Scenario: What Would You Want?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fteter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Your vehicle has stopped working on an old, isolated country road about 60 miles from any civilization. You can't get the darn thing started and there is no cell phone service, so you're likely in for a bit of a long walk. Good thing it's springtime, so the weather is fairly decent.

The only resources available to you are the contents of a small belt pouch like this one. Other than a pistol or a handheld radio, what items would you want to have stocked in the belt pouch?

Pistol, extra mag(although both of these and my knife would already be on my belt), extra socks, 550 cord, water, map, poncho, flashlight+batteries and some jerky. Oh and my Sawyer water filter. Season dependent of course. And maybe some sexy pants for hitch hiking purposes.

Can't tell what size that bag is. But it doesn't appear a great deal smaller than my GHB that goes most anywhere I do. I use a MountianSmith Lumbar pack. Has a really good hip belt and I got the shoulder straps to use with it. I keep mine loaded with supplies to get me home in 2-3 days while walking from work. Or even to hole up if the truck broke down in bad weather. I keep the following gear in it. 2 quart water bottles, A Sawyer water purifier, Reflective bivy bag, first aid kit, including QuickClot gauze and a TQ. Couple of banndanas, cold weather gloves, balaclava, extra layer shirt, extra socks, leather work gloves, Becker BK-15 sheath knife, small cook pot, folding stove and gas bottle, Freeze dried food, a brick of lifeboat rations, enough meds for a week, a couple of lawn size garbage bags, 100' of paracord, compass, maps for my route home that covers 2-3 seperate routes. Headlamp, Spare batteries, Yeasu FT60 radio,. I also carry a pocket knife on me always and have more clothes, water, hachet, folding saw, tarps, Leatherman super tool, and other goodies in the truck. Here is a link to the butt pack and straps. My pack is more like the one at the bottom of the page, just an older model. It's 15+ years old and has been used on many hikes, including some very light weight overnights. It's dirty but really doesn't show any wear yet. My plan is to keep the gear light but have most of the greatest need items covered and move as fast as I can.

https://mountainsmith.com/lumbar-packs.html/

Old joke.
Carry a deck of cards, start playing solitary and pretty soon someone will come by and say black 8 on red 9.

Some really good hiking boots, 60 miles is a long walk.
Years ago I flew into a remote place in Alaska with my uncle. We were duck hunting. He had dropped off a couple of people at another lake, and he had to get them so I stayed to hunt.
Just before he closed the float plane door and took off he said remember the nearest road is that way about 120 miles. When you get to the road turn right and there is a house about 40 miles.
All I had for shoes was hip waders. This was before I was smart enough to carry a bag so no supplies of any kind. I did have a shotgun but only duck loads.
I have never felt so alone and was really glad when he got back, right up to the time I asked him what that red light that just came on meant. His reply was I don't know for sure, it's never came on before. It turned out to be an electrical charging problem but we made it back to Fairbanks.

I would double check the map and if it really was 60 miles to anything I would just lay down in the back seat and wait for my wife to send help. Though I do keep two GHB's in our vehicle, one for me and a smaller one for my wife. I could make the 60 mile walk because I always have a water filter in the larger bag. The 60 miles would likely take me three days so I would hope to see a few rabbits along the way.

Yes on the boots. Having footwear you can walk 60 miles in at all times should be a given. Easier for guys most of the time but my feet are always clad in quality footwear.

I'd wouldn't be walking because I would stay with my car.

What's in my pouch?

1. Pocket knife.
2. Butane lighter.
3. Collapsible drinking cup.
4. Water filter.
5. Poncho, also used as a rain collector.
6. Basic First Aid kit.
7. Paracord
8. Wire snare
9. Coiled fishing line with a few hooks.

I would check to see if I had a spark from the coil. If not then I would adjust the points or file them and then adjust them. When I get spark I would start the car. If there was a spark then I would check for fuel. If there was no fuel to the carb I would check the fuel system for clogged filters or a bad pump. Filters can be by-passed and I have a spare electric pump to by-pass the mechanical one.
Then I would start the car and drive to town to get what parts I needed.
My cars don't have computers or electronic ignition for just this reason. I can fix just about any "no-start" condition on the side of the road. I have even repaired a starter at night on the side of the road, in a three piece suit. There are few reasons to leave a car and walk... a blown motor, a blown transmission or a broken axle.

Lots of good stuff here. Actually reinforces my thinking on the scenario - you can go a long way on a lot of knowledge and just a few basics. Is it ideal? Nope. Is it do-able? Yup. Especially liked the ideas of good boots and socks (won't fit in the pouch, but still...) and the idea of staying with the car.

BTW, in real life, the hip pouch is just part of a larger GHB system (hip pouch + day pack). And I never leave home without my ham HT and some type of decent antenna.

Good stuff, y'all. Thanks for playing!

Knife, 6' tape measure, lighter & matches, lip balm, magnet, snare wire, magnifying glass,credit card.
The above is what I have in a pocket kit.

Below is what I leave in my truck at all times(no gun when I am not in the truck).
I carry compact tools, knives, machete,lighter,flashlight,magnifying glass,paper & pen, $100.00 cash, first aid kit.
A logging chain, woven tow strap, 2 ton floor jack & two jack stand, spare shoes & socks in my truck.

I want a personal locator beacon. The sat phone is good for saying I need help, but not for guiding rescuers to my location. The car already has water, food, shelter, blankets, firemaking, first aid. https://www.rei.com/c/personal-locator-beacons

IMG_6813.JPG

The small black pouch on the bottom is part of my survival kit when I was hunting and is now kept in the car. It contains 4 orange smoke flares that will leave a stain on the snow, signal mirror, orange glow stick for night signal. This can be tied on a string and swung in a large circle to provide an orange circle for a rescuer to see. Also a space blanket, ramen flavour packets, a small lighter, matches in the black container, a knife, and a candle in the plastic bag.

The upper black bag is a pair of binoculars.

The rollup has tools including a tire patch kit, fire starting kits, plastic bags, a fixed bladed knife, a tube of quarters, a light, hand wipes, etc.

If I'm 60 miles from the nearest house, an annual event for me, I'm staying with the vehicle.

IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6809.JPG

Last edited:
I have a GHB in the back of the car permanently, a small waist bag which we call a bum bag I think its called a fanny pack in America.
it contains all the stuff I need to walk home, that and a few maps and a walking staff I keep in the car.

Latest posts

Back