Sandwich recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad put mustard in a slice of white bread, then fried fat back after removing the rind, then a layer of white onions, another slice of bread.

Last edited:
I have long been a fan of Reuben sandwiches. I went out to lunch with a friend and she ordered a Rachel sandwich. I had never heard of it before. I do live a fairly boring life.

There was a small grocery store by my hardware store that had been there longer than I have lived in Colorado. It recently changed ownership. One of the new owners went to h.s. and played soccer with my daughter, so I went in to see what the store was like. They are actually a spin off from another small grocery store a few miles away that evidently has around 30 different sandwich choices. As a small grocery store that carries specialty items, it is not a cheap place to shop. You can get a deli made sandwich for around $15. I took a copy of the sandwich menu home. Will I make all of these sandwiches? Probably not, but knowing the recipe options is interesting to me, someone whose most frequent sandwich is grilled cheese, likely 9 out of 10 times that I have a sandwich. I will try some of these sandwiches.

Many things are higher priced now, but I realize that these deli sandwiches can be made at home, if you have the ingredients.

I worked with a man who was often making deli sandwiches for himself for his lunch. Now I wonder if he had worked in a place that made deli sandwiches?

What is involved in deli sandwiches? Particular kinds of bread seem to be involved, such as a Ciabatta roll, rye bread, specialty rolls and more. (I've seen a 6 pack of them at Costco for $6). Deli meats and specific cheeses are used. Dressings, and certain other things like sliced tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, muffuletta (olive salad) and other potential items. There are a number of recipes for these deli sandwich variations.
With a Heineken dark...magnificent. A ll Juilliard students go on Reuben Quests...even the vegetarians...seeking out NY's very best.

Eisenberg's or Katz's.......they bake their own rye for it...and...it's still warm from the oven. $$$$$ but...whaddya 'spect!

There used to be Schlotzsky's around the Denver area. A girl who played on daughter's soccer team, parents had a Schlotzky's. I never went.
The only one I know of now, is out at the airport. Not inside the airport, but at that "car waiting area" where you can park while waiting for incoming passengers to arrive rather than driving continuously around the loop to passenger pickup and then back out again if they're not there yet. Strange location for a Schlotzsky's if you ask me.

Back