Switching To Solar/Wind - Green Washing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_friday

Friend
Neighbor
We need urgent help. Our power was cut a year ago for refusing a smart meter. We tried to get a solar system and ran into a wall of red tape from various sources. Meanwhile, we've been spending $3000 or more a month on gas for a gen.

Where do we get a solar system (Western Canada) without tons of red tape and excuses and avoidance? The solar company should be partnered with a finance company. Is there a financier that is not neck deep in fossil fuel investments?

Are we being totally Green Washed?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 000 solar system.jpg
    000 solar system.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
We need urgent help. Our power was cut a year ago for refusing a smart meter. We tried to get a solar system and ran into a wall of red tape from various sources. Meanwhile, we've been spending $3000 or more a month on gas for a gen.

Where do we get a solar system (Western Canada) without tons of red tape and excuses and avoidance? The solar company should be partnered with a finance company. Is there a financier that is not neck deep in fossil fuel investments?

Are we being totally Green Washed?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Can you order from Home Depot?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...Charger-Controller-RKIT800DPM-RVR60/314274561
You will still need an inverter and batteries.

What type of red tape are you running into?

Ben

We can run most of our stuff on our solar if we need to, and bought it ourselves at Home Depot and put it up. It's not that hard. You can buy a few kits ( comes with inverter and charge controller), get some wood and build a thing to put the panels on , put it together, plug in an extension cord and run it to your house. Oh, and get golf cart batteries, they work better. I guess I do need to be fair and tell you husband used to be an electrical engineer but he didn't work on anything like that. You do not need to attach your solar to the grid!!! Just plug in an extension cord and some power strips you can plug stuff into, just like you would with a generator
but, we are in SW VIrginia, you will get less sun in Canada I would imagine so you need more panels . We only spent about $1000 on our set ( not including the batteries) but it;s more now of course

We were forwarded to a solar company that was less than ethical and refused to listen to our wants. Between them and their partnered finance companies, we'd be better dealing with pay day loans.

We have been quoted by another solar company on a 55k complete system with batteries, etc.

We need the financing.

The last property appraiser nixed our solar deal by saying our home was worth nothing as it had no power and no heat or running water. No kidding!!!! That's why we need the loan for a solar system.

Each brick wall we hit is a completely different reason/excuse NOT to get a solar system.

We even have 5 30 foot hollow steel lamp poles suitable for wind turbine towers, but getting help there is near impossible. That includes talking to the wind experts at Otherpower.

Where are the specs. that detail how much concrete to pour, how deep, and how much re-bar to use as the tower foundation? I would not ask, but we have looked in all the obvious places.

How much power does a Home depot system generate? We're not fans of shopping there, so don't think of it as a go to.

With the financing arranged, we can move forward with the last quote we have.

Thanks for helping.

Can you order from Home Depot?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...Charger-Controller-RKIT800DPM-RVR60/314274561
You will still need an inverter and batteries.

What type of red tape are you running into?

Ben

Good to know about the pallets of panels at auction. How do we learn that BEFORE the auction?

BC.

We just found an Alberta company with office in Kelowna. We emailed and phoned. Zero response, days later.

Sorry, but we find it ridiculous and can't help but wonder if somehow, we are targeted/black listed.

When the power company brings the RCMP to help cut the power for not taking a smart meter . . . . . . . . .

what part of western canada, there are a few dealers around here, and there were pallets of panel s at a local auction.

Reactions: Neb
Home Depot sounding like maybe worth some research. Someone sent another link we're exploring.

As for install and operation, father and son are experienced with solar, micro hydro electric, and wind.

It's the red tape in getting a suitable system that frustrates.

Thanks all.

We can run most of our stuff on our solar if we need to, and bought it ourselves at Home Depot and put it up. It's not that hard. You can buy a few kits ( comes with inverter and charge controller), get some wood and build a thing to put the panels on , put it together, plug in an extension cord and run it to your house. Oh, and get golf cart batteries, they work better. I guess I do need to be fair and tell you husband used to be an electrical engineer but he didn't work on anything like that. You do not need to attach your solar to the grid!!! Just plug in an extension cord and some power strips you can plug stuff into, just like you would with a generator
but, we are in SW VIrginia, you will get less sun in Canada I would imagine so you need more panels . We only spent about $1000 on our set ( not including the batteries) but it;s more now of course

We were forwarded to a solar company that was less than ethical and refused to listen to our wants. Between them and their partnered finance companies, we'd be better dealing with pay day loans.

We have been quoted by another solar company on a 55k complete system with batteries, etc.

We need the financing.

The last property appraiser nixed our solar deal by saying our home was worth nothing as it had no power and no heat or running water. No kidding!!!! That's why we need the loan for a solar system.

Each brick wall we hit is a completely different reason/excuse NOT to get a solar system.

We even have 5 30 foot hollow steel lamp poles suitable for wind turbine towers, but getting help there is near impossible. That includes talking to the wind experts at Otherpower.

Where are the specs. that detail how much concrete to pour, how deep, and how much re-bar to use as the tower foundation? I would not ask, but we have looked in all the obvious places.

How much power does a Home depot system generate? We're not fans of shopping there, so don't think of it as a go to.

With the financing arranged, we can move forward with the last quote we have.

Thanks for helping.
I avoid borrowing money like the plague.

What are you running that required $3000 a month?

If you could cut the gas in half you could start small and gradually transition the loads to solar. Little bit at a time.

Ben

Home Depot sounding like maybe worth some research. Someone sent another link we're exploring.

As for install and operation, father and son are experienced with solar, micro hydro electric, and wind.

It's the red tape in getting a suitable system that frustrates.

Thanks all.
Go for it!

Ben

our gas gen and our truck living in a rural wilderness area.

We're going to do exactly that. Cut the gas gen.

We also avoid borrowing, but left with almost no choice now.

I avoid borrowing money like the plague.

What are you running that required $3000 a month?

If you could cut the gas in half you could start small and gradually transition the loads to solar. Little bit at a time.

Ben

Home Depot is probably an outlet for Grape Solar which is a great company to deal with, we bought our eight 195 watt monocrystaline panels from them, Grape Solar also sells kits through the Tractor Store, a friend of ours bought a 400 watt kit from them and I helped build the array frame, instead of using the PWM solar controller that came with the kit I had my friend get an MPPT controller, which is the type we have for our 1,560 watt solar array and it's extremely efficient in getting every bit of electricity generated by the panels into charging the batteries throughout the day, even on not so good weather days.

Contacted Grape. Thanks. We've been quoted by others on 430W panels.

It's not the equipment and those tech. details. It's working with a solar company partnered with a finance company that is our stumbling block.

Also, if someone knows the specs for a concrete foundation capable of supporting a 30 foot hollow steel lamp pole as a wind turbine, please share. We need to know the re-bar aspect also.

Home Depot is probably an outlet for Grape Solar which is a great company to deal with, we bought our eight 195 watt monocrystaline panels from them, Grape Solar also sells kits through the Tractor Store, a friend of ours bought a 400 watt kit from them and I helped build the array frame, instead of using the PWM solar controller that came with the kit I had my friend get an MPPT controller, which is the type we have for our 1,560 watt solar array and it's extremely efficient in getting every bit of electricity generated by the panels into charging the batteries throughout the day, even on not so good weather days.

I deal with off grid power consumers here in the rocky mountains of montana. And people that live way out in the bush and have 4 klm of impassable road just before their cabin.
Sounds like you have a money problem.
Some people use a small efficient gas generator for constant draw and then start up the big genny for pumping water and running the welder.
I have a ice box that uses 40 watts at 12 volts.......
If you have to commute to work get a economical beater with a heater and put high traction tires on it...I try to buy take off tires from family tire stores.
Some people I know run an inverter on their econo fuel injected car which provides their cabin power. They park the car next to the cabin and let it idle and it has enough charging capacity to run the 110 converter to run things.
Everyone makes choices and then has to deal with the results.

Contacted Grape. Thanks. We've been quoted by others on 430W panels.

It's not the equipment and those tech. details. It's working with a solar company partnered with a finance company that is our stumbling block.

Also, if someone knows the specs for a concrete foundation capable of supporting a 30 foot hollow steel lamp pole as a wind turbine, please share. We need to know the re-bar aspect also.
Re : finance

I cant help with a reference. Sorry

One option to consider is to accept the smart meter temporarily. Save tour gas money to fund your wind and solar. Once you have the minimal set up, stop using the power company and shut off the main breaker. The smart meter can record and report zero usage. In the day of ESG scores using zero energy is a bonus.

With the place running off the grid energy you get the financing you need.

But don't get me wrong. Debt is bad bad bad.

Re : concrete

I have a book on concrete but I took an oath to never practice outside my area of area of study.

Just having the book is not enough to answer the question. The peak loads due to max wind speed and design of the wind turbine would be required to answer the concrete and rebar question.

Checking with the turbine manufacturers would a good place to start since should be the subject matter experts.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

Yup, after all the Google search, it lead me here.
There are a lot of smart people here yes but speaking for myself... I can only suggest you either find a good website that covers footers etc.

If I was in your situation I would do a lot of focused searches then find a contractor and pay them to do a design and formal proposal.

Try here

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/planning-small-wind-electric-system
Or here

https://windexchange.energy.gov/small-wind-guidebook
Ben

Checked with them and concrete contractors.

Zero.

Like trade secrets.

Re : finance

I cant help with a reference. Sorry

One option to consider is to accept the smart meter temporarily. Save tour gas money to fund your wind and solar. Once you have the minimal set up, stop using the power company and shut off the main breaker. The smart meter can record and report zero usage. In the day of ESG scores using zero energy is a bonus.

With the place running off the grid energy you get the financing you need.

But don't get me wrong. Debt is bad bad bad.

Re : concrete

I have a book on concrete but I took an oath to never practice outside my area of area of study.

Just having the book is not enough to answer the question. The peak loads due to max wind speed and design of the wind turbine would be required to answer the concrete and rebar question.

Checking with the turbine manufacturers would a good place to start since should be the subject matter experts.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

Google is your friend for info like that.
Haha! I said that once on here a few years ago. Sentry was still active then and he told me that Google is not your friend. That is a whole different rabbit hole to go down, but Google may help you find what you are looking for, but they have some nefarious stuff going on. There might be a thread or two here about it.

If you are putting up a wind mill to generate power and you are back in the bush just make it strong and try it out with something like this. Altho where I am concrete would cost a lot. I lean towards a decently deep hole with rocks and a bit of concrete. Just put it far enough away from buildings so if it falls over it won't impact. Unless you have consistent strong wind without too strong of wind it is hard to make consistently useable power.
Probably cheap stuff but it looks interesting.

We're talking poles like this.

The curved p[art will be removed and the turbine custom fitted on top.

We have 5 poles like this. 2 without curves.

If you are putting up a wind mill to generate power and you are back in the bush just make it strong and try it out with something like this. Altho where I am concrete would cost a lot. I lean towards a decently deep hole with rocks and a bit of concrete. Just put it far enough away from buildings so if it falls over it won't impact. Unless you have consistent strong wind without too strong of wind it is hard to make consistently useable power.
Probably cheap stuff but it looks interesting.

Attachments

• P1011320.JPG
    P1011320.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 7
  • P1011318.JPG
    P1011318.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 7
I guess I can't post things from amazon....anyway they have 400 watt wind generators starting at $130. Like i have said I do generator repair for off gridders and unless they live in some very special places the wind generators don't come close to putting out what is advertised.

That is true of all electrical equipment. I tend to believe that average power usable is the advertised power minus 10% for each component in the series circuit. generator - 10% to battery controller - 10% into the batteries - 10%. Starting with 400 watts -10 is 360 watts from turbine -10% = 324 watts from the battery controller -10% = 292 watts into the batteries.

In real life you will never get perfect numbers - neither the advertised numbers nor a full 10% loss from each device. I tend to expect very conservative performance to the point that actual performance will be slightly better. The underlying aspect is the weather and what it will support as an average performance. How many average days per year will you get 30 mph winds and for how long?

We built the "cabin" 1000 feet below the peak of the mountain on the southern slope. We get excellent solar exposure with clear skies. During the winter we deal with snow removal and more clouds. On the other hand we get good winds up slope in the morning hours where there are no trees to slow it down. In the early evenings we get winds down hill as the air cools. There are often winds above 20 mph blowing through the valley but they are useless to us as they follow the valley some 2000 feet below us. On the upper slopes those winds are slowed by the trees and the structure of the granite mountain. as a result we decided not to use the wind generator and just incorporate the solar panels. This "cabin" was originally designed to be a storage building for equipment and a place to stay in as we built the house... It wasn't practical to build a house so I gave the cabin to my brother to live in when he moved up the mountain to live. He has made small modifications and added buildings around the cabin for a shop and to store equipment and wood. He has added more appliances and more panels along with a generator for backup and powering power tools. It all works for him. We visit once a year and he sometimes comes down to spend the winter with us. The building was put up 30 years ago and has not needed any repairs - not even to the roof in all this time. (I've been told I over-engineer everything but he's not complaining).

"Our power was cut a year ago for refusing a smart meter."
What wrong with a smart meter???

Nothing at all, as long as you don't mind a microwave radiation source connected to your home and you know that nobody dislikes you enough to hack your power bill and that includes the electric company.

Nothing at all, as long as you don't mind a microwave radiation source connected to your home and you know that nobody dislikes you enough to hack your power bill and that includes the electric company.
True, it is easier to raise the cost of Kesha.

Latest posts

Back