Silly me pounds in quarts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pint is a pound.... one ounce of water by volume = one ounce of water by weight.

Quart, pint is a volume measurement. As long as what you are working with is water it can be measured by volume and as weight at the same time.

However, a pound of feathers will have a different volume than a pound of water. It's close but not the same. Another way to say it... a quart of water doesn't weigh the same as a quart of feathers. Or, a quart of strawberries doesn't weigh the same as a quart of blackberries. The strawberries are denser and will weigh more by volume.

This is the exact problem I face when making tinctures. (volume tinctures). To get around this sticky issue*... I weigh my plant material then add twice that weight of menstrum which = a 1-2 ratio. I'm not concerned with the volume (size of the jar).

What exactly are you trying to measure? It might be easier to figure out if I knew the goal/purpose of your measuring.

*sticky issue - fuzzy math for people who don't know math. I do know math so fuzzy math gives me a headache... 🤣

Last edited:
the rule i mentioned pretty much applies to everything. i tested it out on various things and some its less and some its more..but all in all its a rule of thumb.

also after canning for years and my rule is a 5 gallon bucket of produce breaks down into 3.5 gallons on about everything...rough rule of thumb ya know.

I'm female of Corse I have a bathroom scale .🤣
WHY?
NM. LOL
At lighter weights they can be pretty accurate. just put a container on it, then calibrate it to 0 and add what you need to measure. :)

I'm wondering what it tastes like. I'm intrigued!

Now I'm wondering what peach/orange/mango/banana/cantelope
would taste like.

<----:p I love gummy yummies. LOL

Latest posts

Back