great Uncle that was an Old Guard member.

The Old Guard does more than just guard the Tomb of the Unknowns.
The Caisson Platoon is in charge of military funerals at Arlington, including the horses.
There is a ceremonial artillery platoon that fires gun salutes at certain functions.
And much more.
https://oldguard.mdw.army.mil

THANK YOU! I have corrected my post.

RPD, you're a hero as well. Thank you for all you sacrifices.
No sir.
I’m just a guy who did what he felt was his duty to country.
I did serve with some real heroes.

Back