Schools of thought

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildit

Hay Seed Scientist
Neighbor
So in prepping or survival training there are several schools of thought and each applies to some very similar situations even if the starting event differs. For example a train carrying anhydrous ammonia derails a mile from your house, what do you do? VS A dirty bomb explodes a mile from your house what do you do?
Very different emergencies but the response to them is the same. Anyone use this type of analogy to produce prepping item lists?
For example a list of items for a heat wave and forest fire might be very similar to a Nuclear fall out list.

Working in public safety I already had a very good idea of what substantial threats existed in my location. Those factored in heavily to my preps (and training as well). I then started looking at what threats existed regionally and took those into consideration as well. Still there are others that I consider to be KYAG threats (kiss your *** goodbye) that there is nothing to be done but have a group hug and wait it out. It was interesting however how some of the threats we might face, like say a serious communicable disease and a break down at a local chemical plant, require similar gear and protection methods.

Working in public safety I already had a very good idea of what substantial threats existed in my location. Those factored in heavily to my preps (and training as well). I then started looking at what threats existed regionally and took those into consideration as well. Still there are others that I consider to be KYAG threats (kiss your *** goodbye) that there is nothing to be done but have a group hug and wait it out. It was interesting however how some of the threats we might face, like say a serious communicable disease and a break down at a local chemical plant, require similar gear and protection methods.
You get the idea then. I've worked in or around Haz Mat my entire adult life and haze dine level a full containment haz mat in real life, not exercises. I find applying those rules to the concepts of SHTF scenarios is useful in planning and determining what materials are required vs luxury items.

So in prepping or survival training there are several schools of thought and each applies to some very similar situations even if the starting event differs. For example a train carrying anhydrous ammonia derails a mile from your house, what do you do? VS A dirty bomb explodes a mile from your house what do you do?
Very different emergencies but the response to them is the same. Anyone use this type of analogy to produce prepping item lists?
For example a list of items for a heat wave and forest fire might be very similar to a Nuclear fall out list.

I think there are some locations where everyone knows the potential threats, such as people who live within the zone of a nuclear power plant, tornado alley, or in hurricane zones, earthquakes, arctic temperatures. Yes, making lists for specific threats is good, but aren't some threats upredictable? And some preparedness is generic: water, food, shelter, heat, ability to cook?

When I lived in Williston, North Dakota where winter temperatures would be in the -20s for weeks on end, I had cold weather preps in my car: long burning candle, lighter, blankets, hard candy, extra hats and gloves (in case you lose some). I would increase that list now, adding a shovel, food, a pot to heat water, small stove, and more clothing. Water would just freeze, so snow works just as well.

I am a person who does my best to stay home when I know there is potential danger out there as well, unlike some others. My most common recurring threat is blizzards, although that is in the winter. Summer for me would be tornadoes and heat waves. Chemical spills could be a problem for me, as well as possible earthquakes.

Sheltering in at certain times is one of the best things to do. I have preps that would allow me to shelter in place for quite a while. Water is the most important that would allow me to do that, followed by food. Having a generator with adequate gas supplies could make a huge difference for anyone.

Well, consider this. What do you do in the case of war gas like Mustard being released? It's almost the same thing as what you do for any herbicide or pesticide release or even nerve gas. Reason? The cholinesterase inhibitors act the same as the blister agents in mustard. 1st they sink, so go up. 2. The best remedy is fresh air if released in a confined space and cover in an elevated place if released outside. The decontaminant method for them is all the same too, Chlorine %5 (household bleach).
There are many examples of these types of big scale similarities that can aid in prepping efficiently.

Flexibility comes from knowing the options you have through practice and making the right choice without deliberation.
Hesitation puts you in the backseat and you need to react to what has already happened. In a life or death threat that will make you dead. ;)

Heck, you have to get them out of Mommy's basement first. :cry:
. It’s sad but often the biggest influence in a snowflakes life is an over involved, overprotective mother. I have friends who teach at the university level and they tell me that mommy is often there explaining why juniors homework isn’t done or why junior deserves a better grade.

buildit, I completely agree with you. Most people don't know what anhydrous ammonia is, let alone what it can do to you. I don't think the average person has any idea of the hazards that are around them every day, and I know most people do not know what to do if they are exposed to those hazards. One of the major hazards my county faces is exactly what was mentioned- chemicals on trains. Luckily, those are all about 45 miles from my home, but in the event there was a derailment or a major chemical spill up on I40, those victims would most likely come to my hospital, thus bringing the hazard to my community. I have a threat assessment table that lists the many things that could happen, along with impacts on health, shelter, communication, travel ability, food availability, etc, and then I plan my preps from there. I also keep tables of various bioweapons along with treatments (for example, cipro), etc. You are correct that many preps can be used for multiple situations, but if we apply the different types of risks to each of the main categories of preps (shelter, food, water, communications, medical/health, sanitation, etc), then regardless of the cause of the crisis, our preps should be useful.

One thing I've done is print out google earth pictures of my community, especially around my neighborhood. I've marked the pictures with updates (a new house built, or a road closed, etc.) and then added things like locations of hand-pump wells, caves, wild fruit trees (we have a lot of apple trees here) and berry brambles, etc. I've also got a street map that lists where different businesses are- food stores, sports stores, etc. Never know when that might come in handy! My SHTF notebook also has tables of things like antidotes for various chemical exposures (both commercial and military exposures) so I can try to have them on hand just in case.

Very good topic Builtit. I have developed similar tactics between working where I do and the time I spent (11 years) running an volunteer emergency comms group in our county. We were activated a couple different ties due to train derailments, one of which a chlorine tanker was leaking. Discovered much to my chagrin that our house is inside 5 miles from both sets of tracks. But I was also able to learn many other locations that could prove hazardous that I would have had zero knowledge about without participating in emergency disaster drills with the county and state agencies.
But in addition to the hazardous mix that's in or near most areas of the country, we also have some severe weather events from time to time. Tornados aren't regular, but can form in the area, April 2011 comes to mind. We had one touch down less than a mile from here. Most houses in out town was damaged, including ours. Flash Floods are another big issue with the hills and mountians in the area.
But you are right on the money about preparing for one event can swap over to cover another one very easily.

There is no doubt that there are many different scenarios that different from place to place that require differing strategies. In this area we are faced with weak grid infrastructure, high risk of forest fire, flooding in spring, rapidly changing mountain weather, and a railroad that transports a wide range of cargo including hazardous materials. Some will require a Bugout, others will require sealing up and bugging in.

It’s sad but often the biggest influence in a snowflakes life is an over involved, overprotective mother. I have friends who teach at the university level and they tell me that mommy is often there explaining why juniors homework isn’t done or why junior deserves a better grade.

We once got called by campus safety to help remove a mother who apparently attended every single class WITH her 20 year old son to ensure the faculty was not being mean to him and his classmates were not bullying him. At the request of a Professor they asked her to leave but she refused so we walked her out. Apparently she signed up, paid tuition and went back to college to get a new degree with him so she could not be legally removed from the classes and separated from ger 2 decade old baby boy. The degree: early childhood education. She was a retired elementary school teacher who already had a degree. o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back