So called BARTER-TRADE items for Post-SHTF.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Looking here primarily for feed-back on what other countries have actually done or used post SHTF.

But feel free and encouraged to post anything "near" this subject.

I feel trade items should "also" be useful for me to use. Example: I have been purchasing "New" ZIPPO LIGHTERS for trade. I also have about 18 full 20# propane tanks for trade or for my needs (generator also runs on propane alternative fuel).

I've thought long and hard about bartering post-SHTF. Logistics is important. I just cannot imagine it working for us, no matter what we have to trade. There are about 10 homes within a one-mile radius, most of these are seasonal residences. If we wanted to barter, we have to possible trade in our closest town which is 5 miles one-way from us. How are we supposed to get our trade items to market without vehicles? (I really don't want to buy a horse or mule). And, I don't want to pack or wheelbarrow my stuff to town. Consequently, we'll prep with the stuff we need.

Old line seeds of edibles, canning supplies, dried beans, peas of any kind, we have a local 15 miles away that does a different VERY LARGE crop each year and sells them for 1/2 what you can get them wholesale we get about 40 pounds from him each year of whatever he has.
They come ready for the pot his children get them ready cull and washed when you get them, it is AMAZING, another neighbor grows at least 200 acres of corn and lets anyone self pick as much as they will use from a 40 acre spot till it is gone.

We are blessed with really good neighbors and family that garden and we do really very little of it.

Most of what I do is tractor work bush hogging, disking and such. Wife culls, picks, shells, blanches, and cooks to freeze for short term stuff and soup.

We buy a lot that we don't have to for convenience and need to stop doing that..

. And, I don't want to pack or wheelbarrow my stuff to town. Consequently, we'll prep with the stuff we need.
One of the reasons I shifted to New ZIPPO Lighters, that cost $14.75 delivered to my door.

If you're selling Zippo lighters you should probably also sell lighter fluid, wicks, and flints for them. But still, how do you plan to get the lighters to people who need them?
Yeah, that won't work for me.:(
A 5-pack of BIC lighters for $6 lasts me more than 2 years.
They are scattered EVERYWHERE and if SHTF today, I wouldn't need a lighter for 4+ years.:)
...And by then, there wouldn't be anything to smoke anyway.

If you're selling Zippo lighters you should probably also sell lighter fluid, wicks, and flints for them. But still, how do you plan to get the lighters to people who need them?

I have never known a wick to wear out, but you can get lighter fluid and flints on Amazon. I have several Zippo lighters and the corresponding fuel and flints. Wal Mart used to sell lighter fluid in small cans that would be a preferable size for barter.

From the war in Bosnia people said Alcohol and Cigarettes were the biggest barter items. They are both things that people are addicted to, so there would always seem to be a demand.

I would include toiletries. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Soap, Deodorant, Shampoo, Combs, Brushes, Razors, Feminine products etc. They are cheap, don't take up much space, and don't have a shelf life.

I fell into this, but I think it has merit: eyeglasses especially reading glasses. Much the same reasons. They have no shelf life. Don't take up much space. Always in demand. We have dozens of pairs just from saving what we have been using for the last thirty years.

I have never known a wick to wear out, but you can get lighter fluid and flints on Amazon. I have several Zippo lighters and the corresponding fuel and flints. Wal Mart used to sell lighter fluid in small cans that would be a preferable size for barter.
I have several Zippo lighters. Some have been converted to use a refillable butane insert and others were made to have the flame come out the side for lighting my pipes.

Ordered 3 rope lighters just today.

@Morgan101 all good stuff...rolling papers and pipes...even homemade ones.

If i was going to trade on into a shtf deal i will be growing crop of tobacco.

We all seen what happens to TP isle when plague hit...folks are going to want items to wipe their bum with.Cloth diapers....i think finger nail clippers will be a thing...young guy working for me when plague hit took wages and bought condoms and chewing tobacco....lol...said i dont want to be a dad at the end of the world.

OIP.UQwriGTD-aBoH9K5GiqAnwHaFU

a) SALT 👍

b) 'Liquor Trade-Paks', ie:

be4aaaa2d35cd680efcc05da1f87feb5
:cool:

..Details of (My concept / approach, at least..) here: https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/alcohol-prepping.14014/#post-394593 🤔

Yes, certainly the 'Viability' of trading / bartering is debatable ('Transaction Security' / avoiding a Trap, etc is the #1 concern, IMO..) but.. Seems prudent to Plan to be Able-to, at least, since 'PM's aren't really all that practical (save for maybe 'junk silver' / pre-1963 US coins, etc) and certainly 'risky', just as in days of Old..

Fwiw..
jd

Mousetraps. Yep. We have the cats, we have snap traps, and sticky traps. Recently bought two of the bucket traps. This morning, though, I found five mice drowned in a chicken water bucket in the coop. We use water buckets instead of chicken waterers, unless they're young chickens. So Nacho the cat was happy. He got to eat five drowned mice. That worked even better than the bucket mouse trap.

I have several Zippo lighters. Some have been converted to use a refillable butane insert and others were made to have the flame come out the side for lighting my pipes.

I did not have a good experience with the butane insert for my Zippo lighter. It died the first time it had to be refilled. It would not refill. I was very disappointed. The butane insert seemed like a great idea. You could use it with fluid or butane. I did not try another insert. Once burned twice shy, pun entirely intended. Maybe I should. I could have gotten a bad one. I hope they work better for you.

Ever since I have kept butane for butane and fluid for fluid. I have several lighters of each variety and the supplies to reload them. Oh yeah, and enough BIC lighters to supply the Chinese army. I kind of have a thing for lighters. :dunno:

Booze and cigs.:thumbs:
That would get you food from my pantry (stockpile).
Gold and silver would not.

I also believe that Booze will be very valuable. And for those that possess the knowledge to produce QUALITY booze they will be well off indeed

So. How do you make good booze?
Practice. And if you want be successful
Waiting till shtf to learn is very very foolish
Start today, when you can afford to trash a 15 gallon run

Waiting will put you in a bind for find the correct material

It must be stainless or copper. Or teflon

This one is a different lane for me, I figure that since I can build and repair, and am already a scavenge inventor (upcycling) it will be what will people barter to me for keeping their tools and or machines functional. I totally agree what you have extras of should be what you will use yourself

This one is a different lane for me, I figure that since I can build and repair, and am already a scavenge inventor (upcycling) it will be what will people barter to me for keeping their tools and or machines functional. I totally agree what you have extras of should be what you will use yourself
I have thought about what you do, because I also use junk yards as my playground. And fix most anything
My thoughts are that most people will repair their one stuff, but the niche I believe you and Ivwill fall into is the inside of things. Anyone can replace a pulley or a shaft
Our bread and butter will be what intimidates them. The mysterious inside the machine.

I did not have a good experience with the butane insert for my Zippo lighter. It died the first time it had to be refilled. It would not refill. I was very disappointed. The butane insert seemed like a great idea. You could use it with fluid or butane. I did not try another insert. Once burned twice shy, pun entirely intended. Maybe I should. I could have gotten a bad one. I hope they work better for you.

Ever since I have kept butane for butane and fluid for fluid. I have several lighters of each variety and the supplies to reload them. Oh yeah, and enough BIC lighters to supply the Chinese army. I kind of have a thing for lighters. :dunno:
My butane inserts work fine. I like them because they do not lose fuel. On the other hand, the liquid Zippos will dry out with time. Fill the lighter up, use it once, then come back a month or so later, it's dry as a bone. At least that is my experience.

I do like my Xikar lighter for cigars.

Depends on the situation. If the X75 solar flare hits and everything shuts down it wil be no bartering no leaving my safe place. If there is economic collapse and transport foul ups so a time of scarcity ensues then things that make it possible to accomplish what you want accomplished will have real value.
Check out medical services and supply in collapsed economys....Most people used to a better life want to maintain that life.......dentists are highly paid right now so if they suddenly werent able to live the good life would they trade services for things such as booze or a cheap, running generator or a set of used tires that fit their car.....you betcha.
For example if you come up to a national guard checkpoint or road block on the only road leading to your place (mainly a administrative closure not a dire danger spot) and you want to get thru...... a few things such as paperback books, magazines (the hoochie koochie kind) and some small sealed bottles of commercial booze sitting on the open tailgait of your pickup has a very good chance of getting you thru slow ups or road blockages (at least it might work in montana). By offering things of high want or disire in a non blatant way many civil employees or people who normaly wouldnt take you up on an offer that was technicly illegal might go along.
As in fine dining a lot depends on presentation and atmosphere, a handshake where you have a coin or bills in your hand that gets transferred to the other parties hand could be much more effective than blatant efforts of bribery.

My butane inserts work fine. I like them because they do not lose fuel. On the other hand, the liquid Zippos will dry out with time. Fill the lighter up, use it once, then come back a month or so later, it's dry as a bone. At least that is my experience.

I do like my Xikar lighter for cigars.

All true. The new Zippo lighters are no where near as good as the old ones. I had one I carried for thirty years. Refilled it about once a month. Sadly that was confiscated by the TSA. The new Zippos have to be refilled about once a week. For me it is a Saturday morning ritual. Refill the Zipo lighter in m EDC bag.

Maybe I will try another butane insert.

yea i just dont plan on bartering to be honest...unless..or until way down the road after first contact with the shtf deal. I will just sit still as long as possible and 'listen' to the world for a long while before i even venture out beyond my property.

that being said...a tank or bradley or whatever shows up in driveway gate...i am gone that instant into the wilds.

i just stock what i use daily,monthly and yearly.

Skills will be a very barterable item. Having the tools and supplies to accomplish those skills makes you more valuable. For example, if medicine is your skill, tape, bandages, aspirin and other meds, etc. will be invaluable.

Having a supply of lids would allow you to can their food for 50%. I know people that do that today. When the folks were commercial fishing they would bring salmon in to a friend. He would can it for half. He would either eat or sell his half. He had no shortage of customers. That was many years ago. I know a gal that does that today with fish and venison.

Yeah, that won't work for me.:(
A 5-pack of BIC lighters for $6 lasts me more than 2 years.
They are scattered EVERYWHERE and if SHTF today, I wouldn't need a lighter for 4+ years.:)
...And by then, there wouldn't be anything to smoke anyway.
There's always something to smoke.
If you know what to look for.

From the war in Bosnia people said Alcohol and Cigarettes were the biggest barter items. They are both things that people are addicted to, so there would always seem to be a demand.

I would include toiletries. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Soap, Deodorant, Shampoo, Combs, Brushes, Razors, Feminine products etc. They are cheap, don't take up much space, and don't have a shelf life.

I fell into this, but I think it has merit: eyeglasses especially reading glasses. Much the same reasons. They have no shelf life. Don't take up much space. Always in demand. We have dozens of pairs just from saving what we have been using for the last thirty years.
Alcohol and cigarettes are almost always the hottest items to barter.
Chocolate is another item for some reason.
Chewing gum was also popular.

Latest posts

Back