... Superstitions ...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never chew gum at church.
Never walk over a grave after the noon hour.
Him that do not share his weed, will one day find himself in need.
Picking any coin up on tails.
Not drinking on Sunday until sundown.
Burning brush on Sunday will put your face in the moon.
a "Lucky" Dollar always comes home.
black cats.
To run the devil off after a black cat crosses your path, stroke it from tail to head, then spit in the road.

There is a superstition among sailors to never make split pea soup, it is called "storm soup".

It was a beautiful summer day without a crowd in the sky. The tug I was on was towing an oil barge around S.E. Alaska. I really wasn't much into the superstitions so I made a big pot of Storm Soup. We pulled into a logging camp and were pumping off a few thousand gallons of diesel. I was out on deck enjoying the sun when I noticed a small dark cloud , about twice the size of the barge and tug, drifting low down the channel. It stopped immediately above the boat and barge, then started raining. That was the last storm soup I ever made aboard ship.

Shadow disagrees with black cats ;)
Shadow.jpg

The black cat thing was originally only applicable to the clergy and support staff since the Church automatically fingered black cat owners as witches, but the Church was much harder on "traitordorre" than laymen. being flayed, drawn and quartered, and burned alive was pretty bad luck!

We love a black cat in this house too- meet Bucky.
Bucky 2020.JPG

I do have an unlucky black cat story though!
Years ago I was just pregnant with my second and waiting to meet some biker friends to go to a rally in another part of the country. I waiting by my car, when a black cat crossed the road in front of me- 3 times, in half an hour. I wanted to go home; my husband thought I was nuts, so we carried on. An hour later, driving through hills, some guy behind me I didn't know saw the lights of a taxi in his mirror and panicked because he wasn't legit and thought it was the cops. He overtook me on the outside, as I was pulling in to park. He hit my sidee mirror, sailed over the bonnet and disappeared, and his bike hit a wall and burst into flames. Cue a load of bikers peeing on it to put it out 🤣 I burst into tears, being emotional when pregnant, but the biker was ok, sitting on the far side of the wall having a cig and waiting for the commotion to die down.
I am cautious when I see someone else's black cat crossing while I'm driving now. ;)

Bad luck to see an owl during the day.
Well I have to agree with that one. I was backpacking with a friend and had set up camp. While messing around before cooking supper we saw an owl on a limb just out from my tent. Next morning during pouring down rain another friend of ours hiked in to get me. Told me my wife had a car wreck and was in the hospital, but wouldn't say what was wrong. Hardest hike I've ever made getting out that day. She was in ICU with a broken neck.

Seeing an owl in daylight...
I can attest to that one in a way... I lost a dozen or so laying hens in broad daylight.. Head, feet, full skeleton fully intact with all the meat gone lost to a great horned owl about 60 cm high, 24", with a wing span of about 1.5 m, 5'..... I ...took care of business... with my 22 rifle and no more lost hens..

What if you hear an owl during daylight? I did recently.
What’s all this “knock on wood” stuff? Where I work everyone has this suspicion that if you say it’s been quiet (not busy), and ya don’t knock on wood, we’ll get slammed with busy. As a culture that one’s been around a long time.
Black cats, I love ‘em. “Don’t cross a black cat” might also mean don’t make them angry.
ER and police, hospitals…is it really worse on a full moon? I know enough nurses and doctors that say it is true.

What if you hear an owl during daylight? I did recently.
What’s all this “knock on wood” stuff? Where I work everyone has this suspicion that if you say it’s been quiet (not busy), and ya don’t knock on wood, we’ll get slammed with busy. As a culture that one’s been around a long time.
Black cats, I love ‘em. “Don’t cross a black cat” might also mean don’t make them angry.
ER and police, hospitals…is it really worse on a full moon? I know enough nurses and doctors that say it is true.
A lot there @Patchouli .

Knock on wood

Spirits were believed to live in trees. Knocking would wake them up to make something happen.

Ben

Yep, friday nights in an ER when there's a full moon! Chaos. The worst was santa anna winds in los angeles during a full moon. Either was bad but both???

I agree with an owl being bad in daylight. Found a great horned owl, broken wing. I was a kid so i took it home nursed it a few days. He got out of his pen, was on the ground and i'm trying to 'herd' him. He leaped up and with one foot grabbed my stomach (muscle in those days). All 4 talons and hung on!!!! Yep, convinced me he wanted freedom. 🤣

Seeing an owl at night might be good or neutral. Used to play music on a friends back deck in summer. An owl would always came and listen, no bad luck or good, neutral. Or it could have been the lights got the bugs moving… and rodents. Either way, we didn't mind if he didn't! 😁

We had a black cat once. When I was a little kid. We snagged it out from under the house at my grandparents farm. We named her "Cutie". Then we found out that she was a he. You can't easily tell on cats 'ya know, they're not exactly masculine. The vet pointed out what we should look for. We still couldn't see 'em. Then the vet nipped them off. Poor cutie. He had dandruff. Which looks like hell on a black cat. He was not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. One time he crawled up under the hood of the car to get warm on the engine. Then we drove off. There was so much squealing that we stopped immediately thinking the car was going to explode. The cat dropped out. Bald as a billiard ball. But other than that, it was fine. The hair eventually came back. So did the dandruff. He bit me once.

I think this animal is why I became more of a dog person than a cat person.

"Red sky at night Shepherds delight, Red sky in the morning Sailors warning" old saying.
== ==
WOW... This one is really true... When I lived in the ...far frozen north... red bottoms on the high clouds meant the wind would change and bad weather was coming down from the Yukon.. You might have a few hours or as little as 10 minutes warning..

Latest posts

Back