Southbound geese over Texas!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sympathies on their presence, it is a great celebration when they leave Ohio.
I used to work with a place just east of Cleveland where the geese nested. Nasty critters! One pair made a nest in the middle of the main drive shutting it down.

They eventually found a solution. They paid a woman to walk her dog on the grounds.

Ben

I had saw 2 circling earlier in the day, like normal. But there were lined up like geese and headed directly south. Never noticed them do that before
There are a lot of buzzards in my area and I've never noticed that either. I'll Google it and see if that's normal!

There are a lot of buzzards in my area and I've never noticed that either. I'll Google it and see if that's normal!
Ok, googled it!! Buzzards, (turkey vultures) do migrate south. Usually to our southern states and Mexico. I guess that's why I've never seen it, your buzzards are coming here!! I'll be sure to take good care of them Bacpacker, may have to run over small woodland animals to make roadkill!

Ok, googled it!! Buzzards, (turkey vultures) do migrate south. Usually to our southern states and Mexico. I guess that's why I've never seen it, your buzzards are coming here!! I'll be sure to take good care of them Bacpacker, may have to run over small woodland animals to make roadkill!
Pretty sure they migrate away from here too. Some stragglers but I don’t usually see them in the cooler months. There’s a useful bird app you can use from Cornell University. I had it on my other phone.

Just had a flock of geese headed south through here. It's kind of late.

In the V formation the leader does most of the work. The ones behind get lift from its disturbed air. As the leader tires one from the back comes forward and takes the lead. The once leader drops back one space and uses the lift from the new leader. The next time that bird is leader it drops back on the other side to give the other wing a rest.

Just had a flock of geese headed south through here. It's kind of late.

In the V formation the leader does most of the work. The ones behind get lift from its disturbed air. As the leader tires one from the back comes forward and takes the lead. The once leader drops back one space and uses the lift from the new leader. The next time that bird is leader it drops back on the other side to give the other wing a rest.
Great info!! A lot of late geese still coming over here lately!!

This story has outraged some people. I am quite sure that there are few needy families that would have no clue about how to cook a goose and would probably not eat any if someone else cooked it for them. My family had them for holiday meals.
There are geese in Denver who never leave and make messes. I think there are many less geese in the area now that they keep culling them.

Chef Eric Skokan Thinks Denver Geese Plan Could Take Off

Denver culls Canada geese to feed 'needy families' - BBC News
"The US city of Denver is culling Canada geese and donating their meat to "needy families" in an effort to tackle a rising population of the birds. Officials say the birds have destroyed vegetation, created sanitation issues and caused increasing "human-wildlife conflicts" in the Colorado city. Jul 3, 2019"

Last edited:
This story has outraged some people. I am quite sure that there are few needy families that would have no clue about how to cook a goose and would probably not eat any if someone else cooked it for them. My family had them for holiday meals.
There are geese in Denver who never leave and make messes. I think there are many less geese in the area now that they keep culling them.

"The US city of Denver is culling Canada geese and donating their meat to "needy families" in an effort to tackle a rising population of the birds. Officials say the birds have destroyed vegetation, created sanitation issues and caused increasing "human-wildlife conflicts" in the Colorado city. Jul 3, 2019"
They are overpopulated, they need to be eaten!!

As of one time maybe 20 years ago they were protected on their nesting grounds.

Nasty critters.

Ben

As of one time maybe 20 years ago they were protected on their nesting grounds.

Nasty critters.

Ben
I don't know about this area. It is possible that these nesting grounds were protected, but man, it had gotten ridiculous. Some dogs want to lick up all of the droppings those birds leave. It made walking dogs in some parks very difficult.

My g grandparents lived by a lake. Since they regularly had 30 people for Sunday dinner (their own 13 children, some in laws, and others), one of the sons would go to the lake and get geese, ducks or whatever he could to add to the menu.

I don't know about this area. It is possible that these nesting grounds were protected, but man, it had gotten ridiculous. Some dogs want to lick up all of the droppings those birds leave. It made walking dogs in some parks very difficult.

My g grandparents lived by a lake. Since they regularly had 30 people for Sunday dinner (their own 13 children, some in laws, and others), one of the sons would go to the lake and get geese, ducks or whatever he could to add to the menu.
That's cool that he was able to put some wild game on the menu. Goose is kind of nasty though. Like greasy liver meat, but from a critter that's been eating out of the mud its whole life...

So they are on the move from up north to down here! Some leave earlier than others🤔😀

Probably because everyone is shooting at them up here. lol.

Latest posts

Back