Storing Chocolate

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleJoe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I experiment with things to see how long they keep.

Here is a Dark Chocolate bar I vacuum sealed in 2012. 5 years later there is no sign of the butterfat separating from the chocolate.

P1010837.JPG
P1010837.JPG

That's awesome. I also have some dark chocolate vacuum sealed, but I left mine in the original packaging with just a couple pin pricks. So I can't see the actual bar. Good to know it will likely survive for a long time.

but I left mine in the original packaging with just a couple pin pricks. So I can't see the actual bar. Good to know it will likely survive for a long time.

I took the paper covering off and left the gold foil on. That faint whitish line down the middle is where the edge of the foil was laying.

Frozen chocolate is tasty. Dark chocolate is tasty. Milk chocolate is tasty. Semi sweet chocolate is tasty. Unsweetened chocolate is edible. One of the sure signs that my brain chemistry is off (post closed head injury) and I have been pushing myself too hard is an insatiable craving for chocolate in all forms. A pound of it can take the edge off.

I’d love to try sealing it and saving it but I am not sure I would have the discipline to keep it.

Keeping oxygen away from chocolate will keep it from turning white and low temps will keep it from separating. Vacuum sealed chocolate should keep forever as long as it is kept below 60F. That means you can vacuum seal it and bury it and it will still be good after ten years and the bear digs it up and eats it. ;)

Frozen chocolate is tasty. Dark chocolate is tasty. Milk chocolate is tasty. Semi sweet chocolate is tasty. Unsweetened chocolate is edible. One of the sure signs that my brain chemistry is off (post closed head injury) and I have been pushing myself too hard is an insatiable craving for chocolate in all forms. A pound of it can take the edge off.

I’d love to try sealing it and saving it but I am not sure I would have the discipline to keep it.

Buy some good cocoa powder and make your own. It's easier to store the cocoa. The family won't sneak in and eat your stash.

Latest posts

Back