Slow growing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is any one else having issues with the higher temperatures? My tomatoes aren't ripening!
I read that the plants stop making Lycopene and Carotene when temps are high so that the fruit doesn't turn.
It's so hot in Texas this summer that I just gave up!! I have no garden right now. Will try again in the fall!!

It's been screaming hot here as well.
That said, I wasn't really expecting my tomatoes to be red in July. I don't put plants in the ground until Memorial Day (May 30th) so they're not even 2 months in the ground yet.
As you can see in the pics, they're approaching full size (Roma's) but probably won't turn red for another couple weeks.

Attachments

• Resized_20220725_123736.jpeg
    Resized_20220725_123736.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20220725_123817.jpeg
    Resized_20220725_123817.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20220725_123928.jpeg
    Resized_20220725_123928.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Resized_20220725_123837.jpeg
    Resized_20220725_123837.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1
Everything in my experimental garden has slowed down due to heat & drought, but we had some rain yesterday and I hope to see more this afternoon. Melon & hot pepper plants seem to be doing alright, got a few peppers slowly growing and the melon plant has many flowers, but no sign of fruit yet. Weed plants are holding steady, they stopped growing a week ago... one looked like it was dying, but it seems to have made a comeback after losing some leaves (which looked burnt to a crisp). The fruit trees are still holding steady, though the peach tree lost some leaves too... just too hot & dry, I guess. I'm gonna keep watering everything and hope for improvement in weeks ahead. We aren't seeing the same high temps that Pearl & others have seen lately, but we were in triple digits for awhile and now we're hovering up around 100 degrees, maybe the high 90s. I know I said this before, but I'll be glad when this summer is over... dunno why the heat has bothered me so much this year, I reckon I'm getting old, lol. :oops:

Yup having the same problem. Lots of beautiful big green tomatoes and hardly any of them are starting to blush. I’ve got one pale orange one. It’s on the windowsill ripening as we speak or as I type. We’ve been in the upper 90s for over a week, sometimes only dipping into the mid 70s overnight.

Latest posts

Back