Sandwich recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have long been a fan of Reuben sandwiches. I went out to lunch with a friend and she ordered a Rachel sandwich. I had never heard of it before. I do live a fairly boring life.

There was a small grocery store by my hardware store that had been there longer than I have lived in Colorado. It recently changed ownership. One of the new owners went to h.s. and played soccer with my daughter, so I went in to see what the store was like. They are actually a spin off from another small grocery store a few miles away that evidently has around 30 different sandwich choices. As a small grocery store that carries specialty items, it is not a cheap place to shop. You can get a deli made sandwich for around $15. I took a copy of the sandwich menu home. Will I make all of these sandwiches? Probably not, but knowing the recipe options is interesting to me, someone whose most frequent sandwich is grilled cheese, likely 9 out of 10 times that I have a sandwich. I will try some of these sandwiches.

Many things are higher priced now, but I realize that these deli sandwiches can be made at home, if you have the ingredients.

I worked with a man who was often making deli sandwiches for himself for his lunch. Now I wonder if he had worked in a place that made deli sandwiches?

What is involved in deli sandwiches? Particular kinds of bread seem to be involved, such as a Ciabatta roll, rye bread, specialty rolls and more. (I've seen a 6 pack of them at Costco for $6). Deli meats and specific cheeses are used. Dressings, and certain other things like sliced tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, muffuletta (olive salad) and other potential items. There are a number of recipes for these deli sandwich variations.

A Rachel is a Ruben made with turkey. Very good
Not exactly. A Rachel is similar to a Reuben, a close cousin, but made with coleslaw instead of kraut. And yes, it is made with turkey, not corned beef.

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/rachel-sandwich/#recipe

Rachel Sandwich Recipe​

The Rachel Sandwich is a delectable turkey, Swiss, and coleslaw sandwich slathered with homemade thousand island dressing and grilled to perfection.

turkey rachel, turkey reuben sandwich, what is a Rachel Sandwich, what is on a Rachel Sandwich

Prep Time5minutes minutes
Cook Time10minutes minutes

Servings4 sandwiches
Calories709kcal
AuthorBeth Pierce

Ingredients​

Thousand Island Dressing​

• ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons grated onion
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 pinch paprika
  • 1 pinch salt

Rachel Sandwich​

• 8 slices rye bread
  • 8 slices swiss cheese
  • 1 cup creamy coleslaw
  • 1 lb. sliced turkey or more depending on appetite
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Instructions​

• Mix the mayonnaise, grated onion, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt together.
  • Place a piece of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Divide the coleslaw evenly while spooning on top of the cheese on half of the slices. Layer the turkey on the other half of the slices. Divide the thousand island dressing evenly while spreading over the turkey. Sandwich the slices together by combing one turkey slice with one coleslaw slice.
  • Spread the butter over the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwich butter side down in a hot pan over medium low heat. Now spread butter over the side facing up. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Cover and cook until the other side is golden brown. Cook until the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted.

Nutrition​

Calories: 709kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1788mg | Potassium: 620mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 727IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 380mg | Iron: 3mg

Our fallback at home are grilled cheese (I like tomato on it, too), or chicken salad (canned chicken, mayo, celery, and red onion) or egg salad (egg, mayo, mustard all mashed). Our local sandwich place makes a good, big sandwich. Price went up a buck, it's now $4.95. Pick the meat, the cheese, the veggies, then the condiments. White or wheat bread. They make them very thick.

Not exactly. A Rachel is similar to a Reuben, a close cousin, but made with coleslaw instead of kraut. And yes, it is made with turkey, not corned beef.

Rachel Sandwich Recipe​

The Rachel Sandwich is a delectable turkey, Swiss, and coleslaw sandwich slathered with homemade thousand island dressing and grilled to perfection.

turkey rachel, turkey reuben sandwich, what is a Rachel Sandwich, what is on a Rachel Sandwich

Prep Time5minutes minutes
Cook Time10minutes minutes

Servings4 sandwiches
Calories709kcal
AuthorBeth Pierce

Ingredients​

Thousand Island Dressing​

• ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons grated onion
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 pinch paprika
  • 1 pinch salt

Rachel Sandwich​

• 8 slices rye bread
  • 8 slices swiss cheese
  • 1 cup creamy coleslaw
  • 1 lb. sliced turkey or more depending on appetite
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Instructions​

• Mix the mayonnaise, grated onion, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt together.
  • Place a piece of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Divide the coleslaw evenly while spooning on top of the cheese on half of the slices. Layer the turkey on the other half of the slices. Divide the thousand island dressing evenly while spreading over the turkey. Sandwich the slices together by combing one turkey slice with one coleslaw slice.
  • Spread the butter over the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwich butter side down in a hot pan over medium low heat. Now spread butter over the side facing up. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Cover and cook until the other side is golden brown. Cook until the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted.

Nutrition​

Calories: 709kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1788mg | Potassium: 620mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 727IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 380mg | Iron: 3mg
Sub shop we go to uses kraft. I'm sure slaw would jest as good

never had Rachels or Rubens, but I do like Cuban sandwiches, and make them occasionally, or if we drive all the way to Roanoke for whatever reason we have one at the Cuban restaurant there which is very good

basically Cuban bread ( or substitute French bread) with ham and cheese and sliced pork if you have any but just ham is ok too. Mustard, sliced pickles and then butter on the outside. you put the bread in the oven with a heavy weight on it ( I use my cast iron skillet on top of parchment paper ) until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, maybe 10 minutes, you can add mayo later

Rachel Sandwich Recipe​

lol that sounds like a soggy mess!! Personally I don't like thousand island dressing yuck, what's in that? don't like cole slaw either , definitely no corned beef, no wonder i have never had these things LOL, probably looked at a menu and said no way

I wished they would sell real black forest ham in the US , that would be my fav sandwich, rye bread, butter and black forest ham with pickles

https://www.thetasteofgermany.com/adler-original-black-forest-ham-schinken-9-lbs/

I guess you can get it shipped but will not, don't like it enough to pay $139 ( plus the shipping )

lol that sounds like a soggy mess!! Personally I don't like thousand island dressing yuck, what's in that? don't like cole slaw either , definitely no corned beef, no wonder i have never had these things LOL, probably looked at a menu and said no way

I wished they would sell real black forest ham in the US , that would be my fav sandwich, rye bread, butter and black forest ham with pickles

https://www.thetasteofgermany.com/adler-original-black-forest-ham-schinken-9-lbs/

I guess you can get it shipped but will not, don't like it enough to pay $139 ( plus the shipping )
I see Black Forest Ham here and there. It may not be like what you are used to in Germany though.

Our fallback at home are grilled cheese (I like tomato on it, too), or chicken salad (canned chicken, mayo, celery, and red onion) or egg salad (egg, mayo, mustard all mashed). Our local sandwich place makes a good, big sandwich. Price went up a buck, it's now $4.95. Pick the meat, the cheese, the veggies, then the condiments. White or wheat bread. They make them very thick.
I always throw a little diced ham in my egg salad!!

That is an incredible price for a sandwich in today's prices.

https://www.laurafuentes.com/new-orleans-muffuletta-recipe/

Recipe in link

Muffuletta
IMG_1363.png
IMG_1363.png

New Orleans Muffuletta Recipe​

This muffuletta sandwich recipe is made in the authentic New Orleans style! Flavorful and delicious stuffed with meats, cheese, and the quintessential olive salad you love.

Servings: 6

Prep Time10minutes mins
Total Time10minutes mins

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 10-inch round Italian bread
  • 1 cup Olive Salad
  • ¼ lb Capicola or deli ham, 4-6 slices
  • ¼ lb Genoa Salami, 6-8 slices
  • ¼ lb Mortadella, 4-6 slices
  • ⅛ lb Sliced Mozzarella, 3-4 thin slices
  • ⅛ lb Provolone, 3-4 thin slices

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Slice the round bread in half horizontally and open it on a flat surface.
  • Brush both inner sides of the bread with oil from the Olive Salad or extra virgin olive oil, go a little heavier on the bottom.
  • Begin layering the ham, salami, and mortadella on the bottom half of the bread. Top with cheeses.
  • Next, add the olive salad from the center out and spread it, leaving about a half-inch around the edge. Place the top half of the bread over the olive mixture, and press down to let the bread absorb the olive salad juices.
  • Using a bread knife, slice the round sandwich into 4 to 6 wedges.
  • Optional: place the whole sandwich, before slicing, on a large baking sheet, and toast/warm-up in a 350F preheated oven for about 5 minutes.

NUTRITION​

Serving: 1 serving Calories: 489k cal Carbohydrates: 42g Protein: 25g Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 9g Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g Monounsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 890mg Potassium: 224mg Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Vitamin A: 229IU Calcium: 194mg Iron: 4mg
---------------------
So good!

...A Rachel is similar to a Reuben, a close cousin, but made with coleslaw instead of kraut...

Sounds Yummers. 👍 One of Our Fam-Favorites is Grilled Cheese w/ 'Curtido'..

5ee033d304e8b6585a79a7182f8fe7cf.jpg
🤔

Recipe / Another super-Yummy combo with Curtido, here: https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/what-are-you-having-for-dinner.96/page-185#post-403634 :cool:

Basically, same 'concept' as the Dog, there, but simply make yer Fav grilled Cheese, as you-wish, and, once (slightly) cooled, pry open sammy / add a - Drained well - heapin helpin of the 'Curdido'.. SO good. :cool: Pro tip: a 'Blend' of Cheeses (ie: Fontina + Gouda, etc) on Sourdough is recommended. 👍

jd

Well, its a grilled shredded extra sharp cheddar toasted in the oven with round top bread or Texas toast with enough brushed butter to make it brown, Mayo, tomato, pickle relish, and rotisserie chicken broiled with butter Liquid smoke, Louisiana Cajun Seasoning a little olive oil Italian dressing.

With it deviled eggs with pickle relish just a few grains of of brown sugar, red pepper, some salt, black pepper, crushed celery Paprika of course.

Garlic butter on my grill cheese
I use either sharp cheddar or pepper jack

Also like garlic butter on my reubin
Roast beef po boy
We had a store in McComb 30 years ago
Called Bert’s. They had crock pot of roast beef and gravy every day
The meat was all ways tender and the gravy would drip down your arm as you ate it. I miss that place

Well, its a grilled shredded extra sharp cheddar toasted in the oven with round top bread or Texas toast with enough brushed butter to make it brown, Mayo, tomato, pickle relish, and rotisserie chicken broiled with butter Liquid smoke, Louisiana Cajun Seasoning a little olive oil Italian dressing.

With it deviled eggs with pickle relish just a few grains of of brown sugar, red pepper, some salt, black pepper, crushed celery Paprika of course.
Love me some develed eggs

My wife likes Ruben's. Not my cup of tea. My go-to is a good club sandwich or tuna salad. There are a couple of retaurants near me where I will always get the club sandwich. Definitely not something I can get at home.

I have been trying to cut down on carbs, so I have been eating tuna fish plain, right out of the can, but my tuna salad recipe is simple. One can of tuna. One tablespoon of mayo. Chopped or diced celery and a little paprika for color.

..My go-to is a good club sandwich...

Aye, #MeToo. ;) There's a 'Truck Stop caliber' restaurant out here that started out, well.. at a Truck Stop :) but they've 'matured' to gain Quite a following / opened up a second location, etc.. People drive Out to the Truck Stop (few miles out from Town) just to Go there - their plates are That Good. :cool: ie: Their 'Classic Club'..

sandwiches2.jpg

(..and, they're even Bigger since they took this menu snap - Like each '1/4' is Triple-Decker, now, not single-layered - It's truly hard to even Bite it, and the plate Defies ya to finish it in One sitting. :cool: Added Avocado, use Applewood-smoked Bacon, etc.. All Very good. 👍

re: Tuna, yep, one of my Favs also. For yer 'standard mix', try a little 'Cholula' in place of the paprika - 'All the color' but 2x the Flavor. 👍

When there's no Mayo avail (or if ya just don't Want any, etc) I came up with a little 'Asian-style variant':

- 1 can Tuna, drained
- 1 Tsp. of Soy Sauce (to-Taste - I just usually use one of the lil 'packets', so maybe a Bit more than a Tsp.. and the 'low-salt' variant also works fine)
- Chopped Green Onion, to-taste..
- Coarse Black Pepper, to-taste..
- Crushed Almonds (roasted / salted are typical, but I Love to use Hellmart's 'Best Value' brand 'Soy + Wasabi' almonds, Mmm!)
- Small dab of Wasabi (If you have. If you don't - Get some ;)

Serve on a whole wheat Pita with some Romaine, or just straight outta the mixin-bowl with Crackers (ie: Ritz are great, but My Fav are 'Stoned Wheat Thins' :cool:

PS - Certainly, putting Some Mayo in with the above Reci isn't a 'sin', but.. it's not "necessary" for a Yum-Win. ;) Also, it is Fantastic subbing-in canned Salmon. 😍

Fwiw
jd

Last edited:
Czech sandwiches are often open faced. They do a variety of sandwiches with just a bottom piece of bread.

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/ar...LAj-V9KgYNJirp7PZ14wjLjgx5QxOYlz8VfFnajeXP6BM
As Easter and the season of hardboiled eggs approaches, chefs from two popular restaurants in Prague, Café Savoy and Štangl, have shared their recipes for egg-based spreads. These spreads can be used as toppings for canapés or sandwiches, and are a great way to make use of the surplus of eggs you may have.

Egg salad spread from Café Savoy​

INGREDIENTS

• 5-6 eggs
  • 10 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 2-3 stalks chives, chopped
  • Juice of half a lemon or lime (to taste)
  • Salt pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

• 1.Hard boil the eggs in water or steam for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, shallots, and chives with lemon juice and salt in a bowl.
  • 2.Peel the boiled eggs, let cool, and cut into cubes. Mix everything, refrigerate for an hour, and serve.

CHEF'S TIP

Serve these spreads atop a thick, crusty bread like sourdough (we like Bread 33 from Eska bakery in Prague), sprinkled with finely chopped onion and chives. Potato salad spread can be used to prepare the traditional Czech chlebičky, open-faced sandwiches.

Eggs salad spread from Štangl restaurant​

INGREDIENTS

• 4 eggs
  • 50 g of white yogurt
  • 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
  • 1 small onion
  • Pickles, to taste
  • Chives, to serve

INSTRUCTIONS

• 1.Hard-boil the eggs for 10 minutes from the start of boiling. Make sure the eggs are completely submerged.
  • 2.Finely chop the boiled eggs, onion, pickles, and chives. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
  • 3.Mix thoroughly but gently and only until combined so that the individual ingredients do not get too mushy.
  • 4.Chef Štangl serves the spread topped with fried bacon bits and leafy greens.

What I yearn for is a good 'ol Schlotzsky's Original. You can't hardly find them anymore, except in Texas. I remember the first store ever - on Congress Ave. in Austin, TX, where I lived at the time. Then they built one on Burnett Rd., much closer to where I lived. A Schlotzky's sandwich is their take on a muffuletta, but not quite so many olives, or maybe just less strong flavored olives. I love muffulettas too! Jason's Deli has good ones.

Probably more of a sandwich than I'd attempt at home. Too many not-normally-stocked-at-home ingredients. The sourdough buns they make Schlotzsky's on ... oh, Heaven to the palette!

DW boil up three dozen eggs for Easter party at BIL & then their cat got sick & has to be put to sleep, so no party.
Now I am eating boil eggs every day! It s not all bad, do not have to cook them, just peal them & they fit my diet.
"

"Egg salad spread from Café Savoy"​

INGREDIENTS

• 5-6 eggs
  • 10 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 2-3 stalks chives, chopped
  • Juice of half a lemon or lime (to taste)
  • Salt pepper, to taste
THANKS, Weedy!

What I yearn for is a good 'ol Schlotzsky's Original. You can't hardly find them anymore, except in Texas. I remember the first store ever - on Congress Ave. in Austin, TX, where I lived at the time. Then they built one on Burnett Rd., much closer to where I lived. A Schlotzky's sandwich is their take on a muffuletta, but not quite so many olives, or maybe just less strong flavored olives. I love muffulettas too! Jason's Deli has good ones.

Probably more of a sandwich than I'd attempt at home. Too many not-normally-stocked-at-home ingredients. The sourdough buns they make Schlotzsky's on ... oh, Heaven to the palette!
There used to be Schlotzsky's around the Denver area. A girl who played on daughter's soccer team, parents had a Schlotzky's. I never went.

Latest posts

Back