Sourdough starter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJenner

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
For the best sourdough starter (and I have failed at this several times) - I got on the King Arthur website

Day 1 - Combine 1 cup whole rye/pumpernickel or whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup cool water in a non-reactive container. Glass, crockery, stainless steel, or food-grade plastic all work fine for this. Make sure the container is large enough to hold your starter as it grows. Stir everything together thoroughly; make sure there's no dry flour anywhere. Cover the container loosely and let the mixture sit at warm room temperature for 24 hours

Day 2 - You may see no activity at all in the first 24 hours, or you may see a bit of growth or bubbling. Either way, discard half the starter (about 1/2 cup), and add to the remainder a scant 1 cup All-Purpose Flour, and 1/2 cup cool water (if your house is warm); or lukewarm water (if it's cold). Mix well, cover and let sit 24 hours on the counter

Day 3 - By the third day, you'll likely see some activity — bubbling; a fresh, fruity aroma, and some evidence of expansion. It's now time to begin two feedings daily, as evenly spaced as your schedule allows. For each feeding, measure out a generous 1/2 cup, once it's thoroughly stirred down. Discard any remaining starter. Add a scant 1 cup All-Purpose Flour, and 1/2 cup water to the starter. Mix the starter, flour, and water, cover, and let the mixture rest at room temperature for approximately 12 hours before repeating.

Day 4 - repeat day 3

Day 5 - the starter should have at least doubled in volume. You'll see lots of bubbles; there may be some little "rivulets" on the surface, full of finer bubbles. Also, the starter should have a tangy aroma — pleasingly acidic, but not overpowering. If your starter hasn't risen much and isn't showing lots of bubbles, repeat discarding and feeding every 12 hours on day 6, and day 7, if necessary — as long as it takes to create a vigorous (risen, bubbly) starter.

This recipe calls for initially whole grain flour as the wild yeast that gives sourdough starter its life is more likely to be found in the flora- and fauna-rich environment of a whole-grain flour than in all-purpose flour. What if all you have is all-purpose flour, no whole wheat? Go ahead and use all-purpose; you may find the starter simply takes a little longer to get going. Also, if you feed your starter on a long-term basis with anything other than the all-purpose flour called for here, it will probably look different (thicker or thinner, a different color) and act differently as well.

Not an expert here...

I was under the impression sour dough (like some regional beers) varied by location due to the type of yeast found in the air. Or so is the claim why sour dough bread in San Francisco is unique.

Re beer and yeast

The Princess and I attend a local beer brewing event to learn about brewing beer from experienced brewers. One fellow presented about collecting wild yeast using jars in the garden etc. He claimed to have collected a few unique varieties of yeast. He was quite a character leaning toward down right weird. The Princess and I agreed he may have tried out one two too many versions. :confused2:

Ben

I have made starters several times in my life. The best ones are grown in the flour you are going to use.
When you have a good starter feed it and spread it on a sheet pan with waxed paper. Get it as thin as you can and let it dry completely. Once dry I break it into small chips and put it in a small paper envelope and store it in the rear of the pantry where it is cool and dark.
If you need to use it take a healthy tablespoon of chips and mix it thoroughly into a cup of flour and a cup of warm water. It should proof in the first day or after being fed the second day. It's ready to use.

I have made starters several times in my life. The best ones are grown in the flour you are going to use.
When you have a good starter feed it and spread it on a sheet pan with waxed paper. Get it as thin as you can and let it dry completely. Once dry I break it into small chips and put it in a small paper envelope and store it in the rear of the pantry where it is cool and dark.
If you need to use it take a healthy tablespoon of chips and mix it thoroughly into a cup of flour and a cup of warm water. It should proof in the first day or after being fed the second day. It's ready to use.
That's great I didn't know that! Thanks for the info I will try this.

I too didn't know this. Thanks! I never would start a starter cause we are not that big of bread eaters. But if I do it your way, I can start one, dry it and use it the following day for bread?

I too didn't know this. Thanks! I never would start a starter cause we are not that big of bread eaters. But if I do it your way, I can start one, dry it and use it the following day for bread?

Sourdough starter once fed will keep on the counter for one or two days without feeding. It will keep in the fridge for about two weeks before it has to be warmed and fed. I like putting my starter in the fridge because that gives it more sourdough flavor. when I was making bread every day I had two starters going all the time. I kept one in the fridge and one on the counter. When I make bread I mix the bread and let it sit in the fridge overnight before warming it back to room temperature and letting it rise. When the dough goes into the fridge I exchange the starters (fed) and use the alternate starter for the next day.

If you make bread (or hot cakes or cinnamon rolls) twice a month then just keep your starter in the fridge after feeding. Take it out the night before and feed it and make your dough or batter and put both the remaining starter and your dough in the fridge. in the morning take the dough out and let it rise and bake it.

A trick I use in pancakes is to add a teaspoon of baking powder just before I fry the cakes. This makes them fluffy instead of leathery like when I am camping.

@Weedygarden - I'm interested to hear if you have success with this. I've tried to keep a GF sourdough starter going a number of times, but have never been able to keep it alive for very long - so it's basically making a new starter for every batch which is a pain...

Thank you!
Use buckwheat flour!
Have you tried it?
@Weedygarden - I'm interested to hear if you have success with this. I've tried to keep a GF sourdough starter going a number of times, but have never been able to keep it alive for very long - so it's basically making a new starter for every batch which is a pain...
Thank you. Interesting.

Latest posts

Back