Setting snaps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am making more leather covers and pouches recently and have found the snaps and snap setter to be sub par. Does anyone have a suggestion of a reasonable quality setter? Wrench versus hammer set? Thank you all in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Lolly
Hi there Lolly. @Frodo calling Frodo - he's our resident leathersmith.
I have found two things: first the quality of snap - if it is meant for leather, should be alright. Second is the pliers/press. I found an antique (well, two different ones actually) that were made to last over a hundred years and have proven to do so. Might check your local market places for such things. That's my meager input, but see what Frodo says. @Magus might have something to input as well. Not sure who else, but those callouts might get the conversation started. 😊

Hi there Lolly. @Frodo calling Frodo - he's our resident leathersmith.
I have found two things: first the quality of snap - if it is meant for leather, should be alright. Second is the pliers/press. I found an antique (well, two different ones actually) that were made to last over a hundred years and have proven to do so. Might check your local market places for such things. That's my meager input, but see what Frodo says. @Magus might have something to input as well. Not sure who else, but those callouts might get the conversation started. 😊
Thank you for the suggestion. I frequent the local flea market for items like this, however I haven't found one yet (🤞still hopeful). I will see what Frodo and Magus say. I have tried searching the interweb, but evidentially the only stores now are the big ones. Very disappointing.

Step 1
Lay the snap, female side up on a sturdy, flat surface.
Lay a small block of steel on top of it and give it a sharp tap with a small hammer.
check the snap.
repeat until it snaps right and wax it.

My gear is all decades old, but google Tandy Leather, they may have something suitable.
I will check them out. Thank you.
Step 1
Lay the snap, female side up on a sturdy, flat surface.
Lay a small block of steel on top of it and give it a sharp tap with a small hammer.
check the snap.
repeat until it snaps right and wax it.
It's always good to be able to fix what you have.

If I'm really into it, I supply my own:
killer_smiley.png
kizz face.png
EAT SHIT2.png
11954370781732675438johnny_automatic_skull_with_top_hat_and_ccigar_svg_med.png
ArtisticComics-3-52.png

Hey @Lolly
Setting snaps
There are different size snaps for different leather thickness.
And you need a specific set tool for each size

Springfield leather. Com
IMG_1030.jpg

This is the type I use
Most common snap size is a 24 and 20
Here is a tip. Use a Phillips head screw driver. Place on the post and give it a tap
This will pre start the flare which makes it easer to set
Do not beat the hell out of the set tool
Give it a tap then one sharp blow
If you pound on it the snap will deform
Does the snap not want to snap together? You beat it to hard
Use a hammer to snap it closed
Then snap unsnap snap unsnap etc to bring back into shape

Last edited:
Here is a place to buy snaps at a very very low price
Temu
It is in China and buying from them you ARE supporting the take over of our country
Temu will install spyware on a smart phone that can not be removed! In exchange for low price they harvest tour data.

Bad mojo

Ben

Temu will install spyware on a smart phone that can not be removed! In exchange for low price they harvest tour data.

Bad mojo

Ben
This I think is true, 2 weeks ago I sent a pm to a person and in that pm I asked the question. “ for real? Are you punk’n me?”
Last week I get an email from TEMU and they stated. Free shipping, 90% off
We are not punk’n you
I saw that and knew exactly where that came from

Latest posts

Back