Story - New World

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I haven't been spending much time here lately and I haven't been doing any writing for a long while. It has been cold and wet here for many days and I ran out of projects to work on in the shop. So I decided a couple days ago to see if I could still write a story. This is the result but it is very short and not edited or had a proof-read so expect many errors.

Attachments

• New World.pdf
    162.5 KB · Views: 0
Great story! I read it nonstop, cover to cover, so to speak, lol. Don't sweat the minor errors in spelling & grammar, those can be dealt with now that your story is done... that's what writers do, go back and improve upon what they have already written. Hell, I go back and improve upon simple posts here at this website, lol. Great read though, Hiwall, it drew me right into that 'New World' which some of us hope to never see, but prepare for anyway. 😬

I liked the bit about wounds being fatal... in the days of the hardy pioneers, some folks died after simple accidents like an ax glancing off a log and injuring a foot or leg. Septic poisoning would set in and they'd die... and that was just one way to go. Folks were thrown from horses, bitten by snakes, drank foul water, the whole nine yards! Plenty of ways to die in the wilderness when a person is just starting out and doesn't have a whole lot of experience that way. :oops:

Also, great reference to the rifle as the weapon of choice! As a former Infantry soldier, and also as a hand who grew up with firearms and learned to use them early on (even before the Aarrrrghmy), I've had that discussion with friends and strangers many times. In such a situation, I would ALWAYS choose a rifle over any pistol or shotgun, even though those weapons can also be useful. If you're gonna carry ONE weapon, make it a rifle, as it can reach out and touch someone, and still perform other useful acts. ;)

Remember the riots in South Central L.A. back in the day? I remember seeing coverage of those riots, where store keepers climbed atop their roofs to protect their property... and just about every last one had a lever-action carbine or semi-automatic rifle, lol. Why? Because THAT was the best tool for the job, hands down. Sure, carry a sidearm or keep a shotgun handy as well, but ALWAYS have a rifle when it comes down to ugly business. :confused:

GREAT READ, MAN!!! KUDOS TO YOU!!! YOU HAVE A NATURAL TALENT FOR TELLING A GOOD STORY!!! 😎

P.S. After reading that story, I'd like to see a sequel! Or a continuation of the saga! It was much better than most of the post-apocalyptic cr@p ya see on TV, lol. No lie, I have no reason to lie to you, lol. Keep up the good work! Cheers! 🍺

Latest posts

Back