Sink by toilet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayoutwest

Friend
Neighbor
Anyone ever seen a sink right by a toilet like this? The bathroom also has a normal sink. I’m not sure I like the implications. :oops:
IMG_5263.jpeg

Many years ago, I saw a report on a "scientific study" which determined that any object within 6' of a toilet would be covered by funky molecules every time the toilet was flushed. That sink is mighty close to the toilet... doesn't look very sanitary to me. I've never even seen a sink in such a location, and that includes 5 years spent living in Europe. 😒

Many years ago, I saw a report on a "scientific study" which determined that any object within 6' of a toilet would be covered by funky molecules every time the toilet was flushed. That sink is mighty close to the toilet... doesn't look very sanitary to me. I've never even seen a sink in such a location, and that includes 5 years spent living in Europe. 😒
Close the toilet lid before you flush helps prevent germs from flying around.

That sink is so weird. Why does it seem to be in a cabinet?

If the bath already has a sink... i'd rip the green one out. Use the space for a linen closet.

As to why it's like that... The room looks like combo of construction at different times for different reasons. Maybe years ago there was a medical need of some type that required a sink while sitting.

Maybe during later construction phases... it was easier or less expensive to leave the sink than change all the plumbing underneath the house and remove it.

Have you looked at the hidden plumbing? It may be a hodge podge reflecting changing needs over time. Might be time to rip it all out and start over.

Anyone ever seen a sink right by a toilet like this?..

Yeah, that is. Really bizarre.. They could have Easily routered / cut it into the Top of the 'cabinet' (?) and then plumbing would have been easier, direct I/O the wall.. Oh well.. (..And ya dang sure better Not be more than about 105 lbs, or yer gonna need a winch / motor to extricate ya Outta that crevasse! :eek: ;)

I have seen sinks on top of toilets. ..
View attachment 114729

..Ah, what will the GreenZommies think of next.. :rolleyes: A 'novel idea', and all, but.. Just wait till some 6 y.o. (or severely-drunk Adult.. o_Ogets the two 'bowls' Confused.. OMG.. I can just see / hear it now..

''..I Am SOooo sorry! *hick* Yanno, I was thinking: Wow, I've never seen a toilet with such a high Footrest! ..Th' Seat was kinda uncomfy, tho..' 💩 ;)

jd

My best guess is, if somebody is using Depends and pooping and peeing in them, the sink next to the toilet would be essential when you have to handle them.
And I'd bet that the cabinet encloses the can that they go it, to keep it from stinking up the bathroom.
Spend some time with older, incontinent people. :(
Does that make sense yet?

Ugh, that reminds me of the drunk tank in the Blackhawk County jail. The drinking fountain was on top of the toilet tank and there was no lid on the toilet seat. I can't express to you how disgusting that is when you wake up in the tank with cotton mouth and a raging hangover. I think I drank a couple mouthfuls and then puked, and had to choke down more water...

When I was in labor with my son, the room had a toilet that would drop down from the wall and then to flush it you would lift the bowl back to the wall. I guess to maximize space as the room was so small but it reminded me of a jail.

My best guess is, if somebody is using Depends and pooping and peeing in them, the sink next to the toilet would be essential when you have to handle them.
And I'd bet that the cabinet encloses the can that they go it, to keep it from stinking up the bathroom.
My Hubby wondered if it was a handicapped assessable sink. 🥴
Ugh, that reminds me of the drunk tank in the Blackhawk County jail. The drinking fountain was on top of the toilet tank and there was no lid on the toilet seat. I can't express to you how disgusting that is when you wake up in the tank with cotton mouth and a raging hangover. I think I drank a couple mouthfuls and then puked, and had to choke down more water...
It’s to remind you to not get thrown in jail.
I've seen toilets like that with the sink on top in prisons, but made from stainless steel.
I kind of like that idea.

You guys seem very familiar with the trappings of jail.

Last edited:
My Bubby wondered if it was a handicapped assessable sink. 🥴

It’s to remind you to not get thrown in jail.

I kind of like that idea.

You guys seem very familiar with the trappings of jail.
Years ago my wife went to Denver to hire for an overseas contract. So out of boredom I took a job as an Iron worker. One of the jobs was a prison expansion, another job was at the Budweiser brewery.

..Young people sometimes do dumb things when they're having fun...

Aye, but Most people rarely learn to do "smart things" before Graduating with Full Honors (scars, etc) from the School of Hard Knocks & Derp. ;)

Yer in Good Company. :cool: (though, the only 'jail' I've ever been in was my First marriage, Oof... o_O ;)

jd

It looks like it would be very difficult for a fat person to sit on that toilet.
That's a tight space. No idea why the sink is there.

Long ago, I saw some blurb about a really obese guy who had to have custom toilets built to accommodate his weight... regular toilets would crack or explode under his weight, he had to have reinforced concrete pedestals. Just sayin'... I'm not one to "fat shame" people, this poor guy had some sort of glandular problem. :confused:

Something along these lines. A lot of older Asians used to keep a bowl of water and a sponge in the bathroom before the bidet was invented. Many over seas bathrooms still have a bucket of water in the bathroom.

Latest posts

Back