Seasoning for rice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I had a roommate from Virginia so maybe this is Southern cooking, I don't know. . He had a recipe for breakfast rice: Cook rice, add some butter, add cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, stir it up in your bowl, add milk. It is actually very good. Nutmeg is the least important and sometimes I omit it.

Once I had a roommate from Virginia so maybe this is Southern cooking, I don't know. . He had a recipe for breakfast rice: Cook rice, add some butter, add cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, stir it up in your bowl, add milk. It is actually very good. Nutmeg is the least important and sometimes I omit it.
My wife eats this all the time. Anytime I made rice with a meal, it was required to make double the portion so she and the kids could have what she called "cereal". Never quite got into it myself.

Cook rice, add some butter, add cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, stir it up in your bowl, add milk.
I always added peanut butter to my rice, especially the crunchy with peanut pieces!!!!!
A bowl of rice with a bouillion cube was a short snack sometimes.

Does it look like this? This is a traditional Danish winter/xmas dish. Well, I guess you can eat it all year round, but it's associated with winter/xmas.

risengrød.png
risengrød_2.png

Sugar, milk, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, peanut butter, honey, syrup, bouillion and broths from meat, too many ways to get rice better. All the seasonings should be tried. Curry, tobasco and some hamburger meat...

Like many others rice is a main staple of my lts foods. There's not a whole lot of food that can't be mixed with rice to make it a meal. I actually like it with just a little butter & salt. Any type of meat fried up and mixed with vegetables make for a pretty decent meal as well. Soy sauce, boullion, cheese sauce, etc.

20210209_181045.jpg

Back