Snare Cable Gauge.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am wanting to buy all the makings, fittings and tools to make snares.

The thing is that in this country wire snaring is illegal so you simply can't find dedicated snare supplies.
Also every thing is called different things.
Wire cable is wire rope here.
Ferrules are called either sleeves or swages.

Also here in Australia we are metric and none of the wire cable/ rope gauges at the hardware stores are labelled in fractional inches.

Yes, we have feral rabbits and hares....but then we have native wildlife like potaroo, bandicoots, which are roughly the same size.
We have feral goats and I guess wallabies would be as strong as a goat.
We have feral pigs and they would be as strong as a kangaroo.

Different cable strengths for those different sub-sets of animals.

Soft jaw leg holds are legal here but HOLY COW!! They're expensive.

Body traps here like Conibear aren't sold here.

Information would be appreciated.
Cheers.

I've done business with all these folks, buying assorted snare parts, snares built to order, traps. The snare shop has a beginner guide. Can't help with converting fractions to mm. I have a chart in a tool box somewhere?

Originally I bought several size snares just to see how each are made. Thereafter I bought parts and made my own. Snares are easy to make, the componets are basic, variations of course.

I have several Sleepy Creek traps, excellent quality.

Kaatz Bros. Lures - Trapping Supplies, Animal Traps, Lures, Baits, Urines, and Videos

The Snare Shop - Snares, Lures, Hunting, Fishing, Archery

Minnesota Trapline Products - Bridger Traps - Minnesota Brand

Sleepy Creek Manufacturing - Traps, Trap Setters and Trap Accessories

Last edited:
Last edited:
Any tv antennas left down under? Wire cables are used to anchor all sorts of radio and tv antennas.

Here, good snares are made from whats called "Air Craft Cable". It's used on sail boats, small aircraft. I can buy any size steel cable by the spool.

I found this cable buying guide... Wire cables are used in many applications besides snaring. I'm sure the cables you need are in your country, just under other names.

The Complete Buyer's Guide to Wire Rope: Which Type is Best for Your Project? They also have a chart. Shame it doesn't go to the small sizes for snares. My biggest snares are 1/8 inch, small is 1/32. I think I have a few 3/64ths. Anyway, this site might give you ideas for other sources of wire cable.

wire rope.jpg

Here is my shopping list for an order of trapping supplies I placed some years ago. Just to give you an idea of what I was buying. I was just starting out and had no clear idea of what I needed. Some of these items I could have skipped. But I treated it as a learning experience so I bought some items for experimentation.

Kaatz Bro Lures 815-273-2344

1. New Millennium Trapping 1X $34.95
2. Productive Snaring Techniques 1X $34.95
3. Coyote Urine 32 oz 1X $10.00
4. Beaver Lure - 16 oz 1X $45.00
5. Plum River Call Lure 4 oz 1X $15.00
6. Toxi-Dog Predator Curiosity Lure 16 oz 1X $45.00

$184.90
$189.80 actual price

F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post 989-727-8727

1. Snare Shop Mink/Squirrel Snare $12.95 1 doz
2. Quick Links $15.80 4 doz small $23.80 4 doz large
3. #1 Sleepy Creek Double Jaw Coil Spring Trap 6X $51.95
4. MB-450-FH 3X $43.50
5. #1 3/4 Sleepy Creek Offset Jaws Coil Spring Trap 3X $41.85
6. #1000 Sleepy Creek Double Spring Body Grip Trap 3X $73.50
7. Natural Wood Trap Dye 3X $9.75
8. Sheep's Wool 2X $7.90
9. Full Metal Jacket Trap & Snare Dip 1X $24.95 per gallon

$305.95

Cumberland's Northwest Trappers Supply 507-451-7607

1. Product ID: 18C100 1/8" Galvanized 1X $34.50
2. Product ID: mss6 Mini-Swivel #6 3X $14.40
3. Product ID: 9gsw 9 Gauge Support Wire 1X $16.95
4. Product ID: DSSW Double Stake Swivel 10X $6.50
5. Product ID: CFGCB Fish & Game Cookbook 1X $27.95
6. Product ID: BK1103 Adjustment of Leghold Traps 1X $12.00
7. Product ID: BK1106 99 Uses for Dead a Skunk 1X $6.00
8. Product ID: TANYHB Tan Your Hide Price: 1X $13.95

Welcome to F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post I forgot about these guys, tons of good info on snares and traps. They have everything you might need.

Last edited:
It will need to be converted to metric. 1/16" inch or 3/32" inch cable is a good all round cable. For something like a big hog. 5/32 is better. 1x19 cable is preffered

To make your own. I have used small nuts as ferulles. They will need annealed or they may crack. Heat them red with a torch and let cool. A lock can be made from a washer the size of a american penny. Drill a hole in the edge opposite of each other,a little bigger than the cable. Put the washer in a vice and bend it to about a 45 degree through the middle. You should have a swivel on the end away from the loop. A small piece of vynil tubing, about a inch long can be slid over the cable up near the loop. The tubing is used for a support. A piece of 11 guage wire is attached to a sapling or some such and a tail end comes out horizontally and goes into the tubing. This supports the snare above the trail.

A source of cable is brake line cable from a bicycle. Some salvage yards may have this.

Latest posts

Back