Scenario #4 - Tuesday April 24

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You were tired of the world at that moment and decided to head out for some quality off the grid camping. A solid week and a half with no phones, television, internet, politics, media, etc. A solid week of peace, quiet and nature. You of course brought everything you would need for such an adventure. It was amazing and you are feeling great. After 10 days you (and possibly your loved one/ones) hike out of the remote area to where you parked your vehicle. You start the vehicle and immediately the radio is blaring with bad news. Possible economic disaster, mass civil unrest, martial law declared in various regions, riots, riot police and chaos from coast to coast. Madness has ensued. People are dying. The gov't is struggling to maintain control.

1) What is your first move?
2) What do you have with you?
3) What do you WISH you had with you?
4) Do you head back into the woods are do you go home/BOL?
5) Do you reach out to family/friends?
6) What next?

DANCE and DANCE and celebrate the birth of: "The BIG RESET"

Everything I need for the next three years (I hope) Not everything I will want, but what will be needed.

Six.....really good dogs (Two Male)

Just start making the rounds and checking caches, trapping cabins, debris shelters, overwatch platform. Fix what needs fixed, mover supplies as necessary, shoot a small to medium size animal for bait and food.

Family......"NO" Friends.......Maybe......I'll just wait and see if anyone shows up.

6) What next?
Fire up the CAT D-8 Dozer and start digging trenches. Lay down trees for the next several days. Check zero on the half mile rifles. Stage Ammo.

You were tired of the world at that moment and decided to head out for some quality off the grid camping. A solid week and a half with no phones, television, internet, politics, media, etc. A solid week of peace, quiet and nature. You of course brought everything you would need for such an adventure. It was amazing and you are feeling great. After 10 days you (and possibly your loved one/ones) hike out of the remote area to where you parked your vehicle. You start the vehicle and immediately the radio is blaring with bad news. Possible economic disaster, mass civil unrest, martial law declared in various regions, riots, riot police and chaos from coast to coast. Madness has ensued. People are dying. The gov't is struggling to maintain control.

6) What next?

1) We are in Phase 1 but transition to Phase 2 either already in progress or soon to come ...so I will head to the BOL. not my townhome where I have extra guns/ammo would be traveling the opposite direction. Also I have plenty of that at the BOL.
2) 1 GP100 in .357 Magnum or a M&P9 for weapons. Probably an AR w/ electroptoic in the truck as a trunk gun. A Chest rig ...I have extra water and spare clothes in the truck.
3) More of the guns/ammo I keep at my domicile.. while i dont strictly need as i can shoot only 1 firearm at a time they do present a non-trivial value. Also wish I had with me Diet Pepsi. LOTS of Diet Pepsi.
4) To a BOL
5) If cell network is operable yes. But I dont have any real close friends that I wont already run into when I get to the BOL... I would check to see if everyone else is heading to BOL as well. If they arent I would ask why not.. maybe radio was sensationalist..
6) I would not even stop to buy things.. I do not need to stop for fuel. I never let my tank drop below the level I need to drive to the BOL.. at this stage likely risky... if I make it past a shop that takes cash for fuel and or food and does not appear over run I might stop.. but the slightest bad vibe ( crowding etc ) and I dont bother.. Get to the BOL. organize w/ my buddies start patrolling the perimeter.. First just in practice and gte to know every nook and cranny of property... but as things decline eventually we might get real "customers"

The furthest "off grid" we have been lately is the National Radio Quiet zone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone. We vacationed along the Blue Ridge parkway, and went to see the Green Bank observatory and some of the touristy railroads in the area.

1: First move: Fill the car with gas if I can. Find an ATM and get whatever cash I can.
2: The GHB in the car, EDC, and whatever we packed for the trip.
3: The AR from the gun safe, and a can of ammo.
4/5: Heading home, no friends or family in that area.
6: See what happens and Improvise/Adapt/Overcome.

We only camp in our RV so we would have many prep items with us and would be well armed though where we live and would be camping things would remain very calm.
Drive home and if possible fill the gas tank so if required I could later siphon it out for the generator.
We are set up for an extended time at home though once there we might switch to our truck and run in to the local small town to see what we could buy. If possible we would stock well (more can't hurt).
No family or invited friends near our home so we would alone until our kids showed up (per plan).
If internet and shipping were still viable I would place a massive order for all kinds of things. (more is better)
Sharpen my hunting knives and stare at the local elk.

Depends on how we were camping.If in the trailer it really depends on where we are. Within 2 hours of home, head there quickly. We always have a good deal of gear and food with us, well armed, well equipped.

If backpacking, I might just turn and head back into the hills.

I keep GHB in the truck always that would add to the gear.

First move is to take stock of what I have in the vehicle, complete inventory. My vacation would have been at the beach, living out of a beach fishing modified XJ... I don’t hike. I would have enough gear to keep me going on a remote fishing trip, with no stores to go to. Food would be low. I would have fish in the cooler, bag of flour, some cans of Beenie Weenies, crackers, spices… No long term food stuffs but enough gear to keep me going for an extended time.

Second is to take stock of where I am. My only ‘camping’ scenario would be on a barrier island off North Carolina. I would be living in the vehicle and waiting on the ferry to take me back to the mainland. I would wait at the appointed time for the ferry at the dock. I could get a better idea what is up when/if they come to pick me up. No matter what time of year, there would at least be a few others out there also. We could discuss what each knows.

Next move depends on the ferry. If it comes, we would have a good idea exactly what is up. If things look good enough, take it back and head home or to another location. Perhaps one of the locals who was out there also. If it does not come the only way out is across the sound, 3 miles by boat. The vehicles are useless for travel.

The parking lot at the ferry dock is full of campers and a few smaller boats. Perhaps 30 mobile home type vehicles at any given time. Folks take them over and park them for the season. They walk on the ferry carrying gas and supplies to the island. Then they drive them up and down the island, park on the beach and fish. If there are others with me waiting at the ferry, we group-up and hunker down. I would have no choice but to band with them, regardless of who they are. It is the Red Neck Riveria there and never met anyone who wasn’t good folks. But I will go with the I am all alone out there scenario.

The park service has a dozen rough cabins out there, no utilities but they are shelter. I pick one and call it home. I can see the ferry dock from a couple of them so will have to keep an ear in that direction or an eye on it. I have no choice but to start hunting food. I would not break into any of the campers right off, I need to wait and make sure that is a necessity to life. I would scrounge all the cabins and the grounds. Lots of racoons, rabbits and such out there.. Lots of them. And lots of fish regardless of time of year.

Next? I wait it out. I would expect to have company if things are that bad on the mainland. All the locals go there to fish/camp/party. I would think some of them would be hightailing it out there to get away from the troubles. As above I would have no choice but to group up with whomever showed up. If the ferry shows up eventually, things are better and safe to possibly leave. If no one ever shows I would think times are REALLY bad on the mainland and plan an extended stay.

If I started breaking into campers I would expect at least a years supply of readymade food. Lots of canned goods, flour, spices and all. Extra fishing and camping gear and who knows. I would get a boat running. Not power but paddle, maybe a kayak or canoe in the sound. I could farm the sound for food and possibly take a trip across the sound, to see what was on the shore.

There would be enough generators and gas to charge my cell phone and I would have the 11 band crank/solar radio with me for news. I would make myself as comfortable as possible. As time goes on I would think I’d move into one of the mobile homes. Many have small wood stoves. Spend my days fishing, drying/smoking fish. Trapping coons, getting wood…

If no one ever showed up on the island I would wait to make a trip to the mainland. Most likely it would be a spring trip. Hunker down for the winter out there then take a boat across and see what I could find. Small village right across the sound and a larger city 12 or 15 miles down the sound. That would give enough time for the zombies to expire and the only folks left would be the strong wolves or survivalists. Maybe I wouldn’t go anywhere. Perhaps just a trip across to see if I could scrounge supplies.

The most private off the grid area for camping is a few miles from my BOL, which is 40 miles from even a fair sized community. So I imagine when I reached my SUV I would be simply driving over to the family farm and getting more information. I would already have more than a fair amount of equipment to include defensive arms and ammo, with even more at the farm house. My family and friends would likely already be there or on their way there if at all possible. I would certainly love to have my full armaments and ammo stores, not to mention food buckets and other items back at my home. But who knows, it could have been looted by that point. I could see myself heading back into our small city after my family is well secured at our BOL with family or friends to assist in their safety. Would like to find out more about what is happening and hopefully collect more supplies. I would also report in to my department to see what is what from that angle. I did swear and oath and if my family is safe and secure I have some serving and protecting to do.

Replan my route home. The easy way in from any direction passes through an urban area. The scenic route travels around those areas. We'd be taking the scenic route.
Sleeping bags, tarp, some paracord, first aid kit, flashlights, a knife, several firestarters, a handgun and a rifle with 200 rounds for each, both my dogs, and the get-home bag in my truck (more rope, three days of lifeboat rations, additional first aid kit, additional flashlight, another set of fire starters, a poncho, another handgun and another 200 rounds, a decent compass and an area map, a liter of water, and a water filter).
All the emergency preparation supplies stored at my home.
Our plan has always been to start out by "bugging in". We would stick with that plan, which means we would head for home.
Yes, during the drive home. First by cell phone, then by 2 meter HT if the phones don't work. Family only at this time - don't need to expand the number of people who know that we're not home.
6) What next?
Get home and put the bug-in plan in place, which includes gathering in family and in with the neighborhood emergency preparation group.

Im "Bugged In". Why aren't you? You should be retired.

Latest posts

Back