So Now I'm Going To Have A Major Test Of Our Auto Insurance

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Our son that is now living on our property due to the unaffordability of a place to rent or buy in the Grants Pass area has been using our 2007 Tundra to move various things out here and was parked on the lefthand side of 6th avenue, a one way street and while he was inside a kitchen supply store looking for a knife sharpener, he heard a crash and when he went outside he found that the whole passenger side of our truck had been heavily damaged by an uninsured driver in a Dodge truck, the guy stuck around for all the pertinent information, at least he had the guts to do that. Anyway, since the truck was parked, thankfully with no one it it at the time of the accident, our son's insurance will not cover the accident, so now we'll see how good State Farm is going to work out, this is certainly not my idea of a fun thing to be doing, thankfully my son was inside at the time.

Sorry you have to deal with the aftermath... Once my folks were over 78 they had a couple minor benders, in a parking lot, less than 5mph. Didn't matter, statefarm started jacking their rates up.

Now dad pays 3 times the yearly rate that I do for the same liability package. Once you reach a certain age companies start raising the rates for any claim, no matter how minor. So be aware of what lurks ahead. :(

Sorry you have to deal with the aftermath... Once my folks were over 78 they had a couple minor benders, in a parking lot, less than 5mph. Didn't matter, statefarm started jacking their rates up.

Now dad pays 3 times the yearly rate that I do for the same liability package. Once you reach a certain age companies start raising the rates for any claim, no matter how minor. So be aware of what lurks ahead. :(
Yeah, we're feeling the older age squeeze, insurance rates continually on the rise and yes I know it's because I'm 80+ years of age.

As far as settling the claim, Whatever, they offer, turn it down. After their third or fourth offer to settle, decline and advise them you are turning it over to an attorney to deal with.

I had a claim, the insurance company wanted to settle for $1,200.00 I never actually got an attorney; I just strung them along. I accepted $17,500.00 (It was not a property claim, was the result of a shooting accident).

So how did it work out? Around here the Illegals slam and scram all the time and NOTHING gets done.

As far as settling the claim, Whatever, they offer, turn it down. After their third or fourth offer to settle, decline and advise them you are turning it over to an attorney to deal with.

I had a claim, the insurance company wanted to settle for $1,200.00 I never actually got an attorney; I just strung them along. I accepted $17,500.00 (It was not a property claim, was the result of a shooting accident).
That's not really how automotive claims work, unless you are referring to a total loss claim. On a 2007 Tundra, depending on the amount of damage it could be a total, but used car values are still really high. We totaled our first car in over nine months last week, that was a 2006 Buick Lucerne and even then, the clean retail value on that car was over $6000. That being said, @viking will have to take the truck to a shop and get an estimate put together on it, which will determine if the vehicle is a total or not. If it is repairable, then the shop will do the legwork getting the claim negotiated with State Farm.

We took the truck into the shop this afternoon, 55 mph was the maximum speed and even at that the steering wheel was very busy. The shop is going to take the truck into an alignment shop to see how badly the steering or frame may have been damaged, just a rough estimate was in the $8,000 area, interesting because we only paid $9,000 for the truck, thing is used Tundra trucks are in high demand around here and can sometimes be more expensive than a new truck, even with the 250,700 miles on the odometer people have sent us fliers wanting to buy our truck.

I planned to buy a new truck in '20, the vid derailed a lot of plans. I'd still like to buy new or a low mileage truck but prices are nuts here. My '02 silverado as 245K, bluebook is $8500. I'm not gonna pay $20K for a truck with 100K miles, thats the going rate.

I've no real choice but keep my truck. It's running but is due for a major tune up. Just spent $1100 on new tires. Today I priced a new O2 sensor (throws codes), checked on new plugs/wires, filters, fluids. About $400 but if the coil packs need replaced I could be out another $500. And that's if I do all the work myself. I think I'll have the coil packs checked in town before buying a new set.

Hopefully your truck can be fixed. Not a great time to be buying.

Last edited:
Well we got a phone call today from our insurance company, value of the truck $9,000, cost to repair $12,000, truck considered total and we get a check for near the price we paid. I just hate to think of all the uninsured drivers we all have to face when we are out on the road, makes things costly for those of us that have insurance. Hopefully we can come up with another Tundra close to what we had, if I was a number of years younger, I think I'd like to have the engine, tranny and rear end out of the 2007, it would be great for a hot rod.

Last edited:
Well we got a phone call today from our insurance company, value of the truck $9,000, cost to repair $12,000, truck considered total and we get a check for near the price we paid. I just hate to think of all the uninsured drivers we all have to face when we are out on the road, makes things costly for those of us that have insurance. Hopefully we can come up with another Tundra close to what we had, if I was a number of years younger, I think I'd like to have the engine, tranny and rear end out of the 2007, it would be great for a hot rod.
Search the net. I found my last 2 like that. Both 2008s

Well we got a phone call today from our insurance company, value of the truck $9,000, cost to repair $12,000, truck considered total and we get a check for near the price we paid. I just hate to think of all the uninsured drivers we all have to face when we are out on the road, makes things costly for those of us that have insurance.
That's not a big problem down here.
Any motorist that causes a wreck and doesn't have the required liability insurance here, likely will end up in jail serving time :oops:.
Edit: Even if they just pull you over, and you don't have 'proof of insurance' in your car, $500 fine.
If you didn't have insurance, $1,000 fine, and loss of registration, tag, and license for 180 days :oops:.

Last edited:
That's not a big problem down here.
Any motorist that causes a wreck and doesn't have the required liability insurance here, likely will end up in jail serving time :oops:.
Edit: Even if they just pull you over, and you don't have 'proof of insurance' in your car, $500 fine.
If you didn't have insurance, $1,000 fine, loss of registration, tag, and license for 180 days :oops:.

It's a huge problem here on the southern border.

Even if they just pull you over, and you don't have 'proof of insurance' in your car, $500 fine.

In addition to keeping registration and proof of insurance in the car, I keep a photo of both documents on my smart phone as well (for all of our cars). And I also have them up on my self-hosted cloud server so I can download from anywhere. I also have AAA cards, Driver's license's, Passports, Concealed Carry licenses, Medical Insurance cards, etc. up on my cloud server. My password management app's database is up there too (encrypted, of course). And user manuals - for everything I might need to use while "in the field". I can view these on my smart phone if needed.

manuals.png

It's a huge problem here on the southern border.
Send them here, we can fix that. :thumbs:
If they can't pay their fine, we will gladly show them what "work-release" is all about.
The sides of our roads are spotless and it is common to see crews of guys in orange jumpsuits picking up trash.:)
Enforcement matters.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I was driving home from town and came around a corner. A log truck was heading the other way and lost a log from the top of his trailer. I hit the log head on with my Jeep Rubicon. I managed to keep the Jeep upright but it did a lot of damage. If I remember right it did $13,000 in damage. I was very pleased with my insurance company. All I wanted was my Jeep fixed, and they did. The only problem was the windshield leaked and the shop forgot to bolt the winch down to the bumper.

We got a check from our insurance today, it covered what we paid for the 2007 Tundra, we also got a call from a salesman at the local Toyota dealership that told me about a 2008 Tundra that just came in on a trade in, so we went in and looked at it and took a test drive, not too bad of condition for 5 different owners and 232,000 miles, just needs a set of new tires, a taillight and probably both headlights assemblies, as usual the plastic lenses are really fogged up with little burn spots in front of the high beam lamps. We signed all the paperwork, they are doing a cleanup, lots of dog hair on the seats and it smelled really doggy. Costco has a sale on tires, it's still going to be spendy because the tires that are on the aluminum wheels are 275/70/18's. The truck runs and shifts really good, according to Car-Fax the vehicle has been regularly serviced, I've read about two 2007 Tundra's that got to a million miles, Toyota gave one of the guy's a new Tundra and tore down the engine, they said everything was still within tolerances, that says a lot to me of Toyota products and keeping up regular service.

Curiosity has me wondering if you're replacement vehicle is over the 9k insurance check?

Uninsured drivers are another growing problem in small towns all over? Especially rural areas flocked with migrant farm workers. I'm thankful that most of them are good drivers, especially when they are on the roads during harvest in old and under serviced but overloaded farm trucks. And this is not something that I am making up because I have experienced first hand how well maintained the big farm trucks are not!

The farmer that I was working for told me straight out, "I'm not responsible for tickets if you get caught overloaded". But I had no control over the harvest operator piling it on? And " the same goes for speeding tickets " but they are constantly pressing you to go faster and move more produce for longer days.

Good reason to avoid traffic at peak times and especially be reluctant to be on the roads during harvest. And look for neglected vehicles. Typically a mini van. Dirty. Dented. Cracked glass and under inflated tires...

We got a check from our insurance today, it covered what we paid for the 2007 Tundra, we also got a call from a salesman at the local Toyota dealership that told me about a 2008 Tundra that just came in on a trade in, so we went in and looked at it and took a test drive, not too bad of condition for 5 different owners and 232,000 miles, just needs a set of new tires, a taillight and probably both headlights assemblies, as usual the plastic lenses are really fogged up with little burn spots in front of the high beam lamps. We signed all the paperwork, they are doing a cleanup, lots of dog hair on the seats and it smelled really doggy. Costco has a sale on tires, it's still going to be spendy because the tires that are on the aluminum wheels are 275/70/18's. The truck runs and shifts really good, according to Car-Fax the vehicle has been regularly serviced, I've read about two 2007 Tundra's that got to a million miles, Toyota gave one of the guy's a new Tundra and tore down the engine, they said everything was still within tolerances, that says a lot to me of Toyota products and keeping up regular service.
Congrats on finding a suitable replacement so quickly. What style 2008 are you getting? Mine is a double cab long bed with the 5.7 engine.

Congrats on finding a suitable replacement so quickly. What style 2008 are you getting? Mine is a double cab long bed with the 5.7 engine.
Double Cab, 5.7 engine SR5 TRD, what a sweet sound it has with the duals.

Latest posts

Back