Storing Flour

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When I open a pack of flour, I put it in a plastic tub with some bay leaves.
A fairly newish bag, when I went to use it yesterday, had evidence of weevils. Now, maybe they were in it already when I tipped it in-but was wondering if you folks have any good tips so I can prevent it again?

For years I have taken the 5lb bags and stacked a few in the freezer leave for a week then remove let warm up then repeat.
After that I put two non scented bags in a 5 gal sealable bucket pour flour in bags seal each of the double bags in the bucket and slap down lid.
Next is do the freezer thing then take vacuum sealer cut a bag that the 5lb bag of flour will fit and vacuum seal down . stack in a heavy duty tote container with heavy snap lock lids and label the top of the tote on what you have inside and date. You don't want to move that thing after its full.

We freeze ours for a week or two. Sometimes we put them in milar bags and sometimes right in a bucket. I don't think we have had weevils.

Yup, that's what we do, once in the freezer for a couple of weeks it comes out, then vacuum sealed with a small O2 absorber and then into into a milar bag inside a 5 gallon food grade bucket with O2 absorbers.

We always bought flour in a 20 kilo bag as that was the cheapest.. When on sale we would buy 3-4 bags.. Put only 1 bag in a very secure rodent proof tote.. Let sit over winter in the un heated shed.. Bring in and repackage in about 3 kilo size bags for the freezer if necessary.. From the freezer to the kitchen container.. This always worked well..

Latest posts

Back