Supply shortages

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks backpacker. the hay-ers here are having similar problems---not going very well,

an agriculture show i listen to now and then said the farmers and ranchers are hurting bad. the average cattle sent for processing this time of year on average was 400-500 a week. it is now 5000 a week cause there is no food and in some places no water for the herds. they are selling off what they can but it takes 2 years to get a herd back.

it seems everyone growing-raising food is hurting everywhere and we got some tough times ahead.

Just earlier today watched a video backing up what Backpacker and Jazzy just said , also can personally confirm what Angle-nrs said about medical professionals refusing to have their bodies altered by the shot . --- Perhaps it is garbage but perhaps it is not , something about the planet Jupiter coming into some kind of alignment creating a gravitational field here on earth that will continue to cause havoc on our climate for years " destroying much of earth's food supply . Maybe some of you have more insight on the Jupiter information .

Eventually - like in 3 or 4 billion years - the earth will be roasted by the swelling sun. It will devour Mercury, then Venus, then the Earth while warming Mars to a comfortable 80F. It won't last because the Sun will collapse into a white dwarf and the solar system will freeze completely.

Hopefully, I will be living in another solar system.

So the other day I went and picked up an upright freezer to replace our chest freezer that quit. I ended up getting one that had arrived in the store and hadn't made it out to the floor yet. As we were loading it, there was a fella picking up maybe a dishwasher (judging on size so don't know). He asked how long it took for me to get it. He said he had ordered the piece he was getting back in May. I've noticed lots of bare spots in lots of stores - not just groceries.

This morning looking for a rattle can at HD
IMG_3835.jpg

I (And I hate to admit this) stopped by Wally World yesterday and bought a few things. Canned meat was decimated as a whole. I haven't noticed a lot of shortages the past coupe of months and I do a pretty good job of checking in my area to keep a finger on the pulse. But, I have noticed a lesser supply of somethings time to time.

I (And I hate to admit this) stopped by Wally World yesterday and bought a few things. Canned meat was decimated as a whole. I haven't noticed a lot of shortages the past coupe of months and I do a pretty good job of checking in my area to keep a finger on the pulse. But, I have noticed a lesser supply of somethings time to time.
Canned meat is very plentiful here, but prices have gone up a little, especially canned chicken. There really aren't any shortages that last more than a day or two. I don't have any proof, but it looks to me like individual suppliers are having trouble filling orders sometimes. Like at the store the other day, there were barely any of the potato chips and corn chips made by Lay's, but other brands were well stocked. Dollar General has had problems with their milk deliveries being a day or two late here. I think Covid is probably throwing a curve into the logistics of supply right now...

The Mrs went to Costco today and was told that it was 'restocking day' to explain the mostly empty shelves.
They had none of the Slide® cat litter and were missing half of the laundry-detergents she uses.
Fortunately she stays more than a month ahead on both of these.
I mean, who would expect a run on 'cat TP'?:dunno:
She would.
nod.gif

Just something to think about, that we don't usually think about.

Ask a friend who works in a food processing plant is there shortages of supplies?
They get a lot of rice from China.
He said " not supplies, we are short of people, someone leaves every week.

Last edited:
The Mrs went to Costco today and was told that it was 'restocking day' to explain the mostly empty shelves.
They had none of the Slide® cat litter and were missing half of the laundry-detergents she uses.
Fortunately she stays more than a month ahead on both of these.
I mean, who would expect a run on 'cat TP'?:dunno:
She would.View attachment 71067
Just something to think about, that we don't usually think about.
Go to a auto parts store & get oil dry clay it is the same thing.

Last week I wanted BBQ. There's a locally owned fast food BBQ restaurant here that I only go to a couple of times a year. I checked their website to see what hours they're open now and got a surprise. This had been posted since October.

Good Morning. Due to the Lack of Help. Crazy Larrys BBQ now has NEW Operating Hours. They will be Monday- Saturday 10:30 Am- 3pm. Thank You and God Bless.

Scrolling back I saw that they've been posting the past several months that they're hiring for an evening shift but no luck. That's crazy to me. Then last night grandson was going to eat with his cousins and said he'd go pick something up for me before he left. I asked him to get me some enchiladas from Rosa's Cafe, a Texas fast food chain. It was about 7pm. He came back empty handed and said they were all out of enchiladas. What!!!??

There's a reason I have food put back and it's a good thing but I'm going to miss the convenience of going to a drive thru and those days are dwindling fast. Pork butts are on sale for 97 cents a pound so I'm going to get a couple in the morning and turn one of them into pulled pork for the freezer. I'm also thinking about making a big batch of tamales to freeze. I'll turn my kitchen into my own personal drive thru.

I timed this about right, money wise. Friday my cash envelope was finally empty, the one I keep at home. There is no more room in my pantry, I don't mean the shelves. There is no room left on the floor. I have little spots cleared where I can step. At this point I'm satisfied I did every thing I could to prep for the next 3 years. Is it enough? Probably not but I'm out of loose cash so it is what it is.

I just mentioned on the "What's Everyone Doing Today" thread that last night I ordered some blank Tshirts to make custom Tshirts for Christmas presents. I just saw this thread and thought this is definitely related.

It has been years since I ordered blank Tshirts from the wholesale warehouse and in the past it was normal for most everything to be in stock with hundreds or "1000+" being listing for each item in the "On Hand" column. Last night I was stunned when most everything I looked at showed ZERO available and most of what was in stock ranged from 10 to 50 to maybe about 100 available. It took A LOT of searching to find a decent brand/quality Tshirt available in the colors and sizes I needed. I had to settle for a dark heather grey (basically a medium grey, not too light not too dark) because that was the only thing available in sizes Small to XL. It took me about 20 minutes to come out of my surprise brain fog to realize all of these shirts and apparel items are made in China and probably stuck on ships off the coast. There is one company that I know of that makes the shirts in the USA but they are styled a little different (1" wide color and sleeve edges just look weird compared to the normal 5/8" collar) and they make very few colors, mainly white with some black and safety yellow so the Made In USA option is very limited and annoying. I am hoping to rebuild my retirement business now that I have my equipment back from the EX but if supplies are in very short supply it will make the start up rather difficult.

Back to the company that makes shirts in the USA. Years ago a friend started a silk screen company at the urging a support of some of his outlaw biker friends because they needed shirts made in a Union shop because Unions require all their shirts (and probably everything else) to be made in a Union shop. When Unions make up special Tshirts or poster boards or anything else for supporting political candidates or special events they have to have the little logo in the corner that says Union Made. But what catches me funny is that most all those shirts are made in China or Vietnam or some other southeast Asia company and it is VERY RARE to see any of their shirts made by Bayside, the company in California. Why do Unions demand Union shops provide all their stuff but they are OK with the blank goods being made in China by non-Union employees in sweat shops? Inquiring minds want to know.

@INresponse I have had a hard time getting blanks for 6-8 months or so. I have used most all of what I had on hand and haven’t been able to replace it all yet. I keep checking but none available.
The basic colors I use are sport grey, dark heather grey and heliconia (deep pink) but the GF wanted me to get darker colors because her kids prefer darker colors. I was able to get the shirts I wanted in the Anvil brand which is a slightly better alternative to Gildan so I was happy about that. Funny thing is today I was showing one of the boys the website explaining things were not available and some of the shirts I wanted in Gildan are now showing plenty of inventory so they must have updated their system this morning. My order is already filled and the shipping label is already made so it should ship in the morning. It was a relief to see the updated inventory because I am hoping to order more in a couple weeks.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store with a very short list, Philadelphia Cream Cheese was on the list, I couldn't find it. So I asked the guy working in the refrigerated cheese/dairy area where the regular Philly Creamed Cheese was, you would have thought I slapped his momma... He got loud and told me that they had been out since before Thanks Giving and they keep ordering it but they just can't get any in.... Apparently, they are also running a little low on patients.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store with a very short list, Philadelphia Cream Cheese was on the list, I couldn't find it. So I asked the guy working in the refrigerated cheese/dairy area where the regular Philly Creamed Cheese was, you would have thought I slapped his momma... He got loud and told me that they had been out since before Thanks Giving and they keep ordering it but they just can't get any in.... Apparently, they are also running a little low on patients.
I mentioned before in a previous post I suspect the big companies have contracts to produce the store brand stuff so I think they may be reducing the run of products under the brand name so they can produce more store brand products. Just a hunch, but worth a thought. And, yes, the store employees do get tired of the same question dozens of times a day. They are getting frustrated too, which isn't a big excuse for not being polite, but with my experience stocking shelves in a retail store it does wear on you. I always tried to be polite but some of my coworkers would sound off at times.

Zabar’s, a giant bagel place in New York, has been having a terrible time finding cream cheese for three months. There is a cream cheese shortage across the country. Not sure why. This shortage
Yea, IMHO they can get away with the BS in Germany & Australia because they have disarmed the populace. I don't think red-blooded Americans are willing to be pushed quite as far, especially in "red" states.

was in the New York Times yesterday or today.

I have 2 blocks in the fridge - meet ya at the garden gate, you can have one.

I have 2 blocks in the fridge - meet ya at the garden gate, you can have one.
It's all our fault. :(
I killed off half a block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese just last night scooping it with Ritz Toasted Chips.
Since I don't shop at the "lowest price" place, they always have plenty.👍

Not sure if this should go in the supply shortage or the rant for the day. Saturday I was Christmas/Grocery shopping. The one thing I could not find? Jameson Irish Whiskey. Honest. I had to go to several stores to find what I needed. No eye rolling please. This is a Christmas present for a neighbor who mows our back lawn. We are all good friends, and my personal stock of Jameson is just fine. Of all the things to be in short supply. :dunno:

Not sure if this should go in the supply shortage or the rant for the day. Saturday I was Christmas/Grocery shopping. The one thing I could not find? Jameson Irish Whiskey. Honest. I had to go to several stores to find what I needed. No eye rolling please. This is a Christmas present for a neighbor who mows our back lawn. We are all good friends, and my personal stock of Jameson is just fine. Of all the things to be in short supply. :dunno:
Is Irish whiskey the same as Irish cream or is it the whiskey used to make Irish cream? (Sorry if that’s an ignorant question). I make homemade Irish cream. We call it milking the Blarney cow.

Latest posts

Back