So called BARTER-TRADE items for Post-SHTF.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends how complicated one wants to make post SHTF life, I have lived a simple off grid life for many years before and post SHTF will do again.
KISS principle, keep it stupidly simple.
bartering may be possible in a larger population but I already live in a low population rural area and post SHTF it will be even lower, I may even be the last one left alive in my area. dosent bother me I like being alone.
my recent ancestors lived without a lot of what I already have, and thrived, modern people have too much STUFF, most of which will not work post SHTF.
I know you plan on being the last man alive on your island, or at least the last in that area of your island. Don’t count on others just rolling over and dying, the will to live exists in every plant and animal. I have lived similarly to you. My age and wife don’t allow that option.

I do know enough people who feel the apokalypse has started if they haven't WiFi for longer than 10 minutes...
If the worst case really happens and the shopping mall was cleared from TV's, AC's and whatever the masses realize there's no food neither. But if they hear you got things to barter i'm pretty sure they will help you to reduce your storages, if you agree or not.
Those people are coming to take what we have whether it is a cellar full of supplies or one can of beans. That’s why security (guns and ammo) are so important. I’d be interested in the gun laws in your country.

I’d be interested in the gun laws in your country.
If you're decent in the country where I live, you're allowed to own one thing or another, but not fully automatic things.
But you're not allowed to wear it on the street, and if you use it at home to protect yourself against burglars, you'll lose everything and go to jail.As for self-defense, it's almost impossible to fight for in court, every judge will tell you "how did you know he wanted to kill you?" in short, the burglar has to shoot you first before you can shoot him.

Even if you end up being in the right, which is rare, your weapons will be confiscated and you will have an entry in your papers about it and as long as this entry is in your papers, you will no longer be able to buy weapons.
You can also have one or two more serious traffic offenses such as driving 30 miles over the speed limit, and the police can then confiscate all your weapons.

Still questions?

If you're decent in the country where I live, you're allowed to own one thing or another, but not fully automatic things.
But you're not allowed to wear it on the street, and if you use it at home to protect yourself against burglars, you'll lose everything and go to jail.As for self-defense, it's almost impossible to fight for in court, every judge will tell you "how did you know he wanted to kill you?" in short, the burglar has to shoot you first before you can shoot him.

Even if you end up being in the right, which is rare, your weapons will be confiscated and you will have an entry in your papers about it and as long as this entry is in your papers, you will no longer be able to buy weapons.
You can also have one or two more serious traffic offenses such as driving 30 miles over the speed limit, and the police can then confiscate all your weapons.

Still questions?
Thanks, that gives me the general attitude in your country. When the police quit responding your things will be more valuable than ever. Read up on assault indicators so you can answer the judge knowledgeably.

Still questions?
Hey neighbour - maybe we need to tell them if an intruder got injured we can pay for him too after...
And the police, an topic for itself. If i call them now for help because there's an intruder in my house they will come earliest in 4 - 5 hours even they need to drive just 10minutes. And if you tell them the Intruder has an weapon the police arrives next day.
But if i call the police and tell them an drunken driver crashed the house they arrive in 5 minutes. Plus i get an fee for misinformations...

Thanks, that gives me the general attitude in your country. When the police quit responding your things will be more valuable than ever. Read up on assault indicators so you can answer the judge knowledgeably.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to answer the judge at all, you can't compare these judges here with judges in the USA.
If you stand in front of the judge for something like this, you've lost either way, they hate citizens who defend themselves with weapons, the Police also hate it, because they say that only you are allowed to do that.

Actually, it was over for me one way or another, after my Boat capsized in a Storm, my only two Weapons fell overboard in a Place in the lake that was about a 1 Mile deep.
The responsible Edi E Police Chief to whom I reported this was of course not happy that it happened like that and that these things became Fish Food forever, I then had to pay a fine for Water Pollution and that was it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to answer the judge at all, you can't compare these judges here with judges in the USA.
If you stand in front of the judge for something like this, you've lost either way, they hate citizens who defend themselves with weapons, the Police also hate it, because they say that only you are allowed to do that.

Actually, it was over for me one way or another, after my Boat capsized in a Storm, my only two Weapons fell overboard in a Place in the lake that was about a 1 Mile deep.
The responsible Edi E Police Chief to whom I reported this was of course not happy that it happened like that and that these things became Fish Food forever, I then had to pay a fine for Water Pollution and that was it.
We’re getting sidetracked off this thread but I guess on page 5 that is pretty normal. No matter what country you are in there are two battles when it comes to self defence. First you have to win the gun fight and then you need to win the legal battle. In some areas over here that is easier than others. In Alaska we are very pro self defence, both in the laws and the people. Even so I sat on a jury in a murder case where the jury would have awarded the defendant a medal and thrown the prosecutor in jail, were that within our power. All we could do is to say, not guilty. I have studied how to be ready for court. Many others on this site have as well. Lots around our country have as well, it’s part of my prepping.

Looking here primarily for feed-back on what other countries have actually done or used post SHTF.

But feel free and encouraged to post anything "near" this subject.

I feel trade items should "also" be useful for me to use. Example: I have been purchasing "New" ZIPPO LIGHTERS for trade. I also have about 18 full 20# propane tanks for trade or for my needs (generator also runs on propane alternative fuel).
I don’t know about other countries, but you’re on the right track for this one. I’ll recommend adding ammo, coffee and alcohol to the list.

I’m all for bartering. Post or pre SHTF

I've been scanning this thread, we all missed a VITAL prep to store:
INSECTICIDES!
Think of the fleas, lice, and crop-killing little varmints that will be going nuts without it!

most people over here dont have a clue, the govt here has just advised that people should keep 3 days worth of food and water at home just in case of emergencies, and what do the idiots do? they strip the shelves thats what!
in any case 3 days worth of food and water is miniscule if its SHTF, thats just enough for normal things like power cuts and storms.

I've been scanning this thread, we all missed a VITAL prep to store:
INSECTICIDES!
Think of the fleas, lice, and crop-killing little varmints that will be going nuts without it!
Insecticide as for as garden protection , I foresaw and stocked up on several years ago . I did open my last bag of insecticide yesterday , though that bag will last a couple of years , I do need to restock . Once the stores or gone so will be store purchased insecticide which for most folks will spell a failed garden which at such a time will = perishing .

Two of the most important organic garden sprays..bonide colorado potato bug killer and BT. just using tater bug killer a couple of years has resulted in several years of only spot spraying a few each season..i am talking less than a pint of mix too..not much.The active ingredient is spinosade and it smokes tater bugs!

I dont use insecticides I dont have any trouble with plant pests and diseases where I live and I prefer to eat food without any of those chemicals on it.

I dont use insecticides I dont have any trouble with plant pests and diseases where I live and I prefer to eat food without any of those chemicals on it.
But do you like fleas, mites, and bedbugs? I'm not big on toxins myself except for tequila, cigarettes, and potato chips.

But do you like fleas, mites, and bedbugs any of those either.
I have never had any of those my entire life and that includes my time living off grid.
I guess I'm just the clean living sort!:D

Last edited:
The reason there ain't none of them kritters up in Alaska is the skeeters don't tolerate the competition!!

I have never had any of those my entire life and that includes my time living off grid.
I guess I'm just the clean living sort!:D
Any of those varmints that could survive Alaska I don't want to tangle with anyway.

Back