Stop the Bleed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dademoss

What I specialized in is oboslete
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Are you prepared to stop a major bleed, especially if you live away from emergency services?

Ran across this story today, and it's a great example of someone being prepared to take action, and having the gear that was needed.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... isappeared

"The bones in one of his legs from the knee down were shattered entirely, severing the critical arteries that send blood to the calf and foot. All of his toes on both feet were also broken. Sessin was losing a lot of blood – and quickly.

Still conscious, Sessin said that’s when the good Samaritan came to his aid.

“It was a bystander. That’s what we’re assuming. And if it’s not a bystander, it’s an officer or a fireman,” said Jenny Sessin, Tony’s wife of 38 years. “Someone put a tourniquet on my husband’s leg, and it saved his life. I don’t care how you look at it. He’s alive. He might not have a leg in the end, but he’s here, and he’s alive. And we want to thank you personally from the bottom of our hearts. Please come forward so we can thank you.”

The deployment of the tourniquet helped slow the bleeding, buying precious time to get Sessin to the trauma center. Jenny Sessin said Tony believes it was a bystander who used the tourniquet because both police and fire officials said the tourniquet was already in place when they arrived."

https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/class/search

It may not be a motorcycle crash, but we all know the hazards on a homestead.

The story said the accident wasn't his fault, maybe the tourniquet was put on by the person who caused it and they don't want to be known. I've seen it happen before. Glad the guy is doing ok.

The story said the accident wasn't his fault, maybe the tourniquet was put on by the person who caused it and they don't want to be known. I've seen it happen before. Glad the guy is doing ok.

Smart of you to think of that Terri.:cool::)

I've had basic first aid in the Boy Scouts and as an adult, college credited first aid courses.

I was the first one on the scene of a motorcycle accident. I found the motorcycle Driver fully conscious and sitting against a fence. From the unusually way his leg was bent I knew it was broken. No blood on his pant leg and he was totally responsive to my questions. His complexion wasn't pale (shock) and if there was any bleeding it was internal, I figured body mass was keeping any bleeding in control. Ambulance was 5 minutes out.

County Deputy was the next to arrive. Deputy used a road flare and a belt as a tourniquet for the Driver's "bent" leg. Driver ended up losing his leg.

To this day I wonder if inaction on my part (no tourniquet) risked the Driver's well being or the Deputy caused the loss of the leg?

Latest posts

Back