Solar on a Budget... or am I chasing a unicorn?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lead acid batteries do require more maintenance but the big plus is they are maintainable. Fresh electrolyte can be added / changed out. Water can be distilled. With proper maintenance, lead acid batteries can last a very long time. It is just that most people do not want to deal with the battery maintenance.
We add distilled water to our batteries once a month. No big deal. We also have a hygrometer to check the electrolyte strength a couple times a year.

I went with AGM on my initial system here. In just over a year I have a substantial drop in storage capacity. I will put a meter on each battery soon and see if one is dragging the others down or not, but because of this there is no doubt I will spend the extra money on lithium in the future. It is hard to justify the cost but I hate having to replace things, just seems wasteful.

I’ve been piecing together a 5 kWh array of used panels with two 5 kWh 100 amp LIFEPO batteries to pretty much power a outbuilding / shtf backup. The most expensive thing so far by far are the batteries. The inverter and panels and wiring were cheap in comparison. Just have to build the ground mount now in early spring but all the equipment is here just in case. Overall expensive but not crazy expensive prolly 6 grand so far and expandable with more inverters and panels if I want more in the future. Wind is a dream of mine. Anyone know a good turbine?

Gotcha. Just a thought I had while writing. I’ll look for the info.
You will also find a wealth of info just searching on Google at large on this topic. It is not done as commonly as PV panels, so it might take a little more digging to find the pay dirt.

I have not read all the responses you've all written...so if this has been asked, sorry.

I do not know squat about electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. But when I was at Harbor Freight I saw they had a complete line of gear for solar power. Does anyone have an opinion on cost, quality, or other???
Many Thanks,
Erqueen75:USA:

I have not read all the responses you've all written...so if this has been asked, sorry.

I do not know squat about electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. But when I was at Harbor Freight I saw they had a complete line of gear for solar power. Does anyone have an opinion on cost, quality, or other???
Many Thanks,
Erqueen75:USA:
. I have a couple of their solar electric fence chargers, They work as well as name brand.
It all depends on what you want to do. Charge your cellphone or run your 220 deep well pump.
They may run a tiny house application, but not a whole house. I don’t think they are geared for the big stuff. A small shed for lights, but that maybe it.
Most panels are made in China anyway, so my guess is quality will be close.

I have not yet spent a cent on a pv solar system. I have talked to a lot of people over the past five years. Most of them were not totallyl satisfied - I think the reason is that they did not have proper expectations of what a pv system will do. My suggestion - watch a lot of YT videos on the subject until you can speak "geek" on the subject - join with a local community college or adult ed program to see if they have classes. As part of a prep, you are ultimately the one who has to repair it. I think this is on instance when it is impossible to have too much knowledge.

Last edited:
Back